2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I took the Ex to the dealer last night.
They called today and said that there were two error codes stored from when the failure happened. An incorrect steering angle code, and a power steering gearbox failure code.
They said that a new rack and pinion is the fix, but it will take 2 - 3 days to get one in. I'm not holding my breath because based on everything I've read here, it'll take about a month.
Also Kimberly from Ford called me to introduce herself as a Customer Service Rep and said she was going to contact the dealer and keep in touch with me to try to get the vehicle back to us asap!

Big thanks again to Cory, Eddie, Kimberly and the rest of the gang at Ford!!

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All...Update here from Florida. Jean (cust service from Ford) has called the last 2 days. She has been VERY nice and has been communicating with the local dealership here. The word today is that the part (rack) is shipping and should be here late next week. I did ask her about the NHTSA investigation. She did not know anything about this (and neither did the local dealership) but told me that she would look into this. As of today, she said that she was still looking into this and would hopefully have more information on Ford's response next week when she calls. She has been very pleasant and has done an EXCELLENT job communicating when she says she will.

I am still very interested in the investigation and am concerned about replacing the "rack" with another that will possibly fail.

Thanks Cory for running this one up the chain.

-matt (from Florida)
with a Focus :)

Do you mind me asking what city and dealer you brought it to? Where there error codes that they could find?

My dealership is Woodstock Ford. I had the power steering fail two times over about a two week period. Both times I was able to regain power steering by shutting the vehicle off and restarting it. The second time that it happened I drove it straight to the dealership.

On my service record it says "Code tested C1B00 86-28 ABS B10AF 12-08 HVAC C200D 49 -08 PSC" and also "Checked steering message performed PP test. Contacted hotline pinpointed to steering gear."

Hope this is helpful.

This might be a silly question but I will ask anyway. Are folks experiencing this fault when driving in wet conditions... either wet roads or raining?

Just wondering if the fault is tied into the traction control or some electronic component is shorting out.

Tim

I have 'joined' the club. My 2011 Explorer has 40K miles and is out of warranty. I bought it used last December with 32K miles. On August 29, the Power Assist Warning came on & I lost the power steering. I was able to restart and get the power steering back and immediately took the vehicle to my dealership.

I am told it will take about $2,600+ to fix the problem, as I need a new 'rack' as well(?) especially because it is an 'electrical' component with front wheel drive.
All parts are backordered and I probably won't get the vehicle back for a week.

The dealer is springing for a 'free' loaner from Enterprise.

I will be writing to FMC and to the NHTSA, because of this premature failure of a major component; which could have led to a dangerous situation.

I will keep the 'thread' up to date as this situation evolves and if I hear from the NHTSA and/or Ford Motor Company.

This might be a silly question but I will ask anyway. Are folks experiencing this fault when driving in wet conditions... either wet roads or raining?

Just wondering if the fault is tied into the traction control or some electronic component is shorting out.

No, it was dry out when my mom was driving.

My dealership is Woodstock Ford. I had the power steering fail two times over about a two week period. Both times I was able to regain power steering by shutting the vehicle off and restarting it. The second time that it happened I drove it straight to the dealership.

On my service record it says "Code tested C1B00 86-28 ABS B10AF 12-08 HVAC C200D 49 -08 PSC" and also "Checked steering message performed PP test. Contacted hotline pinpointed to steering gear."

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks very much :chug:. I will forward this information to my dealer.

Dry, sunny and prolly 87º - 90ºF when happened to us.

Chris

ok thanks guys just thought I would ask.

Has anyone heard about Ford's response to the NHTSA?

Cory, have you heard anything?

-matt

...Big thanks again to Cory, Eddie, Kimberly and the rest of the gang at Ford!!...
...Thanks Cory for running this one up the chain...
Chris & Matt,

You’re very welcome, guys; I appreciate the kind words.

...The second time that it happened I drove it straight to the dealership...
vhexplorer,

I’m checking in with you to make sure the concern has already been resolved.

...Cory, have you heard anything?...
We are continuing to cooperate fully with NHTSA, Matt.

