Entertainment turns on by itself when leaving car during phone call | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Entertainment turns on by itself when leaving car during phone call

sterlinggold

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I keep having this issue where I'm on a call with my phone connected to the car over bluetooth and the entertainment system is off. When I arrive to my destination and I turn off the engine everything is fine, phone call still commences over the car's bluetooth. BUT as soon as I open the door phone call switches from bluetooth to phone (as expected) AND the entertainment system turns on. At this point since the door is open all the controls and displays are turned off so there is no way to turn the entertainment system off. if I close the door and lock the car it keep playing. The only way to turn it off is to start the car again and turn off the entertainment system.

very annoying.

any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I keep having this issue where I'm on a call with my phone connected to the car over bluetooth and the entertainment system is off. When I arrive to my destination and I turn off the engine everything is fine, phone call still commences over the car's bluetooth. BUT as soon as I open the door phone call switches from bluetooth to phone (as expected) AND the entertainment system turns on. At this point since the door is open all the controls and displays are turned off so there is no way to turn the entertainment system off. if I close the door and lock the car it keep playing. The only way to turn it off is to start the car again and turn off the entertainment system.

very annoying.

any ideas?
Instead of restarting the vehicle, have you tried turning the entertainment system off by touching the center of the large radio dial on the Sony panel?
The entertainment system can be turned ON and OFF by that method and you don't have to have the key fob with you. Not everyone is aware of that.

Peter

Instead of restarting the vehicle, have you tried turning the entertainment system off by touching the center of the large radio dial on the Sony panel?
The entertainment system can be turned ON and OFF by that method and you don't have to have the key fob with you. Not everyone is aware of that.

Peter

yes, tried that but the button does not respond. I suspect that once the door is open these console buttons get disabled along with the touch display.

yes, tried that but the button does not respond. I suspect that once the door is open these console buttons get disabled along with the touch display.
I just went into the garage, without my fob, and with the door open, I was able to turn the entertainment system on. I did this after waiting about 30 seconds or so for all the lights and the display to out after I opened the door.
There have been a few quirky little issues similar to this reported. I don't know if the system will go off after the 10 minute auto shut-off system that the Ex has.
I know that my phone disconnects from bluetooth about 10 seconds or so after I shut the Ex off. It took me a while to realize what the beep was that I kept hearing after walking away. Turns out it is my cell.
Good luck.

Peter

I just went into the garage, without my fob, and with the door open, I was able to turn the entertainment system on. I did this after waiting about 30 seconds or so for all the lights and the display to out after I opened the door.
There have been a few quirky little issues similar to this reported. I don't know if the system will go off after the 10 minute auto shut-off system that the Ex has.
I know that my phone disconnects from bluetooth about 10 seconds or so after I shut the Ex off. It took me a while to realize what the beep was that I kept hearing after walking away. Turns out it is my cell.
Good luck.

Peter

I can recreate this pretty consistently using these steps:

1. while the engine is running turn off the entertainment system
2. make sure phone is connected over BT to the car and make a call
3. turn engine off (call continues)
4. open the door. call moves from BT to phone and entertainment system turns on.for me it always goes to FM no matter what source I was listening on before.

I wonder if MFT is turning on to handle the hand-off between the bluetooth and the phone? I imagine they could have programmed that to happen without waking up MFT, but who knows. Why it goes to FM, again, who knows?

Mine has done the same thing ..... Have to cycle the ignition to turn it off ..... and I was not on the phone at the time ...... It was just stuck on.

I can recreate this pretty consistently using these steps:

1. while the engine is running turn off the entertainment system
2. make sure phone is connected over BT to the car and make a call
3. turn engine off (call continues)
4. open the door. call moves from BT to phone and entertainment system turns on.for me it always goes to FM no matter what source I was listening on before.
Do you always turn the entertainment system off before you shut down the vehicle? Does the problem also present itself if you leave the system on? I never turn mine off. It goes off when the Ex is turned off and bluetooth disconnects.
I went through the steps 1-4 above and everything worked as it should. Entertainment system did not come back on.

Peter

Do you always turn the entertainment system off before you shut down the vehicle? Does the problem also present itself if you leave the system on? I never turn mine off. It goes off when the Ex is turned off and bluetooth disconnects.
I went through the steps 1-4 above and everything worked as it should. Entertainment system did not come back on.

Peter
I don't turn it off just because I'm leaving the car; it's usually off since at some point I turned it off to talk to the passenger. I guess if there was a mute button I'd use it but since there is non I just turn it off. It all works fine if the system is on and I exit the car during a call.

