How do I turn off the auto tint on my rear view on my 02 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I turn off the auto tint on my rear view on my 02 limited

Tuflehundon

Reaction score
City, State
Pinellas Park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Limited V8
So I have an 02 Explorer Limited 4.6L. It has an auto tinter function (don't know what else to call it) on the rear view mirror. There is a sensor that can tell when it's daylight or night on the mirror, and there is also an on / off switch. I hate it. I wear polarized prescription sunglasses during the day. so when this turns on, I can't see anything in the mirror.

I also drive a lot. I do Inspections for Insurance Underwriters, so I will make 10 or so stops in a day while at work. I would like to know if there is a way to disable this function. I never use it, and always end up turning it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my 02 i used to have to turn it off all the time too! I hated it! But i just unplugged the connector from my mirror and it stayed off however i did lose my compass too!

Might have to do that. Don't care if I loose the compass, I never use that anyways since I have a GPS.

My 02 Eddie Bauer has a switch to turn it off on the front bottom of the rear view mirror

A switch or a button? Mine had a button but I had to push it every time the vehicle got turned of then back on! If his has a switch then maybe you can hit up some scrap yards til you find one like that?

It's a button sorry about that. Doesn't bother me I just leave it on . On my mothers 06 taurus there no button at all ! At least we have the option to turn it off

Also the rear view mirror has an ambient light sensor should'nt tint during the daytime. To test it just cover it up sensor on the other side of the mirror you will see it tint.

Update on this. It's been a while. Ended up giving the truck to my Wife for 2 years and she didn't mind the auto tint thing. I hated it.

Got the truck back a couple of weeks ago when we got her a new truck. I unplugged the connector on the back of the mirror. I did not loose my compass.

Found out the reason it was always tinting the mirror is because of the tint I have in the back. It would make it think it was dark out and it would auto tint everytime. Doesn't do it anymore so I am happy with it.

Not positive but I think a press & hold will toggle the on/off and it remembers.

Back