A big “thanks” goes out to everyone helping and taking the time to PM me.

Cory

I have PM'd Corey.

My Service Advance Trac warning light came on Sunday afternoon. Steering went out, pulled over, turned off, back on and fine. Dealer today says it will be the end of October for a new steering rack.

Ok, I just got a call from the service manager at my dealer where I had the car towed last Thursday. He proudly announced that he'd found a "rack" at another dealer, and that I was pretty lucky because these parts are generally back-ordered well into November (as has been reported here by others). After duly congratulating him for his procurement skills, I questioned the assumption that this was a mechanical problem, given that it had all the earmarks of another major software issue. "Oh no," he said, "the rack isn't mechanical -- it's the electronic steering control." Huh? Maybe, I'm old school, but since when is a rack not mechanical? Am I missing something, or is this a surprise to anyone else here? This whole thing just gets weirder.

vhexplorer,

I’m checking in with you to make sure the concern has already been resolved.

Cory - Thanks for checking in. The dealership replaced the power steering rack last week and I've had no issues since. So far, so good.

I have PM'd Corey...
72lemanscvbl,

After the Labor Day weekend, my inbox has been a little busy; I’ll reply in the next day or so.

Ok, I just got a call from the service manager at my dealer where I had the car towed last Thursday. He proudly announced that he'd found a "rack" at another dealer...
Thanks for the update, fargo1; I’m confident the dealer will take care of you.

Cory - Thanks for checking in. The dealership replaced the power steering rack last week and I've had no issues since. So far, so good.
You’re welcome, vhexplorer; I’m glad you’ve had “smooth sailing.”

Cory

Given the variations of these so-called steering failures, and other electrical issues, I would be seriously looking at the computing power (or lack thereof) in these Explorers. We all have experienced in a PC the Windows "blue screen of death" or programs that say "(not responding)". Perhaps the problems we see with the Explorer are simply the result of an overloaded computer component. If turning off and restarting the vehicle fixes an issue, it has to be computer related. Early on, I had on three occasions where while driving, it was if someone had physically removed the battery. Zero electrical in any form in the car, only to have it all return as if by magic in ten minutes, and the vehicle function fully as normal. The fact is the car has not one computer, but multiple separate processors, linked through a mini network. What if the complexity of inputs just is over powering the ability of the system to function? And are these steering rack replacements simply a placebo, luring us to believe the problem is fixed? The same lack of computing power could be a factor in explaining the MFT failures experiences in vehicles so equipped.

We are too accustomed to think of a car as a mechanical device. It is not just that anymore. Cars have become rolling computers. Just remember how many times you have had a computer mess up. Mechanical components are far too reliable nowadays. Computers have a finite processing capability. it may just be Ford under-designed the processors for this model.

Ok, I just got a call from the service manager at my dealer where I had the car towed last Thursday. He proudly announced that he'd found a "rack" at another dealer, and that I was pretty lucky because these parts are generally back-ordered well into November (as has been reported here by others). After duly congratulating him for his procurement skills, I questioned the assumption that this was a mechanical problem, given that it had all the earmarks of another major software issue. "Oh no," he said, "the rack isn't mechanical -- it's the electronic steering control." Huh? Maybe, I'm old school, but since when is a rack not mechanical? Am I missing something, or is this a surprise to anyone else here? This whole thing just gets weirder.

I have maintained all along that I believe that the problem is electrical, not mecahnical. I have posted this before, Ford's EPAS (Electric Assist Power Steering) is considered as being part of the 'rack'. Although they are replacing many of these now, I still don't think the actual problem has been identified and this is only a 'band-aid' solution since there has already been a failure of a replaced 'rack'.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/EPAS.pdf

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed... if Ford had a definitive explanation for the failures (of which 100 are now reported on the NHTSA website), presumably they would issue some sort of bulletin to owners. After my last experience, I'll be pretty reluctant to put my family in the car without a detailed explanation of the cause of the problem, how the new "rack" resolves the problem, and what design changes have been implemented in order to assure that it doesn't recur. This takes my chronic MFT issues to a whole new level.

Back