2011 Explorer Aries Bull Bar and Tube Steps installed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Aries Bull Bar and Tube Steps installed

I just ordered a set of side bars (oval) from Autoanything for <$200 shipped (black). The advertisement says bolt on--no drilling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered a set of side bars (oval) from Autoanything for <$200 shipped (black). The advertisement says bolt on--no drilling.

I had my 3" oval nerf bars installed today by Ford and the mechanic said he had to drill two holes to complete the job.

I had my 3" oval nerf bars installed today by Ford and the mechanic said he had to drill two holes to complete the job.

That's strange, I didn't have to drill any holes to mount my Aries 3" oval step bars. Got any pics of the new holes he drilled??

Finally attached the Nerf Bars. Took about 2 hours over all over two days. Dropped a bolt inside the frame but I got it out. Looks good and I did not have drill holes.

Installed the 4 inch bars no drilling, post some pics of the install for 3 inch

Just installed the oval bars: no drilling. It took about 1.5 hrs with the Explorer driven up onto ramps for easier access. The plastic pieces bolt holes were too large to hold bolts in place; I didn't even use them.

Overall, pretty secure. I would've liked to see one more bolt securing the front bracket to the Explorer.

Im about to order these from aa.com, and wanted to be sure that these fit on the '13.

Anyone know for sure?

Also, concerned about the pitting/rusting comments on the black bars... anyone have input on this? I'd like to keep the black/non chrome theme of the XLT.

Thanks.

-ern

Im about to order these from aa.com, and wanted to be sure that these fit on the '13.

Anyone know for sure?

Also, concerned about the pitting/rusting comments on the black bars... anyone have input on this? I'd like to keep the black/non chrome theme of the XLT.

Thanks.

-ern

I have black bars on my 11 and haven't noticed any issues.

Trouble getting these level

I just installed these steps and I cannot get them level. They are slanting down away from the vehicle. I have tried adjustments several times with the same results. Anyone got any ideas?

I just installed these steps and I cannot get them level. They are slanting down away from the vehicle. I have tried adjustments several times with the same results. Anyone got any ideas?

Perhaps loosen all the bolts, hold the outside edge up and then re-tighten bolts. I'm pretty sure I did something along these lines from the get go.

Thanks, I tries that several times. It is almost as if the outside edge of the hangers need bending a little. I even tried using washer on the inside to raise up the outside to make them level. I am thinking of taking them to a installer to see I they can help.

Frankly, while these do work, I don't really like them. Not large enough step and the way they anchor is a tad scary...although no issues yet.

Do you get any insurance discounts for having bull bars?

I can dig that. Ive been in the market for one but I dont like the shiny ones. Nice bro. Do they bolt on or did you have to remove some things? thanks

Are these nerf bars actually useable? My son steps on the scuff plates getting in. I have the Sport now and would like them to avoid stepping on the illuminated one. My old scuff plate got scrathed up on my limited.

So,,,,, are these just for looks? Does the application work for stepping on?

Are these nerf bars actually useable? My son steps on the scuff plates getting in. I have the Sport now and would like them to avoid stepping on the illuminated one. My old scuff plate got scrathed up on my limited.

So,,,,, are these just for looks? Does the application work for stepping on?

They work but I saw another set since then that I'd instead go with. Flat all the way through. I don't recall the brand, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll post up some pics when they are installed.

Back