• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SPORT or BMW X5?

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I have mentioned earlier that I am tired of my XLT, mainly due to MFT issues that -I am quite convinced- are issues specific to me, or at least manifest more frequently than for others. I am also missing some features that XLTs don't have.
I have two offers on the table, and have trouble deciding.
One is a BMW X5 35i premium, nicely equipped. The other is the new Explorer Sport, with literally every option checked. (Both would have to be built to order.) The Explorer would cost about 20% less. It would also have a bit more power. That would be my way of giving Ford another chance.
On the other hand screw this, the X5 an amazing car, practically perfect, etc... but I'm concerned about the higher cost, plus I never had a non-American vehicle on my driveway and I'm quite proud of that.
I understand this forum is biased but I would love to get some feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well how much do you want to spend in maintenace and repairs? That should easily decide it if you are on a budget. My dad had an e46 m3 a few years back that he put 160,000 on. He had zero problems with it until the vanos unit took a ****, and he had to pay 10g's out of pocket to get it repaired. Bmw is a reliable vehicle but when something breaks it will cost you, where the Ford is a reliable vehicle that will cost next to nothing to repair. My dad has owned at least 8 Ford trucks and i'm on my first one, the only one we ever had a problem with was the 6.0l powerstroke.

I think you may get a biased answer on this forum lol. My input is, if you do your own repairs, you do not want the BMW. Also, later on once your warranty is up -if you keep them that long- parts for the BMW are going to cost more as is the service as far as I know.

If you're at all worried about cost, I would go with the Explorer. I love BMW's too, but I know that if anything goes wrong...and something eventually will, it'll cost a ton to get it fixed. That, along with the higher up front cost, it just isn't worth it for me. Now, if money wasn't an option, I'd get the BMW as my daily, cause it is a wonderful vehicle, and get an older Ex to use as a fun vehicle.

If the BMW dealer is 50 plus miles from your house, you need to keep that in mind for warranty repairs, dealer service, etc. My history with them is what others say.. great vehicle until they break or need service... then open your wallet and bend over....

As a BMW owner you need to understand that a $1,500 thermostat will be your new normal. One of many items that make even the simplest repairs a $2k plus ordeal.

X5 no doubt. If they are new you get a few years free maintenance so no worries there. Extended warranties are always available for it.

Skip the petrol, I'm looking for a 35d :D

For what it's worth...... I've had 6 BMW's including an X5 4.0, all purchased new. None had any major problems not covered by warranty. Routine service (oil changes, filters etc.) were covered by BMW and I was given a loaner everytime I brought it in. They also filled the car up with gas if it was a warranty issue. I always traded before the warranty expired, so I never had an expensive repair.

Having said all that, I'm going with the Sport this year... good luck with your shopping!

In the same position, asked for a Explorer version with the ecoboost 6, they finally make it... but the X5 all around is too tempting and leases so well even at quite higher prices over the Ex. Waiting on the new model, since the X5 is going to drop weight along with other changes. My neighbor has the X5 xDrive35i with jb tune etc, flies, and get's same/better mileage then a regular V6 Explorer... pretty incredible right there considering the big power difference and it's heavier, that 8 speed does wonders for performance and mpg. iDrive is really nice now too, way way better than before.

For what it's worth...... I've had 6 BMW's including an X5 4.0, all purchased new. None had any major problems not covered by warranty. Routine service (oil changes, filters etc.) were covered by BMW and I was given a loaner everytime I brought it in. They also filled the car up with gas if it was a warranty issue. I always traded before the warranty expired, so I never had an expensive repair.

Having said all that, I'm going with the Sport this year... good luck with your shopping!
Does the X5 require premium fuel? Here that is about 60 to 70 cents more per gallon.
Although the Sport will run on regular, premium is recommended to get full performance from the EcoBoost engine.
Good luck with the Sport and welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Peter

Hi all, i have read posts on this site for a few months and am now a member! I have been driving BMW's for the past 10 years and I must say that they have all been extremely reliable and mostly trouble free. My wife and I own three other cars and they are all Fords. These cars have also been mostly trouble free and reliable. In particular we have a 2004 Expedition that has been spectacularly reliable and a terrific car. As a previous poster stated, BMW has a 4 year 50K warranty that covers everything including routine maintenance and all I have had to pay for in these 10 years are tires and gas. Not a bad history. I have been waiting for the explorer to offer the 3.5 EB since the new explorer debuted and just ordered one a few weeks ago. Prior to switching to BMW I had been driving Explorers regularly. An X5 is going to cost around 10 to 12 grand more than a loaded explorer sport. I know because I have compared these 2 vehicles for about 6 months. I know how great BMWs drive and am really hoping that the Explorer sport will deliver close to the same ride. It is hard to beat the BMW engines and I am for sure hooked on force fed engines. I am ready to make a switch back to the Explorer for a while.

