92 explorer full width 8.8 and d44TTB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 explorer full width 8.8 and d44TTB

in the process of building a 92 explorer with a 4inch lift(i think it is) but running the D44 4wd TTb out of the fullsize broncos as well as the rear. Its comes to bout 8inches wider, 4in on each side. anyone interested?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol ok cool.....now lemme go and find the pics on the other computer and get everything ready to go. i havent been on this site in like 2-3 years since i didnt have a explorer or bII anymore, but i am in the process of building another X. havent found one write up on doing the d44 4wd ttb swap without having to cut the beams and i love the ttb suspension just not the ball joints or hubs of the 35 so i decided to dive head first into something i had to piece and figure out as i went

i have been looking into this a bit as well, i have a 1990 Ranger ext cab, i am in the process of lifting and was considering this for it,,
f 150 8.8
and an F150 d44 ttb,,

ya i was the same picked up a 89 fullsize bronco for 50 bucks for the axles, but i had to dispose of the body. works great if you have a donor vehicle to get the parts from.

coil buckets with shock mounts donor
front driveshaft donor
rear driveshaft donor
44ttb 4wd full width donor
8.8 rear full width donor
lifted drop brackets that are for the explorer or ranger
front sway bar from donor and rig ur building
2 feet-ish of 1/4 wall steel 4x4 tube
the tie rod setup from donor and explorer

is just to start

im about 4 months into this project working on it on my spare time and the axles are underneath it and driving down the road but ran out of money for shocks so ill do the back story all the way to current

ya ive seen that before it gave me the idea but those are all kits or u cut and weld the beams back together which defeats full width.

I kept the full width and put adapters on the rear to help the stock rear end be wider. Its wide though.

ok sorry for the weeklong wait but i had to revive an old iphone to get the majority of pictures off it involving the build. Hope ya guys have facebook (who doesnt) cuz im posting all the pictures there in bulk, but ill throw a couple here and there in here for write up sake. let ya know when its done loading all 300 mb...

adding another 50 or so photos to the album....ill get to doing the write up soon hopefully but if ya got any questions dont be afraid to ask

do the front suspension drop brakets to the dana 35 ttb fit the dana 44 ttb?

I just looked at all the pictures you have on FB. You have alot goen on at the house. I like the easy way of getting the suspension components off. In a couple pics it looks as if you were extending the front end.. if that is what it is im asking what was the idea behind it?

yes the drop brackets for the 35 fit the 44. you have to widen the front end 4 inches where the coils buckets go to properly align the 44 coil mounts on axle with correct position on frame. ive got about another 75 pics to add when this weekend. put the tre on top of knuckle (drill,reamed and sleeved) and swapped out the stiff coils for wild horses 4x4 4.5 inch coil springs from the EB. which involved making coil buckets for the axle and notching the axle as well. replaced the regular polyurathane bushings on the radius arms with ballistic johnny joints. got one side done and have 19-20 inches of drop with 31's

that really sounds awesome. ill have to look at the pics when you get them posted. Ill be following your foot steps shortly. right now as Big Red stands(explorer name) she has skyjacker front end with a SOA in the rear. looking at it she seemed a little top heavy. I found your build thread,thought it would be the solution to the short wheel base then I had to ask... I do have another question, How are you going to set up your radius arms with that front end? keep them pictures coming.

ha i was just in kalmath falls not too long ago. family vacation. the ttb brackets work perfectly fine, the coil springs that are made for rbv bolt right in to the 44ttb and since you have to bring your coil towers 4 inches out you also have to bring your radius arms out as well... i brought mine out and down from the frame a bit. sway bars have to be extendend in the front and new mounts made as well. its a bit of work, but i wanted the stability and look of full width but also am a die hard ttb fan. ttb does everything well just not super well, but i like dunes, forest roads, rocks and mud so thats why im doing it.

Thats cool. Klamath Falls is an alright town. Ive lived here and Chiloquin for most of my life. there are alot of different trails close by. If mud was a drug, Mud would be my drug of choice :D. thanks for all the info on the ttb. you have been alot of help. let me know when you post those pics. I would like to look at them.:salute:

here is another idea for the upper shock mounts i stumbled upon this idea surfen through blue torch fab. instead of using 4" square tubing to move the coil buckets out, just get rid of the coil buckets all together and use the shock tower kit from blue torch fab then use coil overs. or make the shock towers yourself and go for long travel front end suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When mine was built, we compared cost of coilovers vs springs and good shocks. It was actually a wash if you consider fab time. my $.02

Back