Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS

Justyman87

2011 Ford Explorer Owner!
Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I know there is an issue with the tire pressure warning system going off after it pours out and the fix is to put air in all the tires just to get the system to reset. My issue is that the system didn’t reset when I put in air today. Is there anything else I can do or do I have to go to service… again?
- Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the tire warning and put some air in the tires. Then the warning came back later and after further review. I found a screw/nail in the tire. Two weeks later, the warning came back and another nail in the same tire. Had to tell the Wifey to stop driving it off the paved roads. :D

I had the tire pressure warning on the first cool morning here in Missouri. I checked the pressure in my tires and sure enough all four were around 28 Lbs. I went to the service station, put air in, drove a bit and the warning went away. I assume that is how the system is supposed to work.

Had the tire warning and put some air in the tires. Then the warning came back later and after further review. I found a screw/nail in the tire. Two weeks later, the warning came back and another nail in the same tire. Had to tell the Wifey to stop driving it off the paved roads. :D
I am going to inspect the tires again but there is no sign of losing air, no slow leak and I didn’t hit anything for sure while driving. Also the car doesn’t pull to a side as if there is a slow leak. Even if it was a leak I would still have to go to service, thankfully there is one in my town.

I had the tire pressure warning on the first cool morning here in Missouri. I checked the pressure in my tires and sure enough all four were around 28 Lbs. I went to the service station, put air in, drove a bit and the warning went away. I assume that is how the system is supposed to work.
I would assume so as well but sure enough mine didn’t go away. I even had it on the parkway today to head towards the mall.
- Justin

I know there is an issue with the tire pressure warning system going off after it pours out and the fix is to put air in all the tires just to get the system to reset. My issue is that the system didn’t reset when I put in air today. Is there anything else I can do or do I have to go to service… again?
- Justin
Hey Justin. While I haven't had this problem, I don't see why a 'reset' is necessary. The sensor sends the signal to a receiver. Driving through heavy rain/water could interfere with that signal momentarily but communications should retore on its own as others have experienced.

Peter

check your spare tire.

figured there would be a full size spare.. I hate those donuts

Hey Justin. While I haven't had this problem, I don't see why a 'reset' is necessary. The sensor sends the signal to a receiver. Driving through heavy rain/water could interfere with that signal momentarily but communications should retore on its own as others have experienced.

Peter

I didn’t even go through heavy water and even if the heavy rain hit my sensor I think it would of cleared up by now. Also let’s say they actually where low on air… after putting air in the tires today shouldn’t it gone off. Anyone know the PSI that the tires should be at? I am curious and would like to check to see if I have a leak.
- Justin

I didn’t even go through heavy water and even if the heavy rain hit my sensor I think it would of cleared up by now. Also let’s say they actually where low on air… after putting air in the tires today shouldn’t it gone off. Anyone know the PSI that the tires should be at? I am curious and would like to check to see if I have a leak.
- Justin
35 psi. I believe that info is shown on the driver's side frame.
If evrything looks good, perhaps the dealer can check to see if all 4 sensors are actually working. Maybe one is faulty. Since the sensor is inside the tire, there is no way the rain can come in contact with it.

Peter

Thanks for the information… just came back from filling up the tires with air again and will check tomorrow for any leaks or computer issues. So far it seems fine but I will see.
- Justin

TPMS is a royal PIA

Greetings, I have recently gotten the pressure warning on my 2012 Limited. Checked the pressure on a tires and 1 tire is at 27psi, three are at 37psi... Don't think that this would cause the warning signal to be prompted.

We have been through some rough winters out here ant thought it was the problem, But now it's warmer and still having this warning go off.

Should I bring all the psi down to 35 on all 4's?, could it be a bad sensor? Is there a way for me to reset the warning?

Thanks in advanced!

Robert

Greetings, I have recently gotten the pressure warning on my 2012 Limited. Checked the pressure on a tires and 1 tire is at 27psi, three are at 37psi... Don't think that this would cause the warning signal to be prompted.

We have been through some rough winters out here ant thought it was the problem, But now it's warmer and still having this warning go off.

Should I bring all the psi down to 35 on all 4's?, could it be a bad sensor? Is there a way for me to reset the warning?

Thanks in advanced!

Robert
Robert, if it was a bad sensor, the TPMS warning icon would be flashing. In your case I believe it is definitely caused by the tire that is reading 27 psi. If you brought it up to 37 like the others, the light should go out (reset) after a short period of driving time. Or, you can bring them all down to the recommended 35 psi. As long as they are all fairly equal, you shouldn't have a problem.

Peter

While I too LOATH the gooberment mandated tpms (assuming we can't be trusted to do it ourselves !!!)

it does serve a purpose... actually on the phone with the marketing staff now and asking :) will let u know....

Sorry, correction.. I had 1 tire with37psi and 3 with 38psi (not sure why or how I typed the incorrect numbers previously).

Should I maybe drop them all to 35psi and run the vehicle for a while?

Robert

Out of curiosity, no quick reset options like a button or an option on the screen menu?

Sorry, correction.. I had 1 tire with37psi and 3 with 38psi (not sure why or how I typed the incorrect numbers previously).

Should I maybe drop them all to 35psi and run the vehicle for a while?

Robert
Given your revised numbers, I don't see that this would have caused the TPMS warning light to come on. There are members who run their pressures higher than the manufacturer's recommended numbers saying that it increases gas mileage somewhat. I, for one, stick with the tire psi that is recommended for the vehicle by the manufacturer.
According to an episode of Motorweek I watched, the info on TPMS given was that the warning light will come on if the tire psi drops by 25% of the recommended pressure or goes over 30%. The Owner's Guide itself says the difference has to be significant.
The ultimate psi decision is yours, Robert. But, like I said This situation shouldn't have caused the TPMS warning to come on. You can try putting them all at 35 psi and see if the light turns off a period of driving. If it stays on, a dealer visit may be in order.
Good luck.

Peter

Out of curiosity, no quick reset options like a button or an option on the screen menu?
Nope. That would be too easy. If the pressure problem is corrected then the light should turn off after a period of driving since the sensors will no longer indicate a pressure problem.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. That would be too easy. If the pressure problem is corrected then the light should turn off after a period of driving since the sensors will no longer indicate a pressure problem.

Peter

Much Appreciated Peter! Wondering if this part would still be under warranty, thoughts?

Back