Help me before I put a match in my gas tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me before I put a match in my gas tank

uncle mike

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 AWD XLT
Last Tuesday I was driving someplace and pulled over and shut off my truck so I could send a text. When I was done the truck wouldn't start, well it did start for about ten seconds but just kind of putted until it died,. I got towed home and the next day borrowed a code reader. I got the camshaft postion sensor code. When I took off the old sensor I saw all sorts of rust and metal underneath it. So I came here and did some research. Thanks to you guys I was able to change the syncro and sensor.

But the truck still didn't start so I started to think maybe the reason it did run for the ten seconds was because it had very little gas left. I don't own a fuel pressure tester and I am out of work right know because of a bad hip. Only getting 60% of my pay right now so I decided to skip buying myself one. Instead I got a new fuel filter and while I was changing it I tried starting the truck with the fuel line in a bucket, no fuel came out. I then checked the fuse, the relay and the inertia switch. Those all seem to be working fine, so now I am onto the fuel pump.

With my bad hip and the fact that I just filled the gas tank before the truck died I decided it would be best to cut the access pannel. I have the electrical plug on the frame disconnect and the two fuel lines removed. But the wires that go to the fuel pump also go to some sort of senor pluged into the tank. I cannot get the plug to that to come off and I am ready to put a match in the gas tank and call it a day. I can see the top of what ever this sensor is and it say push down and turn to remove. So after some time I got it to turn to the right but it still doesn't come out of the gas tank.

I should probably mention its a 96 Explorer AWD 5.0. How can I get the plug off the sensor or get the sensor to get out of the tank?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I did mine last month, I just cut the wires and pulled the pump. Stagger the cuts so there is not abig wad of wiring at one place. If you are talking about the four wires going into the top of the tank, they are the ground, power, and sender.

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

I did manage to get the sensor out, turns out it is the fuel tank pressure sensor. I changed out the fuel pump and started to put everything back together. I am now trying to put this sensor back in and it is even harder to get in than it was to get out. On the bright side my truck did start for the first time in 6 days even without the sensor.

I never would have got this far if it wasn't for this board, just wanted to say thanks for everything.

Those sensors suck.... Put a little oil on it and push harder.

Put a little oil on it and push harder.

Hmmm. seems to fix many problems. :D

Glad to see the forum helping people out. Just keepin this thread in the back of my head for future reference.

Those sensors suck.... Put a little oil on it and push harder.

So I got up early today to tackle that sensor, figured I would drive to AutoZone and get some lube of some sort for the o-ring. I got to the bottom of my street and stopped to fix my radio presets. While parked there with my foot on the brake pedal I heard a hiss as the brake petal went all the way to the floor. I took a quick look and brake fluid was all over the back rear axle on the drivers side.
So I went home and went back to bed:( I am about to go out and look under my truck and see what is wrong. And I still need to put that sensor back in.

So I got up early today to tackle that sensor, figured I would drive to AutoZone and get some lube of some sort for the o-ring. I got to the bottom of my street and stopped to fix my radio presets. While parked there with my foot on the brake pedal I heard a hiss as the brake petal went all the way to the floor. I took a quick look and brake fluid was all over the back rear axle on the drivers side.
So I went home and went back to bed:( I am about to go out and look under my truck and see what is wrong. And I still need to put that sensor back in.

Just use whatever you have... engine oil, trans fluid, wd-40, cooking oil from the kitchen. Hell, pull the dipstick and use a few drops of oil off it.

As far as the brake fluid leak.... at least you werent trying to stop on the highway and found out you had no brakes!

Yeah, brings back memories of prom night...

:biggthump

Should only need oil for the back door :D

You said you have a bad hip, so did you actually make sure it's brake fluid? Could be gas residue or overflow or a bad pinion seal. If you can, get some of the fluid and fingers to find out what it is.

^ oops :D got excited when I heard "lube"

Back