• Register Today It's free!

junkyard 4.0 sohc

oddball101

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger Edge 5.0
Hey guys, I am going to be swapping over to a 4.0 ohc from my 01' ranger 3.oh no. There are several 4.0's in explorers in the junkyard right now and I'm pretty motivated to get this thing done so I can enjoy my time with Betty some more after the heart transplant. This question isn't a how to do this or that.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some tips one what to look or check for before purchasing my motor from the junkyard. The prices here are rediculously cheap and I'll be doing the rebuild and such when I get it.

I realize the timing chain issue in the 01's bit I am going to be taking care of that regardless of which motor I get. definitely something I don't want creaping up on me after the install. I'm already familiar with PATS and the wiring aspects, I am just curious as far as the mechanical aspects of things. Like signs to keep in mind that might indicate a horrible investment, ways to check the block or tranny for things indicative of being problematic in a rebuild.

*edit*
More specifically, I want to pick up one of these motors but am scared of getting one that has already been destroyed by the timing rattle. If there is a way to test this or signs to look for, I would like to know for obvious reasons.

On top of that, if I am going to do the updated repair anyway. Does it even matter if the block stopped functioning due to the timing chain if I am going to do the rebuild anyway, or would there be too much damage to other things internally or otherwise that would make it more of a pian than it is worth?

So ya, that's it. Just want to know any things that I should be careful about when selecting the motor and tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang, no replies yet and I've got 5 donors waitning for me.

lol Dang, hard crowd

Okay, well can someone tell me how to get the explorer in neutral without the keys so I can try the crank at least?

compression test

If the timing chain has slipped enough that the pistons have struck the valves then the repair will be expensive. If you could do a compression test on all cylinders that would improve your chances of getting a decent engine as a starting point.

I'm not familiar with the Ranger but I suspect you will need a SOHC V6 PCM or a custom tune on your stock PCM.

Are the donors stick or auto? If stick, I think you can simply depress the clutch pedal to get the starter to crank. If auto, should crank in Park as well as neutral.

That is actually some very helpful information, I appreciate it. Yes, I will need the wire harness, PCM, PATS equip, etc. That stuff I can handle, what I was concerned with was exactly what you addressed. Ya, all of them are auto's here that I can find, mine is an auto 2wd as well. I walked through yesterday and counted at least five 4ohc's on my lunch break so at least I can juggle stuff around if need be. It makes sense that it could be turned over in park too, should have figured that.

So really, if I understand this correctly, if the compression checks out I should be good to go as far as the timing gear is concerned and I should be able to repair it and move on with the rebuild.. ?

Makes sense Thanks

Also, as of 2002 (3rd gen) Ford fixed all of the SOHC timing chain issues by updating the hydraulic tensioners and putting metal backing onto the guides. So if you can find a complete engine from a 2002 plus all the wiring you will be set and not have to worry about timing issues.

Why not just do a 5.0 swap if you are going that far?

Why not just do a 5.0 swap if you are going that far?

Awwe man, you had to say it.. ..I have really been trying to resist the 5.0 thinking I could get better gas and "almost" equal power. Then I bumped into a thread, just minding my own business, and it turns out they are roughly the same in mileage.. So really for the past hour and a half I've been reading all about the 5.0's and it is really really tempting. There are several of them here in my junkyard as well.

With the mileage issue out of the way, there are only 2 other things that deter me still from the 5.0

1. It is my understanding that the valve covers interfere with the ranger heater box and effectively sit on the firewall -not a big fan of the engine not having even a little room to jar without bumping into things.

and
2. I have read that to install it "right", you have to shift the entire engine and tranny to the side by about a half inch for clearance issues.. which I am totaly ignorant about considering my very real interest in the 5.0 just started as of 1 hour ago

I have no problem reading and searching for that matter, but if you have a link or two you wanna throw at me that you think covers the important stuff or covers these concerns then please be my guest and educate me.

There is a rediculous amount of knowledge shared here day in and day out. I think it is pretty cool that you guys keep shoveling out lessons learned to the "noobs" like me and the rest of them.. especially when you don't have to.

So, your opinion then.. ? The 302 is really starting to grow on me the more I read..

Thanks

*edit* Reading up on 98+ ranger 5.0 swaps now.

I get roughly 21 mpg out of my V8 sploder and it sounds purdier too.

Haha, ya I bet.

Quick question then since I've sort of doven into the 5.0 now. I am wondering if I use the 2000 explorer mounts, will everything (the drive train) just bolt up to the ranger chassis motor, tranny and 8.8? Since I have a 2wd application, I am finding it difficult to get a solid answer on this as mostly everything I am seeing refers to 4wd applications.

They did make a 2wd v8 explorer. That would be what you want. I would imagine it would be the same process as swapping a 4.0 in, just swap the same parts over. I am not totally sure about the drive shaft situation...

I know I've seen a 4x4 5.0 ranger or 2 on here before.

They did make a 2wd v8 explorer. That would be what you want. I would imagine it would be the same process as swapping a 4.0 in, just swap the same parts over. I am not totally sure about the drive shaft situation...

I know I've seen a 4x4 5.0 ranger or 2 on here before.

Definitely going to be scouting for the 2wd 5.0 explorers.

I meant to inlucde that mine is and "extended cab" 2wd if I didn't already. On that note, is it known if the 01 extended cab ranger and 01 explorers share the same drivetrain mounting points (or measurements or whatever else they could be called)?

