Whats the first thing that has cracked, broke or scratched in your EXP? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the first thing that has cracked, broke or scratched in your EXP?

BMC makes the one with the lip. I bought one but haven't put it on yet because the quality is horrible. The molded part has a bunch of bubbles along the lip edge, inconsistent surface texture, nasty flash lines, and is ever so slightly curved so that it doesn't follow the bumpers edge exactly. All for $80, what a deal. It does offer the best protection of products out there, but its quality is so lacking I can't bring myself to put it on.

I installed a BMC and it was in good shape. I did have to bend it slightly during install as the curve wasn't quite right, but it installed just fine and looks good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BMC cover

http://s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u508/dwpgrr/?action=view&current=2c46b59b.jpg

This is a photo of my BMC bumper cover. Yes, the bottom edge had to be trimmed and sanded a bit because it was a little rough. It was installed on a 94 degree day and the cover was quite hot when applied. It conformed nicely to the curves and I like the fact that it protects the edge of the Explorer bumper, (something that other covers do not do). Surface finish is fine on mine.

New Exp; First Accident

Wife and I took our new Exp down to Dallas for the weekend. Two miles from our hotel, cars in front of us kicked up a piece of angle iron that hit the plastic part underneath the bumper (valence?) and made several loud bangs as it bounced underneath the car. (This happened at approx 65mph). Body shop will have to replace the black plastic piece under the bumper, and noticed an A/C line underneath the car had been damaged. Unfortunately, the body shop didn't have an available lift to do a more thorough inspection of the undercarriage, so I'm taking it to the dealer for a thorough undercarriage inspection tomorrow morning. The damage isn't much, and the car is intact but for the gouge in the plastic piece under the bumper. Body shop has scheduled repairs for next Tuesday.

Took delivery July 5th of a 2013 EcoBoost. Did'nt see the Factory paint flaws on the hood and top. Dealer did not acknowledge or disclose the paint prior to delivery.... Luv the vehicle, but Fords "fix" is unacceptable to the wife and I. Trying to work this out, but at this point I don't think Ford really cares much about their customers satisfaction....best rgards Plum

Can you tell me, what was the proposed "fix"? I have similar paint bubble flaws underneath the luggage rack rods that are not visible unless you have a step stool. Have only had XLT for <2 weeks. Need to bring to dealer tomorrow.

Can you tell me, what was the proposed "fix"? I have similar paint bubble flaws underneath the luggage rack rods that are not visible unless you have a step stool. Have only had XLT for <2 weeks. Need to bring to dealer tomorrow.
Welcome to the Forum trailcrunchers. :wavey:
What you see is normal. All the Explorers have that in the rain gutter. Save yourself a trip to the dealer. See the following thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348195&highlight=paint

Peter

Ford's proposed fix for my top, was to remove the racks, and repaint the entire top.....I argued with them over this proceedure, but they would not budge....Eventually they offered me an additional 5 yr 75,000 mi. ESP bumper to bumper warrantee, which I took......so for now I'm just watching to see what happens with it, since I can't see it either without a ladder....best regards Plum

Vince, the peel and stick bumber cover I purposely mounted it out to the edge as much as possible to protect it from anything sliding out of the rear. It still,protects the top of the bumper. The only exposed area of the bumper is right next to the opening of the hatch itself, which has a trim and pad around it.

If I didn't bring it out all the way out to the outer edge, there would be aout 3/4 to 1 inch exposed bumper. Right now there is only 1/8 to 1/4 pf an inch

172e8510.jpg

8da368bf.jpg

Sad to see that the folks at Ford could not get the edge of the bumper protector to curve the same as the bumper.... Details, folks, details. :(

Sad to see that the folks at Ford could not get the edge of the bumper protector to curve the same as the bumper.... Details, folks, details. :(

actually I put it on that way on purpose.....

Back