I'm getting worried that others are not having the same issue since that might indicate something is wrong with my car.

You should have posted this in the mft forum to get the IVT's attention.

You should have posted this in the mft forum to get the IVT's attention.

I was told that this problem will be solved by the next MFT "fix" due out this 4 th quarter. As it is it is the only problem I have left to fix after 18 visits to the dealer.

Just took my explorer in for the power steering problem and mentioned the radio staying on after I turn car off. They said they would do a hard reset and that should take care of the problem. We will see when I get my car back.

The same issue happens to me on a Mercedes. They say that if you are in a call and exit the car while talking the sound system still has the call.

It happens even if you are not in a call, and the car is turned off, BUT receive a call while you are till very close to the car, the sound system picks up the call and the radio turns on by itself when you are gone. Come back to the car in a few minuted and the sound system is on.

Maybe is a bluetooth issue and not a car brand issue.

J

Sterlinggold - I have the EXACT same issue. I'm in an XLT so the limited fob isn't a factor.

The other day - was on the phone and *I turned the radio off* while I was on the phone. Just because (no specific reason I just know I did - maybe it was while I was waiting for it to dial?). I then took my phone and turned *OFF* the headset - so I wasn't talking over bluetooth any longer (though the car thought I was). I got home, turned off the car, opened the door and the radio came on louder than I had it before. I got to the passenger side and opened the door, stuck my key in, put it in accessory mode and tried to get that to work. It did - for a minute. Then BLAM on it came again. I just left it (still on the phone with my mom) and it was off when I checked the next time.

*weird sidenote - the next time I got into the car, the radio was on as normal. Not still powered off like I left it.

Thats strange, I can't offer any help, but I can say I have never had this happen and I get out of my car TONS while on the phone. Hmmm...

The radio should turn off after a while. The battery saver program or what ever Ford calls it, should prevent it from staying on. I tried to find it in the manual but gave up. It is a poorly designed index in my opinion. Needs more cross referencing.
My Explorer is parked in the garage so I turned my radio/MFT on using the large black button on the Sony panel. I did not have the fob with me or in range of the vehicle. The radio/MFT turned itself off after about 30 minutes.
I'm assuming it would do the same in the situation described by the sterlinggold.

Peter

Thats strange, I can't offer any help, but I can say I have never had this happen and I get out of my car TONS while on the phone. Hmmm...
I was going to say something about a certain gender and phones here but thought I'd better not. :D

Peter

The radio should turn off after a while. The battery saver program or what ever Ford calls it, should prevent it from staying on. I tried to find it in the manual but gave up. It is a poorly designed index in my opinion. Needs more cross referencing.
My Explorer is parked in the garage so I turned my radio/MFT on using the large black button on the Sony panel. I did not have the fob with me or in range of the vehicle. The radio/MFT turned itself off after about 30 minutes.
I'm assuming it would do the same in the situation described by the sterlinggold.

Peter

Now you're just getting lazy Peter! Tsk-tsk-tsk :D

Here it is (from the bottom of page 79 in the 1st printing PDF, or page 77 in the 3rd printing PDF):

Battery Saver
If the courtesy lamps, dome lamps or headlamps are left on, the battery
saver will shut them off 10 minutes after the ignition has been turned off.

Accessory Mode Battery Saver for Intelligent Access Keys
(If Equipped)

If you shut off the engine and leave the ignition in the on or accessory
mode, the ignition will shut off after 30 minutes.

But I will agree that the manual isn't that well put together. It has tons of great information (actually it excels in that department), but the indexing is terrible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now you're just getting lazy Peter! Tsk-tsk-tsk :D

Here it is (from the bottom of page 79 in the 1st printing PDF, or page 77 in the 3rd printing PDF):

Battery Saver
If the courtesy lamps, dome lamps or headlamps are left on, the battery
saver will shut them off 10 minutes after the ignition has been turned off.

Accessory Mode Battery Saver for Intelligent Access Keys
(If Equipped)

If you shut off the engine and leave the ignition in the on or accessory
mode, the ignition will shut off after 30 minutes.

But I will agree that the manual isn't that well put together. It has tons of great information (actually it excels in that department), but the indexing is terrible.
Thanks Vince. Now that you gave me an area in which to look, I found it on page 84 of my 2011 Owner's Guide, 1st print.
I guess the radio falls under the Accessory Mode part even though I didn't have the ignition in either mode since I didn't have the fob with me.

Peter

Back