Replaced front wheel bearing, but still have a noise.. your opinion? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced front wheel bearing, but still have a noise.. your opinion?

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
Its my 04 Explorer 4x4

Noise seems to be most evident in the drivers front corner at about 40-50 mph.
But you can hear it while coming to a stop.
Its a rumble sound/hum sound
When at speed, it gets worse with a slight turn to the left.
quieter with a slight turn to the right.
Making me believe it was the drivers bearing that was gone since more outward pressure would be on it when turning left.:Do No:

I put a new bearing on the drivers side but the noise is still there.

Since the noise changes with left and right stress I don't think it could be the front drive shaft?
The only other thing I can think of is the axle shaft.

any opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires are not that old, little over 5k on them.. but likely due for a rotation..

I will try that tomorrow... cost $0

A few pictures

Jacked up
IMG_3057.jpg

Caliper/bracket off
IMG_3060.jpg

Old Bearing/Hub off, new bolts
IMG_3064.jpg

New Bearing/Hub installed
IMG_3066.jpg

Back together
IMG_3067.jpg

replace the right front too. Mine did this a 4-5 years ago. I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that it was the right front bearing making noise. I had both of them replaced to be sure. When I had teh old ones in my hand the left front was worse. I could no even turn it by hand.

Replace the pass side bearing.

replace the right front too. Mine did this a 4-5 years ago. I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that it was the right front bearing making noise. I had both of them replaced to be sure. When I had the old ones in my hand the left front was worse. I could no even turn it by hand.

I have done the exact same thing. I replaced the one on the right side, noise did not go away. So I took the one I thought was bad and swapped it with the one on the left, and viola! Problem solved.

Hey Curtis, before I checked I would have sworn that my drivers side bearing was the the one making the noise but found out that the passenger side bearing was looser by far. I change them both while I was at it and found drivers side was overheating so it was a good thing I got it also. I now know its done and they are both the same age.

If you are able to verify that the passenger side bearing is OK, then I'd move on to the differential. Mine went bad and I went through the same thing.

So I should post here before I replace any parts in the future.
I was sure the nose was drivers side.

Yesterday I rotated the tires with no better results
So off to get another new bearing.

Replaced the passenger side and the noise is gone.

BUT I found another noise!
When I get hard on the brakes, I get a grinding in the drivers front wheel, like the brakes are worn out.
I put pads and rotors on the truck just a couple months ago, replaced under Autozone life time warranty, They are Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads
They're supposed to be quiet "Maximum ceramic brake pads have a friction material that is formulated for ultra quiet stopping performance with low dust and a longer life as well as shorter stopping distances "

I don't know what else could make a grinding noise :Do No:

Back