• Register Today It's free!

want to do 351W in 94

bovine

Reaction score
City, State
Fort White FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
I was thinking again ( I know mistake but it's fun) I know one day my 4.0 and a4od is going to crap out so I want to be ready when it does I want to do a 351W with a carburetor stroked with a supercharger and all and a 5 speed stick with a manual transfer case swap just wondering if any body has done this kind of setup and if so what all modifications will need to be done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

351wExplorer has done the swap. I can't recall how much it cost him but assume a good bit with all the custom fabrication.

forget about stroking in a RBV, oil pan clearance is already tight, and you will need a deeper pan if you stroke it. Supercharging will require a cowl induction hood for clearance. Headers will most likely need to be custom. I have heard that certain mustang swap headers will clear, but that is in a ranger. I am researching this swap myself right now, but I'm still at least a year out before i can start it

Yea I was going to do a cowl induction if need to make room for the motor if not needed I was just going to cut a hole in the hood for the supercharger to stick through with a bird catcher on top kinda like this http://www.alsblowers.com/regalimages/regal_shaw.html. Would also make custom headers and oil pan.

forget about stroking in a RBV, oil pan clearance is already tight, and you will need a deeper pan if you stroke it. Supercharging will require a cowl induction hood for clearance. Headers will most likely need to be custom. I have heard that certain mustang swap headers will clear, but that is in a ranger. I am researching this swap myself right now, but I'm still at least a year out before i can start it

A stock 5.8l pan will fit a 408 stroker.

Lots of "little" things that make these types of swaps very time consuming. I've heard there are exhaust clearance issues with the 351w so expect custom headers. Advanced Adapters is also a good place to look. Any ideas on a transfer case? I doubt the stock one will hold that much power if your 4wd.

I was thinking about a np 205 transfer case or something along those lines since it electric shift now and I dislike it I want to change it to the manual for less failures.

The advance adapters headers are a log type. Over on TRS a lot of guys are running various mustang headers.

Subscribing too!

Everyone has big dreams about mods for their first car, but this is just ridiculous...

If you actually do any of this stuff I will eat my hat and offer a full apology.

Within 2 months of getting my first vehicle ('79 F350) I had swapped out the 400M for a 460.

3 months after that, I had an 8-71 blower on top of that. :D

SO, dont think it never happens.... Its just very rare.

It will take me a little while around a year since since I am currently in collage and am not working but as soon as I get a job i'm going to start saving and buying to do this since this little 6 cylinder is kinda pathetic for this SUV.

351W would be great to have i also have the 4.0 94 explorer. TO the point now of needing to decide to get it running or just start tearing down everything and start over.

bovine, your time frame is looking better than mine, and i already have the engine, trans, and t-case, but im also trying to do a frame swap and solid axles at the same time as long as my 5r55e trans holds out.

Yea i'm thinking I may need to do solid axles because i'm planning on pushing around 800 hp as my goal so I don't think the dana 35 will hold up to that kind of power when turning 5500 rpm. I am planning on saving the money and buying parts hopefully in December and have my engine trans and transfer case by march is my plan at least.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be starting to worry about a stock 351w block at 800 HP.

Back