Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
gpzrider said:
The smell is exhaust being pulled into the passenger cabin by the rear air conditioning system. Apparently the rear recirculation vent is pulling in exhaust from the rear of the vehicle.

If this is the case I imagine this will end up being a recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are those even real words?? I think you're just making them up as you go along so I can't use spell check on them. :D
Usually a sulphur type smell is associated with the catalytic converter. It is not unusual to smell it at times after hard acceleration.

NOTE: Keep your friend in the back seat!;)

Peter

Those are fine words and I stand by them :D

The smell is what is leading us to think that it is exhaust, and while I will agree with you that it is not unusual to smell it after hard acceleration, I do assert that it is unusual to smell it in the car that is doing the acceleration!

As for our friend, he still proclaims his innocence!

I'll post a copy of my service invoice so you can see it on official ford letterhead.

Thanks for the offer Cory. I'll be taking it in for an oil change before the big road trip and I will mention it then, to at least get it documented...
This sounds great, VinceL; thanks for the update.

The smell is exhaust being pulled into the passenger cabin by the rear air conditioning system...
gpzrider,

In case you haven’t seen yet, I sent you a follow-up PM.

Cory

It does smell like catalytic converter to me.

The smell is exhaust being pulled into the passenger cabin by the rear air conditioning system. Apparently the rear recirculation vent is pulling in exhaust from the rear of the vehicle. My Ex just spent 3 weeks at the dealer, a Ford Tech was called out and the result is....we'll figure out how to fix the design flaw by the end of the year.

Just noticed mine today smelled pretty bad. Not happy that they said we’ll just figure it out at the end of the year. At least they are working on it.
- Justin

Just like the MFT problems; they think as long as it's fixed before you finally get rid of the car you will be satisfied/they've done their part?

Definitely won't be keeping this vehicle as long as my 1998 F150 with 236,000 miles.

Just noticed mine today smelled pretty bad. Not happy that they said we’ll just figure it out at the end of the year. At least they are working on it.
- Justin

Just like the MFT problems; they think as long as it's fixed before you finally get rid of the car you will be satisfied/they've done their part?

Definitely won't be keeping this vehicle as long as my 1998 F150 with 236,000 miles.

Mines leased so I have no choice. LOL

All this smelly AC sounds like a clogged or defective PCV valve, when clogged it can cause poor engine performance, dirty air cleaner, and can cause fumes to be directed into the cabin, as well as a rough idle. But lets just focus on the smelly fumes when AC is on....;)

Anyone hear anything else on this problem? I took mine in a few weeks ago - dealer said ford was working on a "fix" and the service manager would call me when the fix was posted...

Last week we saw this TSB come out...

TSB
12-8-8 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

Publication Date: August 14, 2012

FORD: 2012-2013 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2012-2013 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L TI-VCT engine and built on or before 7/9/2012 may exhibit a foul, rotten-egg type odor coming from the cooling system or components, typically after coming to a stop with the climate control recirculation door in the fresh air mode.

But this TSB doesn't seem to be related to the "Hard Acceleration" smell. It states "after coming to a stop - with the AC in fresh air"

I only have the "smell" after hard acceleration - with the AC on recirculate.

Has anyone had this TSB done? Did it fix the hard acceleration smell also?

I am also wondering if it is supposed to be the same issue as the "hard acceleration" smell. Oh, and mine is a 2011.

Well, as the OP of this thread I thought I would update my findings. Keep in mind that my 2011 did not have a rotten egg smell. It is crankcase fumes.
Being an ASE certified mechanic for many years, I think you can believe me
when I say this.

After my own, and the dealers service techs investigations, there was still no
answer.

I happen to be working with a very good Ford dealer. And was able to work a very good deal on trading my stink bomb in for a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost loaded out with everything. I know the owner and that's why I got the deal. I've had it for 2 months now, and it is quite a fine ride.:D

I feel for the rest of you, and hope Ford actually does something eventually to fix this issue. For me I won't be back to this forum anymore as I don't have the Exploder any more.

Good luck!

Does anyone have a TSB number from Ford that addresses the concern of a bad smell in the cabin upon hard acceleration? My Ford dealer cant find anything on this.

Mike

Anyone have updates on what Ford is saying about the smell ????

Does anyone have a TSB number from Ford that addresses the concern of a bad smell in the cabin upon hard acceleration? My Ford dealer cant find anything on this.

Mike
There is no TSB for that Mike. There is one for the bad odour from the cooling system as posted in this thread but nothing for the acceleration issue. You will sometimes get a sulphur type smell on hard acceleration and that has to do with the catalytic converter and is considered normal I believe.
I noticed it once in my previous Highlander. I haven't noticed it with the Ex but then I seldom am under a 'hard acceleration' situation.

Peter

The smell we are getting under hard acceleration is nothing anywhere near normal.

After my own, and the dealers service techs investigations, there was still no
answer.

This is my first post, I found this forum doing a Google search for this smell.

I have smelled this odor twice, both times under hard acceleration. My wife noticed it too, so it had to be bad.

I took it to the dealer for a scheduled oil change yesterday. I told them I was not happy (my words weren't that nice). I bought the Explorer used, but it's a certified Limited...loaded. Had I noticed this odor prior to shelling out the big bucks I'd still be driving the Fusion, it never smelled.

The dealer knew nothing and could find nothing via Ford. Looks like I may have to consider trading it in, if no fix can be found.

I just wonder what amount of toxic fumes are getting into the cabin that we don't notice, since we're not forcing a larger amount in under hard acceleration.

Oh, and hello. :wavey:

I drive around with a canary in a cage with me so I know if the fumes become toxic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my first post, I found this forum doing a Google search for this smell.

I have smelled this odor twice, both times under hard acceleration. My wife noticed it too, so it had to be bad.

I took it to the dealer for a scheduled oil change yesterday. I told them I was not happy (my words weren't that nice). I bought the Explorer used, but it's a certified Limited...loaded. Had I noticed this odor prior to shelling out the big bucks I'd still be driving the Fusion, it never smelled.

The dealer knew nothing and could find nothing via Ford. Looks like I may have to consider trading it in, if no fix can be found.

I just wonder what amount of toxic fumes are getting into the cabin that we don't notice, since we're not forcing a larger amount in under hard acceleration.

Oh, and hello. :wavey:
Welcome to the Forum tjEXPLORER11.:wavey:
Is this smell evident under normal acceleration? Do you notice it at all when the vehicle is idling?

Peter

Back