How do you get the starter out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you get the starter out?

tundrawolf

Reaction score
I have a standard four door non sport trac 4x4 v8 automatic that needs a new starter motor. I got the bottom two bolts out, but there's a bolt all the way on the other side of the starter that is completely inaccessible. How do I get it out?

IMAG0587.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

The problem is that there is what appears to be a motor mount in the way. I think a stubby wrench MIGHT get it but I don't have one, or a wrench bent at an extreme angle on the handle in two different places.

Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't say which engine it is but if it is a 4.0 sohc then there are two bolts one on the bottom and one on top about 180 degrees from the bottom one. On the 4x4 you may have to either drop the front diff a little or unbolt the motor mount on that side and raise the engine to get enough clearance to remove it. The top bolt can be approached from the wheel well after you remove the wheel.

Are you serious? I really have to remove a motor mount to get the starter out? I just lost a lot of respect for Ford.

You may have enough room to maneuver it out without lifting the engine / lowering the diff but before you start moving it around make sure your battery is disconnected or fireworks will ensue. It's not just Ford that make things difficult although I'm told that changing the plus on the new Tritons is a real joyride.

I have a standard four door non sport trac 4x4 v8 automatic that needs a new starter motor. I got the bottom two bolts out, but there's a bolt all the way on the other side of the starter that is completely inaccessible. How do I get it out?

The problem is that there is what appears to be a motor mount in the way. I think a stubby wrench MIGHT get it but I don't have one, or a wrench bent at an extreme angle on the handle in two different places.

Please help!

You didn't say which engine it is but if it is a 4.0 sohc then there are two bolts one on the bottom and one on top about 180 degrees from the bottom one. On the 4x4 you may have to either drop the front diff a little or unbolt the motor mount on that side and raise the engine to get enough clearance to remove it. The top bolt can be approached from the wheel well after you remove the wheel.

Okay first of all, he DID say which engine he had right in the beginning of the first post. He has a V8, not the 4.0.

Second, you don't have to unbolt the motor mount OR drop your front differential to get it out. Sure, it's a PITA.. It's more tedious than anything.

Go to advance auto/napa/whatever and tell them what you're doing. They can pull out a new starter to show you exactly how the bolt goes and they sell the goofy angled wrench you need. Then just get under there and screw with it a bit and you'll get it....

Brian is correct. Loosening a motor mount bolt or whatever else is unnecessary.

This bolt is commonly referred to as the B*TCH BOLT. Some folks leave the bolt out when they put everything back together. I always put it back in myself. I use one of these to help me:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-ratchet-with-indexable-head-96092.html

Other wise, you just use an open end on a combination wrench and get spin it about an 1/8 of a turn at a time.

Brian is correct. Loosening a motor mount bolt or whatever else is unnecessary.

This bolt is commonly referred to as the B*TCH BOLT. Some folks leave the bolt out when they put everything back together. I always put it back in myself. I use one of these to help me:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-ratchet-with-indexable-head-96092.html

Other wise, you just use an open end on a combination wrench and get spin it about an 1/8 of a turn at a time.

That wrench would do the trick.

You can also get to it through the wheel well (tire off), with long extensions and if I recall correctly, a U-joint. Reach in from in front of the strut tower.

You can also get to it through the wheel well (tire off), with long extensions and if I recall correctly, a U-joint. Reach in from in front of the strut tower.

I just replaced the starter on my 04 V8 4x4. I used 2 of these wobble extensions and a few straight extensions for both the top bolt and the middle bolt. Access from the wheel well (literally turning the ratchet in the wheel well) in front of the strut tower. Never removed the wheel. Very simple way to do it. Hardest part is finding the bolts with the socket. Once your on them there is plenty of room to wrench.
extension-bar-3-8in-wobble-drive-range_zps1cfbebda.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I need some help. I have a 2004 UZ Limited with the 4.6 v8. Need a new starter motor and cannot find a part number as I do not have a manual. When I go on ebay I find some that say 15mm O/M and some that say 25mm O/M. Everything else looks the same. Do you know which one I need?

Craig
Queensland Australia.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I need some help. I have a 2004 UZ Limited with the 4.6 v8. Need a new starter motor and cannot find a part number as I do not have a manual. When I go on ebay I find some that say 15mm O/M and some that say 25mm O/M. Everything else looks the same. Do you know which one I need?

Craig
Queensland Australia.

Does your Explorer have a "Vehicle Identification Number" or "VIN Number"? I see you are in Australia. If you do have a VIN number, go to www.fordpartsgiant.com and you can look up the exact starter motor you need by entering VIN number to your vehicle at their web site. The VIN number ensures you get the exact part for your Explorer.

Does your Explorer have a "Vehicle Identification Number" or "VIN Number"? I see you are in Australia. If you do have a VIN number, go to www.fordpartsgiant.com and you can look up the exact starter motor you need by entering VIN number to your vehicle at their web site. The VIN number ensures you get the exact part for your Explorer.

Thanks for the info. the Vin is 1FMDU75W44ZB22546 and comes up on that site. But I cannot find starter motor in the categories. Can you please have a look and let me know if I am missing something.

Great site by the way.

Thanks for the info. the Vin is 1FMDU75W44ZB22546 and comes up on that site. But I cannot find starter motor in the categories. Can you please have a look and let me know if I am missing something.

Great site by the way.

I just went to Ford parts giant looked for you under your VIN number and I couldn't find a starter item listed there under your VIN, kind of strange. I did find a starter for your year Explorer there, just by using your year and make of vehicle. Here is the link for that page:

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2004-ford-explorer/starter-motor.html

The starter I found has the same part number that "Swshawaii" gave you in his link, but the one I found, says "US Markets" under the "Fit Note". Don't know if that has any effect on your vehicle's application.
BTW, I bought new/remanufactured OE starter with a lifetime warranty at www.advanceautoparts.com last year and I looked mine up at their web site by just using my year, engine size and make Explorer for info. I ordered it online using a $50 off coupon I got for Advance Auto Parts from www.couponcabin.com and it cost me around $100 after the coupon discount. Much cheaper than Ford's and so far, mine has worked great with no issues at all. Don't know how the shipping charges would affect you being in Australia going that route.

I looked up your Starter motor at Advance Auto Parts, here is the link for it. You can phone or email them for more details if need be. Don't forget those prices listed are retail, not the coupon discounted price, so take $50 off of those starter prices using the online coupon.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...rs&vehicleIdSearch=254091&searchedFrom=header

Back