02 ford explorer issues idle and drivability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 ford explorer issues idle and drivability

02exploderx

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer limited
Hey everyone new to the site and im trying to figure out my truck. I have an 02 explorer limited with the 4.0 sohc motor. A few weeks ago i started having an issue with it not starting. I drove the truck a couple hours away and parked and left it running all of a sudden it was idling funny and was sputtering. So i shut it off thinking it would help, but it didnt help at all. I couldnt get it started after that it would start but it would be at 200 rpm and sputtering and when i would hit the gas it would die. So i let it sit and looked around under the hood awhile and unplugged the maf sensor tried to start and got nothing. Let it sit awhile longer and it finally started up but i had to feather the gas ever so lightly to get the rpms up. Since then it takes awhile to start the truck about the third turn and it will start and once you get going it runs fine unless you need to get on the gas then it sputters and doesnt go but if you feather the gas and lightly push it will pick up speed. Anyways i went to oreilly as i had a p1151,P1131,P0171,P0174 and one other i cant remember off hand. So i bought tps sensor, pcv valve, maf sensor, all O2 sensors, intake gasket, new air filter, installed everything and still cant hit the gas hard and get acceleration im at my wits end with this thing and dont know what to do. I checked for vacuum leaks and the fuel pump was replaced 6 months ago. Any suggestions would be great as no one can really tell me what to do next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so now i got the intake done over the weekend and its no better now. Now i have a p0122 code and it shifts really bad and still doesnt have power and still doeant start up like it should. Any ideas guys?

how many miles on engine, sounds like timing chain might of slipped a tooth.

Ok so now i got the intake done over the weekend and its no better now. Now i have a p0122 code and it shifts really bad and still doesnt have power and still doeant start up like it should. Any ideas guys?

Well what was it? My ranger is doing the EXACT same thing throwing the same codes. Did you ever fix it? Do not leave a post hanging.....

Notta

Didnt fix anything, truck works great when driving, doesn't start easy yet but has acceleration again and idles very well now, but still have p0171 and p0174 codes but like i said runs like a top once it starts. Seems like you have to turn it over for awhile before it starts, thinking fuel filter or pump next for the hard start issue as for the codes not sure where to go next i replaced all the vacuum lines that i thought were rough shape.

IANAM . . . . try cleaning the throttle body,

disconnect the battery !!!! first

remove the air tubes and plugs attached to throttle body.

4 8mm bolts hold it to the plenum you may find it nice and cruddy butterfly.

carb/throttle body cleaner should work just fine.

The throttle body, on my X was fine. But, I had the fuel filter changed, and this solved part of the problem. However....it did not SOLVE the problem. I still have a stumble, off the line. And a stutter/stumble, some of the time. As stated...some of the problem was fixed with a new fuel filter. But, there is obviously something wrong with what I believe, is the fuel delivery. It could be the injectors, pressure regulator, or fuel pump. I don't know. But, your problem sounds much like mine.

BTW, just found this!
If a car has a check engine light on and has P0171 and P0174 codes stored, the most likely cause is a vacuum leak. These codes are set by the car’s computer when it sees too much oxygen in the exhaust. Excessive oxygen readings in the exhaust will set lean codes. This does not mean that the oxygen sensors are defective. It is a common mistake for people to replace oxygen sensors when lean codes are present. Just because the code is related to oxygen sensor readings, it doesn’t mean that the oxygen sensors are bad. If both of these codes are stored this means that both banks of the engine have excessive oxygen in the exhaust. If the oxygen sensors are replaced it’s most likely that the same codes will reappear. It is very uncommon for two oxygen sensors to fail at the same time.

