2003 Explorer replaced IAC Valve now loud humming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer replaced IAC Valve now loud humming

clspruiell

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Last week my 4.6L Explorer began idling very rough and finally would die. I pulled into an Express Oil change where they replaced the Idle Air Control Valve. It cost almost $200.

Well today, at idle I began getting a bad hum / rumble from the air intake. Sounds like a blower.

I have read other threads, but they all seem to said the IACV is bad, but I just replaced it.

It also has a new air filter from Express.

A car guy around here mentioned it could be the throttle body could be gunked up and that should always be done when replacing the IACV.

Ideas about what this could be and how much it might cost?? Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace the IAC with a motorcraft one only. I used a Borg Warner one and it did the same thing, annoying loud humming noise from the intake. I compared the old to the new and the new BWD one was different on the inside air path. It must have been causing the air turbulence/humming noise.

Yup, if it has a fog horn like sound to it then they either installed a cheap IAC or the wrong one.

Update... I had express replace with the same part, within 5 seconds, humming again. So we got advanced to bring us another brand (idk which brand) and its been working well for a day and a half.

The ONLY thing I see is sometimes it'll bog down to around 500 rpms while sitting still. It's usually quick to correct itself, but acts like it wants to do the same thing. That does not happen every time I stop at a redlight, just sometimes.

Motorcraft is the ONLY way to go, IMHO. I have tried others and they do not work as well.

Back