BF All-terrain 285/55/R20 on the 2011 EXP Limited? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BF All-terrain 285/55/R20 on the 2011 EXP Limited?

Your Ford dealer can meet or beat anyone's price on the same tire.

My dealer sells their tires with a special "never go flat" foam injected into them! That is until the foam oozes out.:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming your talking about going one size larger than the OEM 255/50/20's, correct? Reason I ask is, I eventually want to go one size higher (265/50/20). Yeah, some of you are probably thinking, why go one size higher if it's a very small difference in size from OEM? My personal opinion is, I think the tire will fill the wheel alot nicer. That's just me. My next question is, do I need to recalibrate the speedometer? I want it to be as accurate as possible. If there's a programmer available for a 2012 Explorer, I'd like to get my hands on one to put a fix on this.

No.

The OP tried to use 285's. which is wayyy to big. thus, my comment about how goofy a 285 would look on a new ex.

265 seems to be the largest that has successfully fit without rubbing (so far), but does require recalibration.

No.

The OP tried to use 285's. which is wayyy to big. thus, my comment about how goofy a 285 would look on a new ex.

265 seems to be the largest that has successfully fit without rubbing (so far), but does require recalibration.

jcerrion,
Yeah I know that, I was responding your comment about upsizing to the larger 265 tire. You said you would eventually go to a 265, which is what I want to do when these Hankooks wear out. I figured maybe you or someone else here knew where to find a progammer to do the recalibration. BTW, I called Discount Tire and Asst Mgr said they don't recalibrate speedometers. He said the best bet would be the dealer.

yeah honestly i wouldnt trust anyone other than my dealer. (I have a great one here in TN).

Havent made the jump to larger tires yet, because i may be in need of trading for an f-150 later this year.

I'm assuming your talking about going one size larger than the OEM 255/50/20's, correct? Reason I ask is, I eventually want to go one size higher (265/50/20). Yeah, some of you are probably thinking, why go one size higher if it's a very small difference in size from OEM? My personal opinion is, I think the tire will fill the wheel alot nicer. That's just me. My next question is, do I need to recalibrate the speedometer? I want it to be as accurate as possible. If there's a programmer available for a 2012 Explorer, I'd like to get my hands on one to put a fix on this.
With the 265 tires your diameter difference is 1.32%, well within the 3% max.
Your speedo will read 1.331% slower meaning at 60mph it will register 59.2.

Peter

holy crap... 285...? really?

The largest ive seen successfully fit so far is 265/60/18 BFG does not make AT's this size though.

Hankook has an RF-10 tire that has a similar tread/ aggressive pattern.

Any pics of the 265/60/18s on an Exp?

Any pics of the 265/60/18s on an Exp?
For your info, if you replace the stock XLT OEM tires (245/60R18) with the 265/60R18's you will exceed the recommended diameter difference. The recommended maximum difference should not be more that 3%. The difference here would be 3.09%. The extra weight, width and rolling resistance would also likely reduce gas mileage

Peter

This what I'm running on my Limited. Yokohama Parada-Spec-X (just the tire not the wheel). I wanted something a little more aggressive than the OEM Hankooks which I took off the same day I picked up the Ex from the dealer. Since our vehicles are not true 'off roaders', I didn't think I needed any more aggressive tire. I take the 20's off for winter and use BFG Winter Slalom KSI on 17" base model wheels.

Peter

Attachments

• yokohama_parada_specx.jpg
    yokohama_parada_specx.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 642

I'm still wondering if there's a programmer available yet to recalibrate the speedometer. Eventually I want to upsize to 265/50/20 tires, but I also want my speedometer to be 100% accurate. I actually called the dealer, spoke to a service advisor to ask if they can recalibrate it here. He says he didn't know if it could be done and said he'd call me back with an answer. Well...he never called back.

I'm still wondering if there's a programmer available yet to recalibrate the speedometer. Eventually I want to upsize to 265/50/20 tires, but I also want my speedometer to be 100% accurate. I actually called the dealer, spoke to a service advisor to ask if they can recalibrate it here. He says he didn't know if it could be done and said he'd call me back with an answer. Well...he never called back.
If you are going from a 255/50R20 to a 265/50R20 the diameter difference is only 1.32% meaning that when your speed reads 60mph, you will actually be going 59.2mph (1.331% slower). Is that really worth getting everything recalibrated?
I don't think Ford dealers will do the adjustments since it could be a liability issue. The manual carries a warning which in part states to replace tires and wheels only with those that are the same size, load index, speed rating and type (such as P-metric vs LT-metric or all-season vs all-terrain).........etc.

Peter

Toyo Open Country At's in P275/55R20 I think would fit. Looking at the math they are not that much larger, but they are 32's. Not sure what that is going to do to fuel economy

Toyo Open Country At's in P275/55R20 I think would fit. Looking at the math they are not that much larger, but they are 32's. Not sure what that is going to do to fuel economy
If you are talking about replacing 255/50R20 with 275/55R20, the diameter far exceeds the recommended max of 3%. Not a good thing to do. The difference would be 5.87%. At 60 mph on your speedo you would actually be doing 56.4 mph.

Peter

Back