2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally today the regional CSM called and said that Ford will provide a rental car for me for 10 days. At the end of the 10 day period they (Ford) will review my case and see how soon the part should arrive. Our car has been in the shop now for going on 3 weeks, so I'm glad Ford is stepping up and handling this.

Chris

Well it's been 10 days and my case was supposed to be reviewed by Ford yesterday. Still haven't heard anything, and still driving the rental. The Explorer has been in the shop for almost a month now. We went almost 3 weeks with no rental/loaner, thank God Ford finally got us one.
Last I heard, the rack goes off back order on 11/19/2012. Thats still a long way from now, hope something happens soon.

I'll keep you updated.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't understand some of the dealers out there. If the car is unsafe to drive and under warranty why they even question not supplying a rental car for no charge. Glad the Ford dealers I work with in Minneapolis have been so good so far.

I dont know either, but my dealer flat out told me that they could not give a loaner/rental unless I had an ESP. I just got a stupid blank stare from them when I asked "why would I buy an extended warranty when the factory warranty isn't up yet? After the factory warranty runs out, I may purchase an extended one."

Finally after too many unnecessary conversations about the subject and after Ford told me that it was up to the dealer to provide a loaner/rental, Ford yes FORD provided a loaner/rental. Explain that one to me.

Ford: Oh no we can't give you a rental....its strictly up to the dealer.

Me: Well the dealer said it's up to Ford unless I buy an ESP, so wtf is going on?

Ford: I'll look into it.

next day

Ford: I have secured a rental for you at Enterprise rentals.

Me: really? You couldn't do that yesterday. What changed? A big corporate meeting concerning rental car procedures? Or maybe you just fed me a big lump of BS yesterday. f'n ridiculous.....

Sorry for the rant, but needless to say my patience low and frustration is high.

Chris

KCCO

Going on 2 months now with car at dealer waiting for Steering Part. They are making Explorers every day. Why not send those steering modules to the dealers???

What is Upper Management thinking????????????????????

Going on 2 months now with car at dealer waiting for Steering Part. They are making Explorers every day. Why not send those steering modules to the dealers???

What is Upper Management thinking????????????????????

They are thinking "we cant stop production for cars that are already sold".

Here in Virginia 30 days out of service is a lemon law issue! I would check into your states lemon law statutes!

Here is part of the Minnesota Law.

The law considers a “reasonable number of attempts” to be any one of the following:

Four or more unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect; or,
One unsuccessful attempt to repair a defect which has caused the complete failure of the steering or braking system and which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury; or,
A car which has been out of service due to warranty repairs for 30 or more cumulative business days.

In each case the initial defect must occur within the warranty period, or two years, whichever comes first, but the manufacturer’s repair attempts may extend to the end of the third year. Even if you do not meet one of the above categories, you may still have a lemon law claim, but it will be harder to prove.

I contacted the Better Business Bureau’s Arbitration Program at 1-800-955-5100 yesterday and started the paperwork.

Search Your State Name Lemon Car Law that is how i found it.

2011 Explorer Power steering problems

I recently took my Explorer into the shop to get my power steering fixed. I was a little perplexed because I have 8300 miles on my vehicle. The issues started around 5000 miles and it seemed to only occur when my wife was driving. Several times the steering locked up on her while she was driving. Finally the restarting of the vehicle did not work any longer. That is when I took it in. The mechanic contacted me today and said it was because I was in an accident. I do have some paint scratches however I am not clear how that could be considered a vehicular accident. Also if that is all it takes to damage the power steering system this car is in a world of trouble. Again I was puzzled because neither me nor my wife have had a vehicular accident. After doing my research prior to bringing the vehicle in I noticed that if this system overheats it will shut down and display a warning sign. Today I searched online because it took these guys a week to do nothing but update the My Touch and PCM reprogram. I was told they had to order the part for the car. After reading some posts on this forum I am not sure that this can even be fixed. I can muscle the car, however my wife cannot. We only have one vehicle and this is a headache. I have been reduced to taking a taxi to work! I am very disappointed especially since I convinced my younger sister how pleased I "was" with the explorer, and she went out and bought one to pull her motorcycle.

