How does the 5.0 AWD Work? Also Gas mileage? + More questions. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How does the 5.0 AWD Work? Also Gas mileage? + More questions.

1 MPG, wow. My Heep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 I-6 also gets same MPG as 5.0 Exploder.

Nothing beats a 5.0, glad to see Ford using one again. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Time to dig up an old thread again. :)
Its been discussed the mechanical differences in the AWD, 4WD, and 2WD. Got it. But just what are the AWD limitations. I got that its great in snow, but what would u draw the line at? What kind of terrain would u take a 4WD on that you would hesitate (or refuse) to take an AWD on... given equal tires, lift, etc.

on road driving, weather related conditions AWD is there when you need it. no thinking required. off road driving, loose rocks, gravel steep hills and mud... selectable 4wd is better and more robust.

The only drawback I see is no low range with all wheel drive. The truck is relatively light but all the things that might grenade in 4wd-axle shafts, mostly-are going to do the same with AWD

Bill

the viscous coupling in the BW4405 t-case can overheat and cause premature failure in heavy off road use. that, and not having 4wd LO, make it less desirable for off-road use. if you want the v8 with true off road capability, install the manual BW4406 t-case out of an F150. for light off-road use the AWD is fine.

98 5.0 explorer

So I currently have a 2000 f150 I use for work, an looking into a second car/play toy,
I'm looking into a 98 explorer awd with the 5.0, it has high miles, it's got 185k would it be worth getting with that high of miles, it's gunna be used as a Sunday drive type car, maybe a few easy trails here an there
an how well does the awd work in these?

So I currently have a 2000 f150 I use for work, an looking into a second car/play toy,
I'm looking into a 98 explorer awd with the 5.0, it has high miles, it's got 185k would it be worth getting with that high of miles, it's gunna be used as a Sunday drive type car, maybe a few easy trails here an there
an how well does the awd work in these?

185,000 miles is about typical for a vehicle of that age. I have four 5.0's (three 2000's and a 2001). they all have just around 200K on them and none of them has any problems. my AWD gets about 1 mile less MPG than my three 2WD's (16 city/22 hwy). I find the 5.0 engines (and transmissions) are very reliable and dependable. I figure I should have no problem getting another 100K+ out of them. the AWD works well on the street and should be fine for trails, just not as good as 4WD for more HD off-road use.

Tip: when looking at an AWD, make sure the front drive shaft hasn't been pulled and that all 4 tires are the same size w/the same thread wear.

185,000 miles is about typical for a vehicle of that age. I have four 5.0's (three 2000's and a 2001). they all have just around 200K on them and none of them has any problems. my AWD gets about 1 mile less MPG than my three 2WD's (16 city/22 hwy). I find the 5.0 engines (and transmissions) are very reliable and dependable. I figure I should have no problem getting another 100K+ out of them. the AWD works well on the street and should be fine for trails, just not as good as 4WD for more HD off-road use.

Tip: when looking at an AWD, make sure the front drive shaft hasn't been pulled and that all 4 tires are the same size w/the same thread wear.

Would it be worth getting or shop for a 2wd, I eventually want a mild prerunner build, but that's won't be for a while Or swap to a 2wd trans? 5.0s are hard to find in reno, all I see are 4.0

Would it be worth getting or shop for a 2wd, I eventually want a mild prerunner build, but that's won't be for a while Or swap to a 2wd trans? 5.0s are hard to find in reno, all I see are 4.0

the disadvantages with the AWD are increased weight and complexity. The 2wd's are fine, but if you off-road and/or drive in snow, AWD is better. another thing you can do with the AWD is to install an F150 x-fer case to make it true 4WD. for where I live (and how/where I drive) AWD and 4WD offer no advantage. the AWD I own was actually a mistake, it was advertised as a 2WD, but it hasn't given me any problems in the 2 years I've owned it.

the AWD works using a viscous coupling in the t-case (which is technically a center differential). normally 35% of the engine's power is sent to the front wheels and 65% goes to the rear, unless slippage is sensed. the viscous coupling is filled with a substance which stiffens when it is heated, thereby sending more power to the front wheels. having tires of different diameter and/or excessive, prolonged slippage can overheat and ruin the coupling.

Back