Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Welcome to the Forum tjEXPLORER11.:wavey:
Is this smell evident under normal acceleration? Do you notice it at all when the vehicle is idling?

Peter

Just hard acceleration. You punch it, you smell it.

You can go 80 and smell nothing, but if you're going 60 and punch it to 80, you smell it.

If you're stopped and punch it and only hit 60, you smell it.

Not real happy about smelling oil, or exhaust or fumes from the crank case or whatever it is, in the cabin, at all.

:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't got the smell in the ex everytime I drive it but have smelled it a few times. Shut the ex down for a minute to open the driveway gates one day, came back and started up, bad smell. Next time was on the highway, passing a car, bad smell. Last time I smelled it I was standing in the rear of the ex for a few minutes, ex running, smelled like rotten eggs....Hope the recall is sooner than later. Gonna wait till then to have it fixed!

Haven't got the smell in the ex everytime I drive it but have smelled it a few times. Shut the ex down for a minute to open the driveway gates one day, came back and started up, bad smell. Next time was on the highway, passing a car, bad smell. Last time I smelled it I was standing in the rear of the ex for a few minutes, ex running, smelled like rotten eggs....Hope the recall is sooner than later. Gonna wait till then to have it fixed!
This is not an unsual problem and from what I have been able to find out, is not a problem with the vehicle. I have looked at some online info and it seems that it can sometimes be contributed to the brand of gasoline you are using. What you smell is sulphur which is usually removed during the gasoline refining process. Gas that contains a high amount of sulphur will result in a smell when the exhausted fumes are passed through the catalytic converter. It is usually noticed on cold startups, long periods of idling or after hard acceleration. It may possibly be eliminated by changing gasoline brands.
I did an Internet search on "rotten egg smell and catalytic converters" and came up with many articles, one of which is linked here;

http://www.delphifaq.com/faq/f1188.shtml

Peter

All this smelly AC sounds like a clogged or defective PCV valve, when clogged it can cause poor engine performance, dirty air cleaner, and can cause fumes to be directed into the cabin, as well as a rough idle. But lets just focus on the smelly fumes when AC is on....;)
Hi friends. I have an old problem. With the crankcase gases engine oil enters the air system of the engine. Oil flows and stains the engine air filter. No smell of sulfur in the cabin. Does anyone have such a problem? As many problems with the valve PSV?

:salute: http://www.fordexplorerclub.ru/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1900

This is not an unsual problem and from what I have been able to find out, is not a problem with the vehicle. I have looked at some online info and it seems that it can sometimes be contributed to the brand of gasoline you are using. What you smell is sulphur which is usually removed during the gasoline refining process. Gas that contains a high amount of sulphur will result in a smell when the exhausted fumes are passed through the catalytic converter. It is usually noticed on cold startups, long periods of idling or after hard acceleration. It may possibly be eliminated by changing gasoline brands.
I did an Internet search on "rotten egg smell and catalytic converters" and came up with many articles, one of which is linked here;

http://www.delphifaq.com/faq/f1188.shtml

Peter

I don't think anybody would argue with you Peter in saying that this smell is normal for a car, as it is. The issue that some of us have is that it is finding its way into the car when it should be staying outside, especially when the exhaust is that issued from our own vehicle! :)

Not sure why some people think we are smelling "rotten egg" smell. The problem I'm having is a crank case vapor smell.

Not sure why some people think we are smelling "rotten egg" smell. The problem I'm having is a crank case vapor smell.
It is very possible that some people are getting that sulphur smell. It can occur after hard acceleration as I posted previously in this thread. Sometimes that can be cured by changing the brand of gasoline to one with a lower or no sulphur level.

Peter

From what I read, some people need to start a new thread and keep this one on it's very specific and confirmed topic.

This thread is about bad smell under hard acceleration, not rotten egg smell at idle.

From what I read, some people need to start a new thread and keep this one on it's very specific and confirmed topic.

This thread is about bad smell under hard acceleration, not rotten egg smell at idle.

It still pisses me off that there's no solution to this. It's a 40 thousand dollar ride.....it shouldn't smell like burnt oil when you pass somebody.

My loyalty to Ford is slipping a bit.

