Battery Issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Issues

I did an advansed search and found nothing on a proper way to replace a battery of a explorer 2011 and newer models :( . My battery went dead so before I disconect any cables wanted to know if someone heard of a proper way to do it. I do not want any sorprises since the owners manual doesnt desribe much of it. So much gadgets on my EX that want them to continue to work properly when I conect the new battery. Thanks in advance :usa: :salute:
Welcome to the Forum EZEX. :wavey:There should be no way that a battery in a 2011 Ex should be dead. Did you leave something on? The battery saver program should shut down most items that have been left on. I would assume that all you need is to get it boosted and the Owner's Guide goes over that procedure. If indeed it is 'dead' I would think the dealer should replace it. Not sure what the warranty period is on it but it should be covered to some extend.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter,
Bought it used from a previous owner. I charged it last night and wife called me that it had died on her she had to get a jump. I will check with the dealer, Thanks

Art

Battery is covered under 3/36,000 warranty

tnks blwnsmoke I will take it in the nearest dealer tomorrow

After driving my Lmtd EX for 30 minutes and parking I had the hatch open for 10 minutes. When I went to lock it I could not get a "chirp" to confirm that it was locked. I physically confirmed that it locked.

Five hours later I was unable to unlock the EX with the fob or key pad. The EX was dead. Nothing was left on, doors and hatch closed.

AAA jumped it and it started and ran fine, there were no dash board warnings.

The EX is at the dealer now being diagnosed. I'll reply when I find out what the solution is.

FYI (never forget the location of the Lmtd's courtesy key) It's inside the key fob!

I have a 2011 with 35k miles...Just had the third battery put in. The first 2 died. One at about 5k and the second at 35k. Bad batteries or problem in the electrical system? Who knows.

After driving my Lmtd EX for 30 minutes and parking I had the hatch open for 10 minutes. When I went to lock it I could not get a "chirp" to confirm that it was locked. I physically confirmed that it locked.
"Chirp" ??? :scratch: Mine has never done that or made any noise other than hearing the latch close.

Peter

Dealer tested the battery and charging system, then said "everything tested okay, maybe something confused the computer". I said, "I hope it doesn't happen again!

We will see!
PeterK9 fyi the "chirp" comes when I double hit the lock fob. To me it confirms the vehicle is locked audibly.

Dealer tested the battery and charging system, then said "everything tested okay, maybe something confused the computer". I said, "I hope it doesn't happen again!

We will see!
PeterK9 fyi the "chirp" comes when I double hit the lock fob. To me it confirms the vehicle is locked audibly.
Okay now I understand. That is the horn that beeps once when you lock it that way. I just confirmed that because I never use the fob to lock it up. I always press the black button on the door handle to lock and unlock.
Hope your problem doesn't come back.

Peter

Dead Battery

My 2012 Ex with 11,000 miles with absolutely no warning went into defective battery mode. Had to call roadside assistance to get started, drove 90 miles and shut it off and what a light show it became. For a dead battery the computer screens went crazy, lights flashed and I had absolutely no control. Had to let it sit overnight until the lights went out by themselves. I had it towed to a nearby dealer the next day. They checked it out and turned out to be a defective battery. Put the new one in rebooted the computer and everything worked just fine. I have to give kudos to Ramsey Ford in Elkton , Maryland for taking good care of my EX. I did not purchase it from them but they treated me as if I did.;););)

Multiple Dead Batteries

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with 38,000 miles. After multiple dead batteries, I had it towed to the dealership. They have now had it FOUR WEEKS!!! Apparently there is something "pulling" off the battery every 60 seconds, going up to 2.2 amps. Field engineers can't figure it out, they are now working with the "platform" engineers in Detroit to try and figure it out. I went to check on my car yesterday, wish I hadn't, it looked like it had been ransacked! No dashboard, no inside panels, looked like a grenade went off inside. The only good thing is that they are still covering it under the warranty and are supplying me a rental car. Anyway one else had a similar problem?

