Any way to inspect 4405 before install? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any way to inspect 4405 before install?

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
I have another transfer case from a truck that i scrapped and i was looking for some pointers as to inspection/tests i could possibly do before installing it to make sure im not wasting my time or setting myself back. Any help is appreciated. I just cant wait to get it in but would like to have some reassurance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sample the fluid if there is any left in it...look for white plastic fragments, and of course metallic pieces as well. Look for signs of leakage around the shafts. Check the bearing by hand. Check for range shifting by hand. If yours has a speedometer, take a peek in there with a light, to see if the gear is chewed up. Only other thing would be to crack it open. That's all I can think of right now.

Sounds like a good start to me. Should there be ANY play in the out/input shaft? I know the one in my truck now has alot of slop at the rear driveshaft and i did a quick shake on the replacement and seems alot tighter.

also i dont have the cv driveshaft.

I know when somethings arent used at all or often they can fail, also alot of people i talk to in general state they never use 4wd. Are these t-cases under the category of no use is abuse? And would it be possible to engage the shift motor with my power probe and test the function of it and the t case?

Sorry, not familiar with the power probe. But I do suppose you could just plug your harness into the motor for a test.

If i decide to crack open the case would i be safe cleaning it out with brakleen?

Yep.

Awesome if got gallons of it!

Cool. Make sure to use the tabs for cracking the case...JFC I just had a 4404 in here some yahoo had driven chisels in there to open it up...jeez it burred the mating surfaces all up, and so I had to use a file to deck it back down so I could get a good seal. No need to scrape those surfaces either, hit it with your cleaner, then rub it with a rag and good ol elbow grease, it will take the old silicone right off of there IF you decide you want to open it up. For me, since I've done a few TCase R&Rs and have air tools, it doesn't take very long at all to put one in. So maybe you want to just try it as is before you go opening it up, maybe not, your call. Best wishes.

they never use 4wd. Are these t-cases under the category of no use is abuse?

You're always using the transfer case, even if you're in 2WD.

The worn shift rail bores can happen to a t-case that has never been in 4WD. The wear comes from decelerating. The design of the case doesn't hold the rear output shaft all that well and over time it will push up on deceleration and cause the hi/low collar to rub the shift fork.

Ive got her soaking down in purple power now for a mini tear down. So your reffering to the nylon quides for the collar? If they are toast or non existant as long as the collar is still acceptable best bet would be to replace them obviously, but would they be available with out having to buy a master kit? As far as my t-case in the truck now it seems as if the chain is slipping, is that possible or would it be another issue making it seem that way? Also at the beginning of the season i flushed it only to find mud and glop spooging out of it, so im sure it wouldve done more damage. My vent line apparently dry rotted and dissappeared sucking in mother nature, for god knows how long. As tedious as it seems id like to throw the new one in (mildly freshend) and try to ressurect my current one but if its been destroyed it may not be worth it.

one quicky, i did pay attention when pulling the tcase out of the donor but how much t-fluid should i expect to lose out of the trans when i yank the t-case

Depends on the angle of the truck...maybe half a quart or so if the front end is raised, not much at all if on a lift.

I remember draining the tcase on a lift then seperating them and for some reason I think I took a bath

That is correct. That one small puck in the valve body is called the EXTENSION HOUSING LUBE ORIFICE. It regulates a small amount of ATF into the extension housing. So there will be some juice in there. I just really don't know exactly how much.

Here is an quick example of what is happening now. Over my little cousins house.......http://youtu.be/sQYjuWf18hQ Just figured id throw this out there to show why im doing this in the first place, dont know if the chain is stretched or what. even if im in 4lo cruising at idle and tap the gas the slightest thats the response im getting

Thats not the chain. Thats the sun gear not engaging properly. That case, more then likely, has worn out/missing bushings on the high/low shift fork or the rear case is worn where the shift rail sits.

You'll probably lose reverse next.

hmmm i could lose reverse because of the t-case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back