Hey guys,

It’s very important to me that this smell is taken care of. I’m here to help by escalating this up to your regional Customer Service Managers. For those who haven’t already done so, please send me a PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, VIN, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Hey guys,

It’s very important to me that this smell is taken care of. I’m here to help by escalating this up to your regional Customer Service Managers. For those who haven’t already done so, please send me a PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, VIN, and approximate mileage.

Cory

I have to ask, what good will that do if you've already had your Explorer in the shop and they have no solution and said Ford had no solution? Has there been a solution found that isn't being mentioned here? I mean besides a new maximum strength air freshener?

^-- I've been closely following this thread, as far as I know there was no solution mentioned (It is possible I may have missed few posts here and there). But one member installed a K&N intake and it solved his oil smell issue. But it is not a proper Ford solution :) just a accidental solution I would say. And intakes are not for everyone (from a preference stand point)

there was a recent post about oil in the intake manifold, having to do with altitude, pcv and oil weight as i recall. maybe you're collecting oil in your intake and when you accelerate hard the increase in suction and/or inertia causes the oil to be sucked into the engine... just a thought.

Problem Supposedly Known - Fix Unclear

^-- I've been closely following this thread, as far as I know there was no solution mentioned (It is possible I may have missed few posts here and there). But one member installed a K&N intake and it solved his oil smell issue. But it is not a proper Ford solution :) just a accidental solution I would say. And intakes are not for everyone (from a preference stand point)

I was one of the very first "Guinea Pigs" Ford used regarding this problem. My dealer worked hand-in-hand with the Ford Technicians and tried numerous temporary fixes on my 11 EX, nothing really worked. I had it in the week before last and was told that they know what it is, but aren't sure how they're going to fix it.

Evidently the mufflers have two holes in each. The rear A/C is located behind the sub-woofer in the right rear of the vehicle; additionally, there are two vents in each side of the rear of the EX (even those w/o rear air), they are part of an intricate ventilation system. Evidently the vents are pulling in exhaust from those two small holes in the mufflers.

I am surprised they haven't taken a more urgent approach to getting it fixed and wonder how much longer it is going to take. Now is not a time for Ford to think of the expense and protect their customer's health and well-being.

Give me some duct tape and tell me where those two holes are and I'll have a fix in about 10 minutes :)

there was a recent post about oil in the intake manifold, having to do with altitude, pcv and oil weight as i recall. maybe you're collecting oil in your intake and when you accelerate hard the increase in suction and/or inertia causes the oil to be sucked into the engine... just a thought.
Replaced the valve PSV. No result. I am no racer :) engine air filter creates a lot of resistance . We do not have a lot of dust. That is not so. :(

I have a 2013 and im having the EXACT same problem with exhaust smell in cabin under hard acceleration.

Took it to our local dealer here in Killeen, TX and they could not duplicate it and sent me packing. I guess its my problem and they kept telling me its normal. BS, i have owned several vehicles, Fords too, that NEVER had this issue.

I also have some sort of a knocking sound under the front floor board when going over bumps some times as well.

If you find a solution to the exhaust smell please PM me!

I have a 2013 and im having the EXACT same problem with exhaust smell in cabin under hard acceleration.

Took it to our local dealer here in Killeen, TX and they could not duplicate it and sent me packing. I guess its my problem and they kept telling me its normal. BS, i have owned several vehicles, Fords too, that NEVER had this issue.

I also have some sort of a knocking sound under the front floor board when going over bumps some times as well.

If you find a solution to the exhaust smell please PM me!
Regarding the knocking sound, one member had a vibration in his Explorer. The dealer found that the transmission cooling line was not fastened. He didn't mention a knocking sound though.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was one of the very first "Guinea Pigs" Ford used regarding this problem. My dealer worked hand-in-hand with the Ford Technicians and tried numerous temporary fixes on my 11 EX, nothing really worked. I had it in the week before last and was told that they know what it is, but aren't sure how they're going to fix it.

Evidently the mufflers have two holes in each. The rear A/C is located behind the sub-woofer in the right rear of the vehicle; additionally, there are two vents in each side of the rear of the EX (even those w/o rear air), they are part of an intricate ventilation system. Evidently the vents are pulling in exhaust from those two small holes in the mufflers.

I am surprised they haven't taken a more urgent approach to getting it fixed and wonder how much longer it is going to take. Now is not a time for Ford to think of the expense and protect their customer's health and well-being.

Back