The BIGGEST ford HO alt EVER put on a 2nd Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The BIGGEST ford HO alt EVER put on a 2nd Gen Explorer

taylorpro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Whats up guys! My name is Taylor, and I drive a 99 Explorer 4 door with the 4.0 SOHC engine. If you've ever looked for a HO alt for this engine you know its a nightmare. The case is very narrow in depth and you're limited to ~200-250a depending on manufacturer. WELL, I decided, since the engine has the balls to turn a big alt, I'm going to make one fit. And this is what I came up with!

That is a 340A alternator made by Mike Singer at singeralternators.com. This unit is built within the same case used on the ford ambulances. It is a 3g/6g style mount. To adapt the 4g bolt pattern to the 6g mount, I had a nice aluminum bracket made so all mounting holes will be utilized.

Along with the bracket, some mild Hose modifications are needed to fit the alternator of this size as well. You must relocate the upper heater core hose, reposition the upper radiator hose as well as make a new vacuum line for the IAC motor. But other than that, it's a simple job! If you're at all interested in doing this to your 2nd gen EX, or maybe even another vehicle with the 4.0 SOHC engine, feel free to hit me up and I can get you the parts and instructions to get this beast fitted like I did. Thanks for looking!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kudos for thinking outside the box. You can also use a 06+ 4.0 sohc ranger accessory bracket if you don't want to make an adapter.

really wish he would reply to my message so I can try and get this done to my explorer sport trac

I just hit ya back bud. Sorry for the delay!

How has it held up so far? Any loss in engine power you can tell, no issues with charging system, idle issues, anything?

How has it held up so far? Any loss in engine power you can tell, no issues with charging system, idle issues, anything?

held up great. I dont actually have the truck anymore, but i had 7k miles on the setup. Engine power didnt seem to be affected. But then again, an alt doesnt add a huge load to the engine unless you're demanding alot of it. Charging system was completely fine. no idle issues (alt related, anyway). I had an IAC issue, idle was too high on startup

Back