Does Transmission Tune get lost when Battery is Disconnected ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does Transmission Tune get lost when Battery is Disconnected ?

mjp3262

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4.6L V8
I had my transmission replaced about a year and a half ago. It has been running great but I noticed that during CC, if I tried to increase speed with just 1 or 2 clicks, the engine would downshift and RPM would go over 3000 just to go 1 - 2 MPH faster. Now recently, I had disconnected the battery to clean the engine and noticed that the Tranny doesn't go to the high RPM's anymore and is actually running better than since I had it replaced a year and a half ago. My question is, is it possible the Tranny Shop put a new tune spec. for the Tranny and since i disconnected the battery, has it reverted back to Factory tuned specs ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think they did anything to the tuning. If you unhook the battery long enough, yes, it will re-learn your driving. But, I'd more suspect that the 1-2 click CC thing was a product of either a slight incline, headwind, where you were in the RPM range or if the engine was decelerating when you decided to speed it up low int he RPM range.

The info for the relearning procedure is in the owners manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

From my owners manual:

RelearnProcedureCustom.jpg

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

I've always wondered who's definition of "optimum shift feel" they employed... :)

Some engineer in a glass tower who always had a driver. :p:

the 5 speed yes it loses its learned. the 6r60 does not.

Yeah I know about the relearning and I've done that before but if someone programmed a new "Tune" for the Tranny, would that tune be lost if the battery is disconnected?

Yeah I know about the relearning and I've done that before but if someone programmed a new "Tune" for the Tranny, would that tune be lost if the battery is disconnected?

No it should not. "tunes" are falshed into the PCM memory and not lost when the battery is disconnected. some "learned" parameters are reset and that is why you need to do the relearn procedure.

Back