We have a BMW and they are great. Nothing like driving a BMW. But, unless money is no issue, don't do it. Our 2003 has been relatively trouble free and is a blast to drive but anything that breaks cost a fortune. Parts, labor, you need to have your checkbook open and ready! If you can afford it, get the ultimate driving machine, because it is that. If you want a good, dependable, affordable vehicle, go with the Ford. Oh, don't forget it uses premium fuel. They say it can run on reg. and "adjust"...don't believe it; the vehicle needs the premium to run right.

We have an '01 X5, a '10 X6 (essentially an X5 mechanically), and an '11 Explorer Limited. The X5 has never had a major mechanical, nor a minor in the first 70,000 miles. I've performed scheduled maintenance on it, including preventative (water pump) when it made sense. Parts costs are not terribly far out of line with any other modern vehicle and often times similar- no $1500 thermostat (really???).
The X6 has had no mechanical issues. One tire looks to be wearing a bit differently so I am going to have the alignment checked.

The Explorer has been in the shop at least 5 times in 18,000 miles. The Explorer has stranded me with a car full of family on a hot summer day- thank you faulty fans. I've had the flapping a-pillar problem, brake rotor issues, un-diagnosed vibration (recently resolved with a new tire, after a year of trying to get them to fix it), MFT, paint wearing off the doors, glove box door misalignment, groceries smashed in the third row after accidental seat activation, navigation system failure, etc.

After one year a dealership offered me $32k for the Ex (clean and in great condition), which was over $47k new...

The X6 is a year older and has depreciated less than the Explorer (actual dollar amount, not just percentage).

So here is my ultimate update.

I ended trading my Explorer for an X5 premium 35i.

This new car is light years ahead. Does everything effortlessly, feels like it is gliding on rails, plenty of power, sharp brakes. It owns the road.
The sound and entertainment system is actually fun to use. Attention to detail everywhere you look.
All those annoying little things like the flapping windshield noise, misaligned door panels, are non-existent, and would not even be allowed through the factory doors. Fit and finish is 1st class and exactly what you'd expect.
Ford take note: the sum of small things is what matters.

And I'm also making it VERY clear so Ford can learn from this: the #1 reason for getting rid of the Explorer was MyFord Touch. Its flaws cannot be fixed with software patches. Period.

That said, as part of my farewell, I would like to mention a few things that were better in the Explorer than in the BMW:
-rear view camera had better image quality
-driver seat was softer, more plush (though it's a matter of preference)
-steering wheel in ford felt great (grip, comfort, lightness)

I have found that my explorer with just 20K miles on it, still in mint condition is worth less that half of what i paid for it, in other words about 1/3 of sticker.

I doubt you'd experiance that from a X5

From what I have seen Bmw's do not hold their value at all. I still love them and I agree that it is the small things that count. Most people read window stickers, hp/tq numbers, weight, watch videos and get their opinions off of that. If everyone did that Bmw would not sale very many cars because everyone would miss those small details that Bmw never misses. If you have not driven a Bimmer I suggest you go try it. Especially an m car.

From what I have seen Bmw's do not hold their value at all. I still love them and I agree that it is the small things that count. Most people read window stickers, hp/tq numbers, weight, watch videos and get their opinions off of that. If everyone did that Bmw would not sale very many cars because everyone would miss those small details that Bmw never misses. If you have not driven a Bimmer I suggest you go try it. Especially an m car.
BMWs hold their value well, that's one reason their lease rates are so good vs comparable equipped models from others like Audi etc. Go look at what used Xdrive35/50/diesel etc go for on the used market, they hold their value very well. Same for the 3 series etc. Sure they depreciate like 99% of cars, but their overall depreciation rate is very low vs others.

Buy the BMW.....I've got a 2013 EXP/XLT, that has been nothing but trouble. I'll not buy another Ford........Plum

Buy the Explorer. I have an early build 2011 Limited and it has been great. Only problem has been with the random windshield wipe. Lots of cargo space, great ride, runs on regular gas.

There are probably 1000's more owners that are happy with their Explorer compared to those that not.
I'm sure that if you check out other vehicle forums that you will see that they are all quite a bit like ours. Some people love their vehicle and others can't wait to get rid of them.
I am/was a member of the Toyotanation Forum and the comments there were much like they are here.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it came down to me with an Explorer or BMW I would get a BMW. I am just a huge BMW fan (don’t hate me explorer fans) and would love to drive one, one day! I do however love my Explorer and wouldn’t change it for anything. Like Peter said I only had few issues and enjoy changing the car up. I feel as if all BMW’s look the same and there is very little you can do to change it.
- Justin

Back