2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The question now , are they going to specify what is the manufacturing date range that is maybe affected by this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So if my wife, while driving her explorer losses power steering assist and crashes, my response to her will be: "hey honey, sorry you don't have sufficient upper body strength to maneuver a mechanical steering system, but you did get an audible/visual chime alerting you of this condition"

Not to mention the fact that Ford states that you should have been forewarned because its printed in the owners manual, its our own faults, not Fords...... right?

"STEERING
Your vehicle is equipped with an electric power-assisted steering (EPAS)
system. There is no fluid reservoir to check or fill.
If your vehicle loses electrical power while you are driving (or if the
ignition is turned off), you can steer the vehicle manually, but it takes
more effort. Extreme continuous steering may increase the effort it takes
for you to steer.
This occurs to prevent overheating and permanent
damage to your steering system. If this should occur, you will neither
lose the ability to steer the vehicle manually nor will it cause permanent
damage. Typical steering and driving maneuvers will allow the system to
cool and steering assist will return to normal.
The EPS system has diagnostic checks that continuously monitor the
EPS system to ensure proper operation. When a system error is
detected, the following message SERVICE POWER STEERING, SERVICE
POWER STEERING NOW or POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT may
display in the message center. Refer to the Message center in the
Instrument Cluster chapter for more information.

WARNING: The EPS system has diagnostics checks that
continuously monitor the EPS system to ensure proper operation
of the electronic system. When an electronic error is detected, the
message POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT will be displayed in the
message center. If this happens, stop the vehicle in a safe place, and
turn off the engine. After at least 10 seconds, reset the system by
restarting the engine, and watch the message center for POWER
STEERING ASSIST FAULT. If the message returns, or returns while
driving, take the vehicle to your dealer to have it checked. With the
message displayed, the steering assist is turned off, making the vehicle
harder to steer.
"

I like this part that is also in the manual....:

"WARNING: Fail-safe mode is for use during emergencies only.
Operate the vehicle in fail-safe mode only as long as necessary to
bring the vehicle to rest in a safe location and seek immediate repairs.
When in fail-safe mode, the vehicle will have limited power, will not be
able to maintain high-speed operation, and may completely shut down
without warning, potentially losing engine power, power steering assist,
and power brake assist, which may increase the possibility of a crash
resulting in serious injury.
"

While I understand that a failure of the EPS system like many of us have experienced is not a complete "fail safe mode" type occurance, but still, the lack of power to the EPS is just the same.....and as Ford states in the manual it may increase the possibility of a crash resulting in serious injury......Yet in their NTHSA response, they are basically saying its not an issue......

From what I was told by Transport Canada, steering is one of the major components that MUST be working flawlessly or it is considered a hazard. If ford has identified that racks made between date A and date B may fail they MUST recall vehicles with these racks.

Ford made my damn death trap. Ford should be helping me - just the way it helps my fellow customers south of the border.
At least you're in a larger vehicle and have a little more safety. Remember the Pinto??:thumbdwn:

I don't think this matter is finished.

Peter

At least you're in a larger vehicle and have a little more safety. Remember the Pinto??:thumbdwn:

I don't think this matter is finished.

Peter

That just means that in the Pinto, its a lot quicker, faster death, less suffering. The larger vehicle just makes you suffer a bit longer....:eek:

My dealer called yesterday and said the part should be in this morning! (I knew better)

Dealer called today at 3 pm and said they are trying to figure out where the part is. (imagine that)

I called another dealer and spoke with parts dept. and was told that Ford doesn't have a single one in stock (part no STE-65). And that there is a note saying they are having supplier issues (supplier is past due on fulfillment) and the part is on back order until 11-19-2012.

I've also been told by my dealer that Ford has quit giving rentals and that they are out of loaners.

This is BS.....

"...If the message returns, or returns during driving, take you vehicle to the dealer to have it checked. With the message displayed, the steering assist is turned off, making the vehicle harder to steer...."

Why would they design the system like this?
the moment it detects any "glitch" it shutdowns the EPAS!!!

That crazy! Yes, give me an audible/visual message to service EPAS if needed, even if it's not needed, but don't frigging turn OFF the EPAS!!!!!

Sounds like nothing more than a computer crashing and needing to reboot but shutting down and restarting the vehicle

The letter from Ford cites a previous case (PE07-023) of similar loss of EPAS, where NHTSA chose to take no action. Turns out that case involves the 2006 Pontiac G6. They're comparing the loss of power steering in an Explorer to a Pontiac G6? I'd like to see a comparison of the control forces required for those two vehicles when the power steering goes. I'm guessing that Ford's economic calculations in fighting a recall are based on a static assumption of 2.5 failures per 1000 vehicles -- when, in fact, it's a dynamic age-related failure that will rise (it's already happening) over time. When it comes to data, garbage in, garbage out.

