• Register Today It's free!

O.K. time for another 4.0 swap

93 x

Reaction score
City, State
bothell washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
ok i have a 86 ranger sas on 35's my tired old 2.9 is just about done. Im still searching for the right explorer but it will definitely be an explorer 91-94. I am an ase certified mechanic i have a full service of any tools i need, lifts and mitchell or alldata. so my main question is will my trans (5 speed) inputshaft work on this motor i know, i will need a 4.0 clutch and flywheel but will my input shaft, with the splines work? Any other tips will be appreciated. I will keep pictures posted soon enough. I hope i can swap everything without cutting and splicing any wiring. Also if anybody needs any specs wiring diagrams or anything let me know i can get them just cause im a nice guy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the 2.9 bolts up to the 4.0 just fine.that's the combo i was planning on running as it has the lowest first gear out.

Like JD said, yes it will bolt up.

The problem is that the FM145 (IIRC, but it might be a 146) isnt strong enough to last long term behind a 4.0l. It might get you by until you find a M5OD to swap in, but go easy on it.

Like JD said, yes it will bolt up.

The problem is that the FM145 (IIRC, but it might be a 146) isnt strong enough to last long term behind a 4.0l. It might get you by until you find a M5OD to swap in, but go easy on it.

I wonder what FOXRACING is running with his 2.9 because he beats the hell outa his.i decided against the 5speed swap because i just hate wheeling a stick!!

I wonder what FOXRACING is running with his 2.9 because he beats the hell outa his.i decided against the 5speed swap because i just hate wheeling a stick!!

My 2.9l destroyed 8 FM146s between me and the original owner. :D I swapped in a M5 and never had another problem.

So what is the weak link in that fm145 (i do have that one). The trans shop across the street can prob put a newer better whatever breaks all the time part? I just like the low 1st gear.

bump?

So what is the weak link in that fm145 (i do have that one). The trans shop across the street can prob put a newer better whatever breaks all the time part? I just like the low 1st gear.

I cant tell you about the 145, but I can tell you about the 146. (which I believe is stronger.)
I broke an input shaft, an output shaft, ripped 4.5 teeth off 2nd gear, snapped the 3rd gear shift fork, and busted the 3-4 shift arm. All behind a 2.9l.

I cant tell you about the 145, but I can tell you about the 146. (which I believe is stronger.)
I broke an input shaft, an output shaft, ripped 4.5 teeth off 2nd gear, snapped the 3rd gear shift fork, and busted the 3-4 shift arm. All behind a 2.9l.

damn!! thats nuts the 145 has the trans pan right? so whats the difference on the 146?

damn!! thats nuts the 145 has the trans pan right? so whats the difference on the 146?

IIRC, they both have a pan.

Last I knew he had a 4.0 w/ a 2.9 5 speed (saw it in person).... unk if it was a 145 or 146 trans. All I know is he beats the piss out of his.

Back