Please HELP with quickstrut install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please HELP with quickstrut install

M1911A1

Reaction score
City, State
MICHIGAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
I have spent hours trying to fit new Monroe quickstruts (FRONT). I read here that you have to disconnect the Sway Bar tie ends, and the arms. Wich arm upper or lower? and how do you do that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few schools on this. I replaced mine in the last 2 weeks.

First one that I replaced I disconnected the stabilizer end link and separated the upper ball joint.

On the second one, I left the end link connected. During install I pryed down on the lower control arm and lifted up on the upper to get it in.

To separate the ball joint, I used a 18 mm ratchet wrench. You may have to hold the stud with a 8 mm wrench to keep from spinning. Once the nut is off, just tap the knuckle in a few spots to break it loose.

There are a few schools on this. I replaced mine in the last 2 weeks.

First one that I replaced I disconnected the stabilizer end link and separated the upper ball joint.

On the second one, I left the end link connected. During install I pryed down on the lower control arm and lifted up on the upper to get it in.

To separate the ball joint, I used a 18 mm ratchet wrench. You may have to hold the stud with a 8 mm wrench to keep from spinning. Once the nut is off, just tap the knuckle in a few spots to break it loose.

THANKS for replying, I wish would'nt have to separate any more components, this past days i had to replace a front wheel bearing and a front right coil, now i'm stuck with the left front coil, every step of the way i have had a heck of a time (don't know if it's rust because of salt/dirt roads, or old age... probably both) Now the weather is turning colder and rainy here in Michigan. So according to your experience it's a matter of forcing the assembly.

Not so much of "forcing the assembly" as it was spreading the opening.

Front quickstruts?

I have spent hours trying to fit new Monroe quickstruts (FRONT). I read here that you have to disconnect the Sway Bar tie ends, and the arms. Wich arm upper or lower? and how do you do that?

If you're not already done with this job. I just did it and I disconnected the sway bar link so the lower arm would drop. I did not disconnect the upper control arm.

Drop the assembly down through the lower control arm and then push it up into place so you can get the top 3 nuts started. Then tighten them almost all the way.

You should be able to push the bottom of the assembly up into position so that you can get the big bolt started.

Good luck.

Back