OHC vrs SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OHC vrs SOHC

The SOHC moniker on the 4.0 is also another redundancy on that particular engine, "over head cam" is the correct singular term. I could see dubbing it the SOHC if there was also a DOHC 4.0 available, like the 4.6 from Ford where there is a SOHC and DOHC version available in some same carlines.
I had a POS GM car back in the day and on its engine cover it proclaimed "Twin Dual Cam". :eek:

427 SOHC can bell called whatever it wants, bad azz mf'er.
I'm pretty sure the Ford Windsor Family and GM LS engine line has put to bed any ill will directed towards pushrods.

Many engines beside 4.0 SOHC Fords are having chain problems, probably making some long for the good old days of cam in blocks timing chains that lasted the life of the motor an did not end up taking the life of the motor when the engines crash.
Rubber timing belts for the durability and serviceability win on OHC engines.

As far as the modular motors go, when i refer to one of them, i simply ask if its a 2, 3 or 4 valve motor.

I perfer DOHC. 4 cams, 2 over each head. My 3.0L DOHCv6 designed in the early 80's makes 220hp and revs to 7500...:) ALSO, there are valve train differences including buckets and shims and lifters (hydrolic vs solid) that change a motors rev speed, ease of maintenance and reliability

SOHC(Single over had cam) would refer to ONE head. IF, like you said, it would be DOHC since ther are 2 cams because of the "V", that would make all "DOHC" motors "QOHC" (quad over head cam).. which is just silly.

GM called some of there DOHC motors simply quad cam for short.

Back