The Notorious ford exploder Timing chains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Notorious ford exploder Timing chains

kavanagh

Reaction score
City, State
Perth western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 exploder
Hi everyone. I know timing chains has been done to death but just need a bit of help. I have a 96 explorer and as you can guess the timing guides have gone (one has, the rest are still ok). I have the engine out and have the timing cover off exposing the chains and can see clearly the main guide has disintegrated. The idea was to get it to this stage buy the kit and have a mechanic to change over the chains and guides, but as i live in perth, mechanics near on want a kidney to change them and it completely outweighs the price of the car. So heres my predicament. I don't want to risk messing with the timing as i know its still good since it was still starting perfect, just really loud. Would it be a really bad idea just to change the guides i can get too myself and running the old chains and sprockets?

Any help is appreciated
cheers
Dave

I didn't want to screw with my chains and timing and all that either. The entire timing chain kit here in Canada is 1400 bucks. So I went the cheaper route and swapped the motor out with a junkyard engine

i don't know the availability/cost of mustang salvage motors where you are, but in the U.S. for about the same money as the timing kit you can get a low mileage (40-70K) '05 mustang engine and swap the long blocks. by '05 Ford had better designed cassettes in these engines.

Back