Therefore the most likely cause of P0171 and P0174 codes is a vacuum leak. The source of a vacuum leak can be one of many things. The most common cause of a vacuum leak is a leaky hose. Vacuum hoses over time can become dry and brittle. The rubber deteriorates and can leak causing a vacuum loss. Many times a leaky vacuum hose can be found by listening for a hissing sound. A large vacuum leak can even make the car run rough at idle. In some cases it will not idle without feathering the gas pedal. Another way to check for a vacuum leak is by using a propane bottle with the hose attachment. By introducing propane to the area where the suspected leak is you can sometimes notice a change in the idle. This is particularly true with cars that don’t have computers. Cars that have computers can quickly compensate for the change in fuel mixture. This makes checking for vacuum leaks in this manner more difficult. If you have access to a scan tool, checking the oxygen sensor readings or fuel trim can be done while checking for leaks with propane. If the readings increase when you are adding propane to be suspected leak area, this indicates a vacuum leak. Another way to check for vacuum leaks is with a smoke machine. Evaporative smoke testers can be used to check for vacuum leaks as well. Evaporative leaks have to do with fuel vapors and a smoke machine is used to find those leaks. But evaporative smoke machines can also be used to find engine vacuum leaks easily. To check for engine vacuum leaks with a smoke machine, just find a vacuum hose that goes to the engine and attach the hose on the machine. When the smoke machine is turned on, smoke will enter the engine and help reveal the vacuum leak source. It is common for some smoke to come out out certain areas without indicating a vacuum leak, so if you think you’ve found a leak with the smoke is best to double-check it to make sure. The smoke machine is a great time-saver and can help pinpoint vacuum leaks quickly.

Mass Air Flow (MAF)Another cause of P0171 and P0174 codes can be from a damaged mass airflow sensor. If the reading from the mass airflow is incorrect, the computer can be doing its calculations with wrong numbers. The computer bases the fuel mixture partially based on the amount of incoming air. If the computer sees more air entering the engine than what is actually going in it will enrich the mixture. Therefore if the computer sees less air than what is actually going into the engine it will decrease the amount of fuel in the mixture. Mass airflow sensors can be damaged by dirt getting past the air filter and sometimes from oil that can come off of aftermarket air filters such as K&N. K&N air filters have to be lightly oiled and if excessive oil is applied some of it can come off and endup in the mass airflow sensor. If oil contaminates the sensor it can cause skewed readings.

Fuel Pressure Incorrect fuel pressure from the fuel pump can also rarely cause a lean condition. The fuel pump regulator could be allowing the wrong amount of pressure to be pumped to the fuel injectors. If a fuel filter is clogged or restricted this can alter the amount of fuel that reaches the injectors also. Fuel pressure is not likely to cause lean conditions though, due to the computer’s ability quickly compensate and adjust the air fuel mixture.

A bad DPFE can also throw the same P0171 & P0174 codes. From reading, I learned that after 60K miles, a DPFE sensor is VERY prone to failure, on most Fords.

The big hitters are normaly the mass air flow sensor and the throttle possition sensor. The computer does not use info from the MAFS until 5seconds (i think maybe 15) after starting. Since you must flutter the throttle that rules out MAFS for now. I have a similar issue but mine starts fine (now that I fixed the broken wire to the starter). If we were dealing in the older cars it sounds like a vacuum leak. The most common place for that in newer cars is the PCV valve. Cheap to test. My truck (also 02 but 4.6 ) is at the shop for a diagnostic tomorrow. It is cheap and gives me all I need to make the repair myself. I will post what they say.

Did you by chance put in a Airtex fuel pump? I know they are the cheapest ones available but my buddy (a mechanic) now wont install them because he had a few of them fail on him. Also for the heck of it check out your fuel line and see if there's any damage to it maybe if the slow flow of gas at idle could cause a problem?

New starters have something like shrink wrap on them near the connector because the connector on the stock one's have had a problem failing because it's just open to the elements.

Dirty or broken MAF as well.

OK, I just replaced the DPFE sensor. I ordered it after doing some reading on this forum. I replaced it in about 5 minutes. Actually easier than replacing a turn signal bulb! Disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to delete the "service engine soon" light. Instantly, everything was back to normal! The description was spot on. Water trapped in the hoses leading to the DPFE was listed as the culprit to their demise. When I pulled the DPFE, and rubber hoses, from the metal tubes they connect to, water dripped from the tubes, and the DPFE, itself. Apparently, this was the culprit. DPFE, replaced. Water cleared from the lines. And, everyting back to normal! YES!!!

What is the dpfe and where is it so i can try, will this fix my hard start issue as well?

Ok so finally figured it out everyone!! The codes were thrown out because of fuel pump partial failure. So put one in and done no codes and getting 18 to the gallon again!! Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Back