It is 100% possible this battery has never seen a full charge after sitting and awaiting delivery. When my cousin worked as a lot attendant for a Chrysler dealer, he told me many stories of dead batteries and cars simply being jump-started and handed to customers when sold. My opinion is to put the battery on a charge overnight (be sure to disconnect a terminal). If you dont have a charger or are not inclined to try, Leave it with your dealer to charge the battery. Most people think the alternator will charge the battery, however that is not the alternators job and it doesnt happen in an hour of driving. Motorcraft batteries are generally very good quality.
If it's not the alternators job to charge the battery, what does then? :scratch:

If it's not the alternators job to charge the battery, what does then? :scratch:
The Explorer uses a regenerative electrical charging system which optimally charges the battery in place of having the vehicle's alternator charging the battery when the engine is running. This system also communicates with the Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (ADFSO) system to make sure the battery is being optimally charged at all times while driving.
See my post on Smart Charging Alternator is the following thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302522&highlight=kinetic

Peter

The Explorer uses a regenerative electrical charging system which optimally charges the battery in place of having the vehicle's alternator charging the battery when the engine is running. This system also communicates with the Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (ADFSO) system to make sure the battery is being optimally charged at all times while driving.
See my post on Smart Charging Alternator is the following thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302522&highlight=kinetic

Peter
Well then it doesn't work as advertised above then, does it? :confused:

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with 38,000 miles. After multiple dead batteries, I had it towed to the dealership. They have now had it FOUR WEEKS!!! Apparently there is something "pulling" off the battery every 60 seconds, going up to 2.2 amps. Field engineers can't figure it out, they are now working with the "platform" engineers in Detroit to try and figure it out. I went to check on my car yesterday, wish I hadn't, it looked like it had been ransacked! No dashboard, no inside panels, looked like a grenade went off inside. The only good thing is that they are still covering it under the warranty and are supplying me a rental car. Anyway one else had a similar problem?

Our 11 Explorer Limited 4WD has had to be jump started about 10 times for dead battery since we got it new July 2011. 33,000 miles on it now.
Put cables on it starts immediately. Dealer can not find anything wrong.

Our 11 Explorer Limited 4WD has had to be jump started about 10 times for dead battery since we got it new July 2011. 33,000 miles on it now.
I had to trickle charge mine 5 or 6 times since last November. Each time it took progressively longer to bring the battery to full charge. I mentioned this to the service advisor when I took it in at the end of March to have the Winter wheels swapped out. They fully charged the battery and then ran test on it which it failed. They replaced the battery under warranty.
Although the vehicle never failed to start, my cue that the battery required charging came from the MFT. Normally the radio would stay on until the door was opened after turning the ignition off. When the radio turned off immediately and the message "Battery Saver Program = OFF came up, I knew the battery required charging again.
There definitely seems to be a problem with some of the systems or the battery itself. Only 8200 miles on the odometer

Peter

Well then it doesn't work as advertised above then, does it? :confused:
I guess you can say that about many of the items that have broken down on the Explorer. As with any system, problems can and do arise. This type of failure appears to only be a very, very small percentage when compared to other ones.

Peter

I did a long interior clean yesterday and my guess would be, that it took about 30min mabye a but more, for the batt saver to warn me. I find there is a bit of a delay once the key is turned. I am assuming this is the saver directing power to where it needs to go.

There is a ton of electonics going at any given time. Who knows what is running in the background.

I guess you can say that about many of the items that have broken down on the Explorer. As with any system, problems can and do arise. This type of failure appears to only be a very, very small percentage when compared to other ones.

Peter

Peter,
you seem to infer that there are many other failures....

is there a list of potential issues I should look out for on the wife's new explorer?

thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with 38,000 miles. After multiple dead batteries, I had it towed to the dealership. They have now had it FOUR WEEKS!!!...

Hi GunSlinger13 and jimmy7044,

I want to get your information into the hands of your regional customer service managers. They'll work with your dealership to ensure this is resolved. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Back