Axle Shaft Damper 5th shock question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Shaft Damper 5th shock question

gonenuke

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT SOHC
Hi
Just a quick question.

I am replacing rear bushings and 5th shock on my truck. I just received a Monroe SC2958 Magnum Axle Shaft Damper.

Open.jpg

Should this act lik a regular shock, when you compress it should it re-open by itself?

When I compress this one. very easy to do by hand, it just stays compressed.

compressed.jpg

Just want to check before I install or send back.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most all shocks are nitrogen charged. The nitrogen helps prevent the fluid from foaming.
Being this is an axel damper and isn't positioned vertically there may not be a need for the gas charge. The shock should have adequate resistance in both directions.

Nope, send it back. I recall that shock being plenty stiff. The idea is to create plenty of damping for the rear of the truck.

Nope, send it back. I recall that shock being plenty stiff. The idea is to create plenty of damping for the rear of the truck.

Yeah "easily compressed by hand" is not what I recall either...I had to put one end on the ground, two hands on the other, and put all my weight on it to get any movement at all.

Thanks for the replies. I thought I had read somewhere that it was supposed to have some pressure, making it fun to work with while putting it on. Going to send it back and get a new one.

My Monroe axle shock failed in short order. I tossed it in the garbage where it belonged and replaced it with a Bilstein. Huge difference in quality and performance. More expensive, but I guess in this case you get what you pay for....

BK

Do you have a part # for that Bilstein?

My Monroe axle shock failed in short order. I tossed it in the garbage where it belonged and replaced it with a Bilstein. Huge difference in quality and performance. More expensive, but I guess in this case you get what you pay for....

BK

You're not the only one to say this...

Go Bilstein or go home I guess.

Do you have a part # for that Bilstein?

Just found the box. For my '97 4x4 it's Bilstein p/n F4-B36-2135-H0. Made in Germany.

BTW, it has substantial resistance to compression due to gas pressurization and is damped in both directions. Bit of a pain to install.

BK

309o3zd.jpg

I found the old Ford one I took off - it is rusted to crap but it is nearly impossible to move it. I am going to check the Monroe one later to see if it is still as stiff as it was when I installed it. It is cheap but from what I read it isn't the greatest.

The OEM could likely be the Bilstien.

An impact with extensions (electric or air) is helpful to install these shocks.

Wow, the Bilstien one is close to $100.

Yes, defiantly using a impact wrench. (Craftsman Cordless) Front and rear only 35min to replace didn’t even have to drop the box on the right rear just reached over it with a ratcheting box end wrench.

All things considered with my shock I am sending it back for a new one. Would like the Bilstein’s but $99 the price I found the damper for, as compared to $30 for the Monroe is a large chunk of change out of my wallet when its already mighty thin. Maybe next time I will get the Bilstein’s.

EDIT: Just returned the shock to Amazon, new price $28.03 free shipping.

If it is any comfort, I have been using the Monroe HARD for over a year now, no problems so far.

Hi everyone. Just was wondering if anyone here knows if these dampers are just on 4 doors or can 2 door explorers have them too? I bought a 1998 ford explorer sport V6 4.0L automatic 4x4 and it had the muffler ripped off. I'm thinking they may have ripped this off too.

Thanks for any info.

I have the Monroe on mine too for a few years. I think it is still working... but is hard to tell on that shock. Maybe on better weather I will take it off to check it. Is the last Monroe left on my truck, after I was disappointed of the SensaTrac's (replaced them with KYB Gas-A-Just monotubes).

Funny thing is that on KYB outlet site they have "KYB SS10201 Axle Damper"... hmmm I wonder if is actually the same as Monroe one, made by somebody else. The technology is special for horizontal dampers - they have a microcell foam structure that holds the oil in the right position.

I believe they are only on V8 trucks

Bill

I know they come on all 4 doors. Just wondering if they have them on the 2 doors. I had a 1996 4 door with the v6 that had it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know they come on all 4 doors. Just wondering if they have them on the 2 doors. I had a 1996 4 door with the v6 that had it.

I think you're right. All the 4 doors have the 5th shock. I don't believe the 2 doors ever had the shock, although some 2 door rear axles I've seen seem to have the shock mount.

Back