I recently took my Explorer into the shop to get my power steering fixed. I was a little perplexed because I have 8300 miles on my vehicle. The issues started around 5000 miles and it seemed to only occur when my wife was driving. Several times the steering locked up on her while she was driving. Finally the restarting of the vehicle did not work any longer. That is when I took it in. The mechanic contacted me today and said it was because I was in an accident. I do have some paint scratches however I am not clear how that could be considered a vehicular accident. Also if that is all it takes to damage the power steering system this car is in a world of trouble. Again I was puzzled because neither me nor my wife have had a vehicular accident. After doing my research prior to bringing the vehicle in I noticed that if this system overheats it will shut down and display a warning sign. Today I searched online because it took these guys a week to do nothing but update the My Touch and PCM reprogram. I was told they had to order the part for the car. After reading some posts on this forum I am not sure that this can even be fixed. I can muscle the car, however my wife cannot. We only have one vehicle and this is a headache. I have been reduced to taking a taxi to work! I am very disappointed especially since I convinced my younger sister how pleased I "was" with the explorer, and she went out and bought one to pull her motorcycle.
Welcome to the Forum Vaughnw.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about the 'steering' issue. This seems to be happening more and more once the 2011 models get some mileage built up on them. You have quite a bit of company on this forum. I keep hearing parts are back ordered to November but yet there are some members that are getting replacement parts within a week or two. The factory has found and corrected a few manufacturing shortcomings on the affected parts.
In my opinion it is a great vehicle and I have only had a sensor failure and the TSB on the 'random windshield wipe' done.
If the dealer has your vehicle, you should get them to provide you with a free rental until the Ex is repaired.
Good luck.

Peter

Day 11: Oct 2 Update

Just an updated on my Explorer that was taken to the dealership on 9/21 with the power steering issue:

I called today and they said the part is still on back order. Service Advisor said someone else came in with the same issue and they have their parts rep & Ford corporate involved in the search for 2 parts.

The advisor told me he's going to let me keep the rental car until the part does come in so that's a relief.

My initial disgust with the situation has turned to pleased with the way my dealership is handling the situation. They can't help the issue; they can only remedy the situation and I'll give them credit for providing me with a rental car & keeping me posted on the status of the part.

So after 2 months and 3 rental cars. The dealer has finally gotten the Steering Module. The Explorer is back on the road. I got my fingers crossed. I would have to say Thanks to Cory and Erin the Regional CSM for helping out in this long drawn out process. But I still think that Ford should do a recall on all 2011 an 2012 Explorers.

Hey guys,

If you missed my earlier post, I’m escalating cases up to your regional Customer Service Managers. So I can help, please send me a PM with your contact information (including dealer name/state, VIN, and approximate mileage).

...I would have to say Thanks to Cory and Erin the Regional CSM for helping out in this long drawn out process...
You’re welcome, EVERONWARD. :thumbsup:

Cory

I think Cory missed the next sentence in his flowery quote so allow me to highlight this last sentence:

BUT I STILL THINK FORD SHOULD DO A RECALL ON ALL 2011 AND 2012 EXPLORERS.

Why don't you stop being an a$$hole towards Cory. He attempts to help everyone. Just because upper management didn't help you, doesn't reflect back at Cory. He ATTEMPTS to get it in the right hands and does an incredible job at that. It is then up to that dept to handle the concern. If Cory is told not to give contact details, you better damn believe that is exactly what he is going to follow. He will not risk his job and that is 100% understandable.

If you want to reach the upper CS/management, file a BBB complaint. That always goes to one of the highest levels of CS within corporations.

Cory, what "rules" are you following?...
There’s an escalation process in place I need to follow, broncoford.

...He attempts to help everyone. Just because upper management didn't help you, doesn't reflect back at Cory...
I really appreciate the kind words, blwnsmoke.

Cory

Picked up my 2013 300A on Monday. Yesterday my wife started it and had the Power Steering Failure Warning on the display. She tried to back it out of the driveway anyway and couldn't. She restarted it at the end of the driveway and it's been fine since. Had 45 miles on it with the first warning. Only up to 70 now.

Has this also been a problem on the 2013s?

Picked up my 2013 300A on Monday. Yesterday my wife started it and had the Power Steering Failure Warning on the display. She tried to back it out of the driveway anyway and couldn't. She restarted it at the end of the driveway and it's been fine since. Had 45 miles on it with the first warning. Only up to 70 now.

Are you kidding? The 2013 STILL have this problem?

My 2011 has been in the dealer since sept. 20 to resolve the power assist failure. Though my car is still at the dealer they keep me posted weekly as to the status; Waiting for steering rack on back order. They have provided me with a free loaner,
until the job is done. This is fine with me because I get to use a free car and keep
the miles off mine! on a positive note.

please tell me you made a typo when writing the year. by 2013 you were referring to 2011 right? :D

Question to fellow forum members: How many OTHER Ford / Lincoln models use this exact same EPAS unit and is the bovine excrement hitting the rotary oscillator in those models like in our Explorers ???
I believe other manufacturers are now using electric PS as opposed to hydraulics, how about THEM?

Hmmmmm ??? !!!

I hope this problem does not continue into the 2013 models. BTW... in an earlier post of mine I noted that my "steering rack" was replaced--it was actually the "steering gear assembly"---not sure if that includes the steering rack. Anyone know ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Issue #2 last night. Used the remote start, hopped in, pressed the brake, hit the start button, power steering alarm was up on the display. Could barely turn the wheel. I gave it about 10 seconds to see if it would 'fix itself'. Restarted and everything was fine. Mileage at 145.

Looks like an appointment is in order for tomorrow.

Back