Ford's economic calculations in fighting a recall are based on a static assumption of 2.5 failures per 1000 vehicles

If thats the case, then whats the failure rate per 1000 vehicles on the new 2013 Escape that has had 3 recalls already? 1000?

Ok Ford Fans... Here is the update from Florida.

1) I received a call from Jean (Ford Cust Service) as promised. She stated that the rack arrived at the dealer today and that the car should be ready tomorrow. She also stated that she was unable to find out anything about the NHTSA investigation. She then asked me if I had found anything out about it. I informed her that yes, in fact I had...that it was all over the Internet. She seemed somewhat surprised.

2) my local ford dealership called and confirmed that the car will be ready tomorrow.

3) I expressed my concern to Jean that this is a MAJOR safety concern. I think those of us that experienced the failure would agree that it was a very scary experience and if in a congested traffic situation, would have resulted in an accident. The fact that Ford states that the car can be steered in a power assist failure is true...but it's just semantics!!! OF COURSE it can be steered! It depends on wind direction, tire inflation, and how the vehicle is loaded. Yes, the steering wheel doesn't lock up, but it DOES take 60 times the amount of force to change the direction of the All New Redesigned 2011 Ford Explorer with that round thingy that the driver holds on to. Semantics....

4) I was contacted by a reporter from one of the major networks that was willing to drive 2hrs to do a camera interview with me. I wanted to see how Ford responded to the NHTSA first. I guess as a Ford guy (been driving them since I was 15), I was hopeful that they wouldn't blow it off like they have. Now, I am more inclined to do the interview in the effort to warn others.

5) I too, would really like to know the date range of the defective parts.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out! Thanks for posting on here and giving me the feeling that I am in this alone.

-m

Thats great news Matt! Congrats! :cool:

Hey everyone,

We continue to fully cooperate with NHTSA in its investigation, which is ongoing at this time. No one knows how long the investigation will take. I am still here to help you guys. If anyone is experiencing any concerns with their vehicle, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, private message me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer info. This way, I can get it escalated and get this situation worked out. Please, continue to stay strong and thank you for your support!

For those living in Canada, I recommend calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre @ 1-800-565-3673 so they can assist you.

Thanks...Cory really started the ball rolling. Make sure you send him a PM...
I appreciate your recommendation, Matt. :thumbsup:

Cory

My experience has been similar to mattgator's. My service manager, who seems to understand why I'd be so unhappy with the steering issue, has been making a sincere effort to resolve the problem. He called me yesterday with little tidbits of information that he was able to glean from various sources at Ford. I interrupted him, and asked whether he'd seen the 20-page memo from Ford to NHTSA. He was shocked that this was the first he'd heard of it, and did a fair bit of venting. Cory, can you explain why Ford wouldn't send the same information to its dealers who are genuinely trying to help their customers? It would've saved my service manager a significant amount of time and, frankly, embarrassment.

can you explain why Ford wouldn't send the same information to its dealers who are genuinely trying to help their customers?

...it's called "containment"....

So, by Ford's admission there is a specific issue in one electrical connection manufactered in a far off place that supplies components to another supplier in another far off place (outsourcing brilliance). It was stated that wrongly tilted conveyor led to a situation that may lead to corrosion. Over time we all know corrosion problems go away don't they.?.. NOT... over time corrosion potential increases, so we can expect the number of failures to increase. So don't be lulled by the 2.5/1000 . It was a manufacturing defect with potential for life threatening results in a critical component. As the vehicles age, this risk just gets worse and there is not even a warranty of substance after three years or 36,000 miles. The run and hide from the issue just devalued our vehicles big time.

...it's called "containment"....

Hey 182RG... can you imagine Cessna behaving this way? The FAA would slap so many ADs on them, they'd be lucky to build balsa gliders. NHTSA needs to introduce "groundworthiness directives."

Well, I picked up my car on Saturday. Drives pretty normal. Not really expecting a problem for awhile. We shall see. Thanks to Cory and Jean.

I still would have liked to see Ford handle the situation differently. I guess the next step is to see what the NHTSA has to say.

-m

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the Boston area and my dealer found a replacement rack at another dealer almost immediately. He was pretty proud of this feat -- he was aware that it would take months to get one from Ford. He also checked and assured me that the replacement was manufactured well after February 2012 -- the month that Ford claims in the NHTSA letter that they shifted to a different manufacturing technique. Since my family's life may depend on it, I'll be taking a close look myself.

Back