• Register Today It's free!

Massive Wheel Movement

RobbyKlotz

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Last year we changed cv joints and hubs on my 97ex. Today I jacked up the front end to change out brake pads and i noticed that my drivers side wheel has a lot of movement in all directions.

I am going to assume the hub is shot, would this be correct? :mad:

Sounds about right, I replaced one on a Lincoln Conti about 3 weeks ago and could not believe the guy was still riding it, so sloppy.

I figured it was. Waiting on the wife to run and get a 32mm socket for me. Left the other one in my dads tool box at his house.

I am hard of hearing, and usually have the radio loud so I never heard anything. My wife said he was driving funny, but I wrote it off to having a crappy suspension, big wheels and low-pro tires. I was shocked when I noticed the amount of movement from the hub assembly, and a little scared.

Got the new hub installed, decided to go ahead and replace the tire rod end on that side, boot was ripped and it looked pretty rough.

Only thing is, the bolt on the new one is a little shorter than the old one. Is there some trick to making it line up properly? It's just slightly off but I can't get it to go all the way through.

Back