2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand how Ford can crunch the numbers and determine that it will cost less to settle a few fatality and permanent injury lawsuits than to recall the vehicles. It may be immoral, but their motives are clear. What I can't understand is why NHTSA hasn't put its foot on Ford's neck and made them act. It seems to me that the purpose of such an agency is to ensure that automobile companies don't make such calculations. Isn't that why we pay taxes? What's the point of a huge government bureaucracy that doesn't protect the public? As I've said, anyone can look at the NHTSA data online and see that there's a serious problem. My prediction is that, if there's enough negative feedback, the natural bureaucratic reaction will be to cut off public access to the data.

Ford will not care as long as people are still buying the Explorer. The only way to get Ford's attention is to have a campaign to boycott Ford on their negligence on safety. If they care numbers, let's try to reduce it.

It is my understanding that NHTSA are expecting a response from Ford by Aug 29th. According to NHTSA they have been receiving cases on an almost daily basis. Looking forward to what the response is.

Had the failure happen today (8/29/12)
Made a report to the NHTSA after reading this entire thread. Has anyone heard if Ford responded to the NHTSA? I truly hope this can be resolved.

Chris

Made a report to the NHTSA after reading this entire thread. Has anyone heard if Ford responded to the NHTSA? I truly hope this can be resolved.

Chris

I read somewhere that Ford was supposed to respond to the NHTSA investigators regarding this matter TODAY (8/29/12). I haven't seen anything public about this yet. I did talk with my service rep at the local ford dealership today and he knew NOTHING of the NHTSA investigation. He told me that they would continue to check to see if the "rack" arrives daily...although I'm still betting on November or later. Cory from Ford Customer Service did send me a message on here today stating that a member from their Customer Care team would contact me by phone by the end of the day tomorrow. I will post an update once I hear from them.

Chris, did you take your explorer to the local dealership?

-m

Chris
Welcome to the Forum kd4pwh. :wavey:
It's unfortunate that your first post had to be about this issue. I also have a 2011 but so far so good. I likewise hope that this problem will be rectified ASAP. Thanks for submitting your report Chris.:thumbsup:

Peter

Chris, did you take your explorer to the local dealership?
-m

Not yet as it happened this evening when my wife was driving it and by the time she got home, they were already closed. We're calling them tomorrow though.

Welcome to the Forum kd4pwh. :wavey:
It's unfortunate that your first post had to be about this issue. I also have a 2011 but so far so good. I likewise hope that this problem will be rectified ASAP. Thanks for submitting your report Chris.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter! I've been lurking on here for a while...pretty darn good forum! Very informative and it's cool that Ford reps hang here too!

Chris

Not yet as it happened this evening when my wife was driving it and by the time she got home, they were already closed. We're calling them tomorrow though.

I would do it first thing. Also, and others on the site may know more about this, but I had a Ford service guy tell me that they cannot retrieve a code if the car has been driven 40 miles after the warning light has turned off. So if that is true, I would limit miles so that they can tell what is going on.

And if you don't have power steering, BE CAREFUL!!!

-m

When old hydraulic PS systems failed, it took about 3-10 units of force to work the steering without power assist. In these Explorers it's taking 60, yes, 60 units of force to overcome the resistance of the failed EPAS. Those of you that experienced the failure know what you were up against.

Nextreme: This from a previous post of mine dated 7-19-2012, straight from the conversation I had with the lead NHTSA engineer working this problem. Tell this to your dealer's service manager. Maybe then he'll believe you about how hard it is drive these things when the EPAS fails!

I would do it first thing. Also, and others on the site may know more about this, but I had a Ford service guy tell me that they cannot retrieve a code if the car has been driven 40 miles after the warning light has turned off. So if that is true, I would limit miles so that they can tell what is going on.

And if you don't have power steering, BE CAREFUL!!!

-m

Good to know about the 40 mile thing. I'm going to get it in asap.

Chris

I’m here to help, guys. For anyone experiencing concerns with their vehicle, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state. This way, I can get it escalated up to your regional Customer Service Manager and help to get the concern resolved.

For those living north of the border, I recommend calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre @ 1-800-565-3673 so they can assist you.

...pretty darn good forum! Very informative and it's cool that Ford reps hang here too!

Chris
I’m with you, Chris; this community is a huge resource for Explorer owners. I appreciate the shout-out.

Cory

Called my local dealer and was planning on taking the explorer there this evening, but they couldn't tell me for sure if a loaner car would be furnished. And they also stated that they haven't heard of this issue either.

Cory I PM'd you earlier this morning with the details. Is there anything you can do?

Thanks for the help
Chris

Thank you Cory!

Chris

Just wanted to share my story--I have experienced the very same power steering failure reported here. My car has been sitting with the dealership since mid July and I received a call yesterday that I can go pick it up today. I believe they have replaced the powersteering rack. The dealer has been very good about putting me in a loaner vehicle for the month that they were waiting for the part. I am very concerned about the potential for reoccurance and I will be reporting my experience to Transport Canada. Was very glad to find this forum.

Just wanted to share my story--I have experienced the very same power steering failure reported here. My car has been sitting with the dealership since mid July and I received a call yesterday that I can go pick it up today. I believe they have replaced the powersteering rack. The dealer has been very good about putting me in a loaner vehicle for the month that they were waiting for the part. I am very concerned about the potential for reoccurance and I will be reporting my experience to Transport Canada. Was very glad to find this forum.

Glad to hear that at least something was done for you. Do you mind me asking what city and dealer you brought it to? Where there error codes that they could find?

Thank you Cory!...
You got it, Chris; I’m happy to lend a hand. :):thumbsup:

...The dealer has been very good about putting me in a loaner vehicle for the month that they were waiting for the part...
It’s great to see the dealer took care of you, vhexplorer; thanks for the update.

Cory

Welcome to the Forum vhexplorer. :wavey:
Nice to see another Ontario owner on here. It is truly unfortunate that so many new members have had to introduce themselves with this particular issue. I'm happy to hear that it has been resolved, at least for now.
I don't know if the Canadian and American agencies share info but it may not be a bad idea to also report this to the NHTSA as well using the link provided in this long thread.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Media awareness

I spent nearly an hour on the phone today with a veteran TV Investigative Reporter that has been looking into this Explorer EPAS problem. It was obvious that he had read most, if not all of the posts in this entire thread, so keep those posts coming. He had also done quite a bit of other "homework". :thumbsup:

Whatever it takes, let's get this problem resolved before somebody gets hurt or killed.

Back