How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix

What says on your old one?
What I did, I looked up on Motorcraft site my vehicle (based on VIN) because then you have a better match.
Then I did order it on-line and pick up at my dealer. The parts manager checked again and said it was OK - if it wasn't correct I could take it back. No shipping loses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am at work now and will get the info later.

Edit: It says F87H-19E694-AB

I noticed this post. In my early experiment, I described that the actuator doesn't move at all when I move temprature setting from 60F to 90F from the control panel. I predicated that the actuator is dead. However after I read this thread I started wondering. SO I will do some expriment this weekend to determine whether the actuator is dead or it is not fed with signals.

I opened the actuator and tested the motor with 9V battery and the motor works well. So now the problem is why the power doesn't get to the actuator. I will try to check whether there is broken cable or whether thers is a broken fuse. Anyone had experience in this situation?

The engine light is not on. Id there is ETAC code, would the engine light on?

No. CEL is related just to emissions-related faults.

Continuing working on A/C. I ordered an A/C pressure gauge off eBay and found that the low port is too low so thatthe compressor is cycling on and off in every 3 to 4 seconds. After searching many posts on internet I decided to fill in the freon. I purchased 2 12oz R134A freon from local store and pulled them in. Now the A/C is ice code. I am not sure how long it can last. As long as it can last one summer, it is OK for me. ANd next year I may pull in another 2 cans of freon.

Now come back to the actuator. I regret now I didn't check the a/c pressure before I went on to unscrew it. It is difficult to screw it back. Further I have to try multiple times to place my blend door in correct position so that actuator can be mounted. The screw hole may have been damaged a little which makes the mount even harder.

So unless you are sure that the blend door is the problem, if you feel that a/c doesn't blow cold air measure the a/c pressure for both high and low port. I learned it from the hard way.

Right now I use aluminum tape to hold the blend door in position from the top. THis is a short term solution. I will place the actuator back so that it works in the correct way.

Freakin brilliant!!!

Just an added thought

My friend did this and it worked well until the bumps and vibrations moved the door back. We just ran a sheet metal screw from the bottom to extend into the door area keeping the door from moving. Now the door can't move until the screw is removed. Just do the same thing in the winter with the door in the appropriate spot for heat.

How do you calculate the positio nof the screw? Do you have the different location for screw for windter and summer?

My friend did this and it worked well until the bumps and vibrations moved the door back. We just ran a sheet metal screw from the bottom to extend into the door area keeping the door from moving. Now the door can't move until the screw is removed. Just do the same thing in the winter with the door in the appropriate spot for heat.

depending on where you live you could do this but just about anywhere in the USA there are plenty of times you need heat in the am and cool in the pm

Just to double check. If my Ex is blowing cold air from only my defrost vents, but nowhere else, the door fix won't help, correct? Thanks.

Blend door problem? AC blows hot on AC and only cool on MAX AC

1997 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC
Air conditioning blows hot on AC and only cool on MAX AC

Refrigerant seems to be full as I filled with a bottle from Autozone.
Could this be a blend door problem?

I am brand new to this forum and this is my first post so excuse
me if I did anything incorrectly this first time post.

Well done!.. thanks for taking the time to show us all.. I finally have cold air now..

Thanks!

I'm new on the sight and I thank each of you who post here. We obtained this vehicle for our daughter (new driver) to use. I have learned allot about these vehicles here, so I would like to share.

Although I did not read all 14 pages on this topic I did not see any one that put the rear screw back in the actuator. As I began to remove mine, I saw a fair sized gap under the actuator. Instead of losing time, sockets and my religion on this one, I slid a hacksaw blade under the actuator and cut that puppy off. I didn’t time it but a minute or so and it was done. If you choose to do this, wear leather gloves as the blade could stick and this may prevent cutting your hand.

Thanks again for your help on this, and other topics.

Worked great but now

I did this repair but now my blower motor only works when it wants. I must have knocked something loose when I did the repair. Any ideas where I should look to fix the blower motor?

i recently acquired 99 for explorer for the winter, sat for a year and few days ago got it running. the heater was working on the way home. turn the heater on the next day and notting. check all fuses,rad fluid all good. all manual turn dials, notting works.

i see the whole heater box behind the glove box. i want to do this but want to make sure is the blend door. also the heater box is warm. also as stated before cold,hot,defrost etc notting works no air is pushing threw the vents. need help as winter is coming..

specs is a 99 ford explorer 4L SOHC

If you have no air flow from any of your vents then your blower motor is not turning. Check for power and ground at the blower motor with a test light or DVOM. If you have power and ground you need a new blower motor. If you don't have power recheck fuses , relays and make sure the blower motor resistor trio is plugged in and or good. That's where I would start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the blend door the same for the auto climate control as the manual a/c? The parts I find all state "manual"...I've got this thing torn apart and narrowed down to the blend door. thanks for your help!

Back