Sustainable towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sustainable towing

Nightlight58

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on the new Explorers ability to tow a 5000 pound payload over long distances with rolling hills and mountainous areas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure i would do that with an Explorer, your already at the max towing rate! It might be doable on flat roads but the mountains would really stress the tranny. You need an F150 for that task.

Actually the payload is about 3600 pounds but with wind resistance it has to pull like 5000 or more. I have a 2005 ex that does it without issue. Can this model handle it?

Should, is this a one trip tow? Or it is through out its life?

Also, are you in hurry?

We make this trip yearly about 1400 miles (round trip), and would like to continue with a new ex. I'm not in a hurry because this trip will not occur until next June!

are you pulling a travel trailer?

if so, 3,600 lbs is right at the upper limit in my opinion. We tow a travel trailer about the same weight and it does it, not great on gas, but does it fine.

We have not gone over mountains but on rolling hills it seems ok. The engine can rev pretty high going up hills, but it does stay at a steady RPM and you don't lose too much speed.

May sure you have a weight distributing hitch and sway bars as well.

We tow 200 - 300 miles at a time and have no problems
good luck

I've pulled about 4500 lbs several times with my 11 without a problem. I tow our two mustangs on a steel trailer and have towed up into the Pocono mountains. The Explorer handled it very well. My trips were around 300 miles round trip.

Nightlite, I pull a 19.5ft x8ft wide Rockwood Minilite, model 2109s, dry weight 3679lbs, with everything loaded for a trip, gross weight 4239, (weight at CAT scales). Go to the towing limitations for Ford on their site, I'll try to explain. There are frontal wind resistance limitations, I believe the Ex is 40square feet exposed for the Trailer you my pull. You can determine approx by looking at exposed surface when hitched up.
Like a armchair says the WDH is very important, also the type I found out for unibody type vehicles, I went with Reese SC, Trunion type bars. I have towed all through CA this past summer, it can be very challenging on the mountains, in the TOW mode on level or rolling hills she does alright, no speed records, mountains, like the Grape Vine (into Southern CA) 3900rpms in 2nd gear, 35-40 mph, using manual shifting to give the engine a break was the only way. F150 would be better for sure in the mountains.
While there camping I ran into a gentlemen who has a 2012 XLT pulling a Palemino Trailer, 18 ft, but a great item on his roof rack, here's the link; http://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-wind-deflector-wd500-series/
I purchased one two weeks ago, havent gone on a trip yet, but the person states, it really helps the frontal drag a lot, his mileage at first was like the rest who pull TT, about 9-12mpg, he states the adjustable spoiler gets the wind off the TT and makes the pull much better, and he averages13-16mpg. I only have an IPad right now, my normal desktop is broke so I can't post pics, but I'll try to post some when repaired.

With all this said, the slickness of the new Ex really dumps the air right on the front of TT, so take heed on the those limitations, the lighter the better if you can! Hope all this helps, (by the way, everywhere we camp, folks always ask us, you tow that with an EX? Yes I do! Maybe better with spoiler on roof rack now! More to follow.

Just finished three weeks of holidays with our 2011 XLT towing our 4450 lbs (scaled weight loaded) 2012 Jayco jay feather model 228 25' travel trailer (just over 2000 kms) around Alberta, Canada. Part of our trip was heading from Edmonton, Alberta to Jasper, Alberta which is in the Canadian Rockies. I drive between 90 and 95 kms/hr while towing and gas mileage for the trip averaged between 10-11 mpg (hand calculated). The Explorer towed comfortably but you will not be able to make any speed records. There were episodes where the truck struggled but was able to make the climb by slowing down and taking our time. As long as you are willing to take it easy and not push it too hard it, works well. Hope the attached pics work here as I am trying to post from my iPhone... Ryan

vNganqrj

http://db.tt/vNganqrj

fAyNuSEW

http://db.tt/fAyNuSEW

As well, Spengracin, Please post pics of the Aeroshield once you have it on. I have been eyeing one but am not sure how it would install on the back of the ex between the roof rack and the tailgate. I would like to see someone else who has one and how it installs before pulling the trigger and getting one. I cannot have it sit on the roof rack as this is where we carry the bikes. Thanks! Ryan

Actually the payload is about 3600 pounds but with wind resistance it has to pull like 5000 or more. I have a 2005 ex that does it without issue. Can this model handle it?
"Payload"???
Do you mean the amount of stuff you are putting in the camper (payload) is 3600 lbs? If that's the case, not a chance!

Or do you mean the dry weight of the trailer is 3600 lbs? If that's the case, this may or may not work.

Or do you mean the loaded weight of the camper is 3600 lbs. If that's the case, Explorer is probably OK.

Here is the 2012 Ford Towing Guide
Read this thoroughly. On page 23, you will see the specifics for the Explorer's ratings. Note that w/o the optional towing package, it will only tow 2000 lbs and has 6800-7000 lbs GCVWR. With towing package, you can tow a MAX of 5000 lbs, and have GCVWR of 10,125 lbs.

GCVWR = curb weight + max tow rating. Rearranging you get:
Actual tow rating = GCVWR - curb weight - 150 lb driver. That's:
10125 - 4557 - 150 = 5418 lbs

So 5418 lbs is what I call your "hauling" ability. It's the total weight of the loaded trailer, plus any passengers and cargo in the Explorer. So you can use the full 5000 lbs "MAX" if you put no more than about 400 lbs of people and stuff in the truck. Any more stuff, and the actual tow rating drops accordingly.

Back