I found plate dimensions that placed the 5.0 in the "correct" position in the ranger chassis. Anyone know if these plates allow for the explorer or ranger driveshafts to work?

@ FIND: May I ask something? HOW IN THE HELL YOU GET 21MPG?!?! My explorer gets 17-18 mpg and I drive a lot of highway kms. 4.10 gears CAN'T be giving me that bad of mileage! I mean yeah it's 600rpm difference from my old explorer that had 3.55 gears but seriously.

@ FIND: May I ask something? HOW IN THE HELL YOU GET 21MPG?!?! My explorer gets 17-18 mpg and I drive a lot of highway kms. 4.10 gears CAN'T be giving me that bad of mileage! I mean yeah it's 600rpm difference from my old explorer that had 3.55 gears but seriously.

The things affecting mileage (which you probably already realize) are your transmission, rearend gearing, wheel, tire size, and the computer tune (for the really involved).

That being said, may I ask what your setup is? If "FIND" is running something different, you may consider starting there.

Any codes or anything?

5r55e 5sp auto new filter and tranny fluid in the last 25K, 131K on the motor with oil change pending in 2K, 4.10 rear gear fluid changed in january, awd (brown wire mod though), stock 255 75 R16 tires, stock tune (will get custom tune once I have a chip), true dual 2.5" exhaust. K&n ordered today. Check engine light is on because the fuel pressure sensor is messed up and there is a crack in the plactic that the gas cap screws into. That stuff shouldn't affect the way the vehicle runs, it merely tells the computer it cant confirm a pressure reading. I'm not trying to steal your thread oddball101 I just wanted to know what I'm doing differently.

5r55e 5sp auto new filter and tranny fluid in the last 25K, 131K on the motor with oil change pending in 2K, 4.10 rear gear fluid changed in january, awd (brown wire mod though), stock 255 75 R16 tires, stock tune (will get custom tune once I have a chip), true dual 2.5" exhaust. K&n ordered today. Check engine light is on because the fuel pressure sensor is messed up and there is a crack in the plactic that the gas cap screws into. That stuff shouldn't affect the way the vehicle runs, it merely tells the computer it cant confirm a pressure reading. I'm not trying to steal your thread oddball101 I just wanted to know what I'm doing differently.

Not doing anything wrong really... maybe the exhaust kills you? Also speed at which you drive also affects mileage. I know stock I got 21mpg highway (4.10s, SOHC, 255s) Now with 265s I get close to 19. Mixed I get 16-18.5. Some people just get better mileage.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program:D

i have an '01 5.0 v8 and i love it. i also have an '01 4.0 SOHC v6 and the engine's a POS. funny thing is they both get pretty much the same fuel mileage. i've gotten as good as 22 hwy and 17 around town on the v8. i wouldn't own another v6. and the auto tranny's better in the v8's too.

My first gen with 3.27 gears got 22 on average and 24 at its best. My current truck is a 5.0, so 3.73s, and the 5.0s get pretty much the same fuel economy as the 4.0, despite the AWD. I only use unleaded without ethanol, and that is probably where most of your problem is. Ethanol hurts fuel economy, and there aren't many states that you can get REGULAR gasoline anymore. Your exhaust is oversized too, so you are losing a little bit with that, and that CEL will hurt mileage. My explorer isn't really stock though... You can't really use mine for a basis for comparison. Plus, I've put much more money into it than I will get back from fuel savings.

I have a friend with 2000 4.0 with 4.10s who consistently gets 18, so it isn't just you... Another guy down the street from me has a V8 explorer, and his gets a hair over 19 usually.

I don't know about the exhaust killing me because I at least still have the cats in and I think I actually gained 1 or 2 mpg. when I did it, it flows SO much better. And I constantly monitor my mpg, the CEL hasn't changed anything so far. If we are talking a matter of 10km then who gives a darn. But yes yall are right, some people just get better mileage. And yes, the SOHC may have power, but it is definitely a POS motor.

As sport said: "back to our regular programming"
Oddball101 what was your decision on the 5.0 swap?

I don't know about the exhaust killing me because I at least still have the cats in and I think I actually gained 1 or 2 mpg. when I did it, it flows SO much better. And I constantly monitor my mpg, the CEL hasn't changed anything so far. If we are talking a matter of 10km then who gives a darn. But yes yall are right, some people just get better mileage. And yes, the SOHC may have power, but it is definitely a POS motor.

As sport said: "back to our regular programming"
Oddball101 what was your decision on the 5.0 swap?

When i drive hwy, using cruise control at about 60-65 mph, my 2WD 5.0 w/3.73 gears easily gets 22 mpg. i've even seem my avr go into the mid 23's on occasion. right now with the a/c off i'm getting 17 around town. i haven't tried hwy with the a/c off yet. only mod i have is K&N air filter and i fresh tune. now, it's pretty flat on hwy where i live, but around town is quite hilly but not much traffic. i use the cheapest regular unleaded fuel if can fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, as of 2002 (3rd gen) Ford fixed all of the SOHC timing chain issues by updating the hydraulic tensioners and putting metal backing onto the guides. So if you can find a complete engine from a 2002 plus all the wiring you will be set and not have to worry about timing issues.

Not true. Ford attempted to fix it in 02 but didnt completely fix it. In 05, the issue was finally taken care of completely. I see many 02-04 SOHC Explorer/Ranger's with blown engines due to timing chains going.

Back