2002 4x4 problems | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

I have, did it just the way the owner's manual instructs. The indicator light on the button flashes for several seconds then remains off and the dash light doesn't engage in the least, save for the initial ignition. The flashing on the button is much like how it is described in the manual when its waiting for operator input.

In short, picking the low button in neutral with the break depressed yields the same result as picking it in any other driving condition.

thoughts?
Mmmm... I'm not an expert, just had to replace my own 4x4 control module because local (Australia) dealer couldn't! Just been out to test mine again and:

1) turn on ignition - 4x4 high & 4x4 low lights in dash come on briefly
2) gear in neutral and foot firmly on brake, press button, flashes a bit and then stops and 4x4 low light stays on.

Doesn't matter whether engine is started or not.

If that doesn't work for you then it could be something to do with the transfer case switch maybe? There is plenty of info on this site.

Good luck :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have, did it just the way the owner's manual instructs. The indicator light on the button flashes for several seconds then remains off and the dash light doesn't engage in the least, save for the initial ignition. The flashing on the button is much like how it is described in the manual when its waiting for operator input.

In short, picking the low button in neutral with the break depressed yields the same result as picking it in any other driving condition.

thoughts?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

When I was having problems with my 4x4 I changed the module & the dash switch and still had nothing. It turned out to be the ground on the t-case shift motor. It's worth a shot to check it out!

Sorry but I don't have any info about the ground. I had my mechanic check it out one day when he had it on the lift. He found a bad ground and repaired it and all is well.

Here are a couple of pics of the transfer case shift motor from my shop manual. Hopefully it will help:

TransferCase-1Custom.jpg

TransferCase-2Custom.jpg

Worth a shot to check out. Good Luck. :D:thumbsup:

Toshack & Bigrondo,

Thanks for the heads up, I'm almost convinced its a mechanical problem. I'm going to have a look at it this weekend while I install a 1.5" body lift to it. Thanks again, will post results when they develop.

OK. So looking on here I don't know which to go with. I have a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. It has the automatic 4WD and the buttons for 4Hi and 4Lo
Well my symptoms are that when you engage the 4WD it is still in 2WD. Without the motor running you can cycle through the 4WD and only hear noise going in and out of 4Lo. You don't hear anything if you try and put it in 4Hi and even in 4Lo you still are on 2WD. I don't know whether it my control module or a shift motor or solenoid gone bad or bad connection or what
I mean no lights flash or anything. It acts like it works right bit really doesn't work at all. Can anybody help me?

Have not been able to find a replacement electronic clutch for the transfer case or relevant info on replacing or repairing it.

Lots of great info here, thanks! I recently took ownership of a 2002 Explorer XLT AWD. At first when I pushed the 4H or 4L buttons nothing happened (no clicking, dash lights, and no AWD when driving in the rain, but plenty of wheel spin).

Based on this thread I checked the fuses (17&18 under the hood and the three under the dash) but those were all ok. I tried the battery reset, afterwards the 4H & 4L buttons would make the module click and would light their respective dash lights.

I pulled onto the street to try it out. Punched the gas on wet pavement and nothing but wheel spin. I stopped and threw it in neutral to try and get 4H or 4L, but got no response from the buttons. I turned it off and re-started a few times and retried but still nothing. However when I got it back into the driveway I turned the truck off then on and tried the buttons again. Each button causes a module click and illuminates the expected lights on the dash, though I didn't try to drive it again.

Any ideas?

totally confused about 4x4 failure

Hello All:
I have tried many things and am still having issues with my 4x4 not engaging. I have read through about 90% of the posts and would really appreciate any info you guys can give me. So here is my story:

1. 4x4 worked wonderfully for about 6 years into ownership of the truck. I was more than happy and pleased.
2. Bad snow storm hit 2 years ago...I discovered that I had 2 wheel drive only and got stuck. Needless to say, being stuck in NYC during a snow storm can be a terrible experience. So, after having parked the truck in the same spot where it was stuck, I was less than happy and wanted it fixed.
3. I read the forums and there were suggestions that it may be the transfer case motor. I went out and found a working one at a salvage yard. I paid 200 to have it installed because I don't have a lift nor a spot to work on my truck safely. The motor was changed and like a kid at Christmas, I pressed the 4x4 button and nothing happened.
4. I read some more and it was suggested that it may be the 4x4 control module. I bought one from Rock Auto. It looked like the right part and even plugged into the wiring harnesses correctly. However, when I started the truck, the 4x4 low light started blinking. I though that it was a good sign. Sadly, as soon as I pressed the brake fuse number 23 blew, and locked out the shifter. I took the truck to Autozone and they "worked" on the truck. So $175 later, they said that they had no idea.
5. I removed the new module and plugged in the old one. When I did that, I noticed that the 4x4 lights on the instrument cluster lit up and the truck was able to be driven. I pressed the brake shifted into drive and off I went in 2 wheel mode.
6. When I press the 4x4 high button, the 4x4 light illuminates on the instrument cluster, but 4x4 does not engage. When I press 4x4 low, the light on the 4x4 low button blinks.

After the 4x4 light illuminates on the cluster, it stays on for about 2 minutes, then turns off. I am sure it is because the truck does not actually go into 4x4 mode.

7. I have spent 2600 on an engine rebuild and 2000 on a tranny rebuild about 3000 miles ago. The truck runs awesome and I am really happy with it, I just want the 4x4 to work.

Any help would be really appreciated. BTW the module I got from Rock Auto did not cause the 4x4 lights on the cluster to come on...all it did was blow fuses. So, I am guessing I lost 200 on that part, oh well.

You can email me if you have followup questions.
:mad:
Thanks in advance.

Hello All:
I have tried many things and am still having issues with my 4x4 not engaging. I have read through about 90% of the posts and would really appreciate any info you guys can give me. So here is my story:

1. 4x4 worked wonderfully for about 6 years into ownership of the truck. I was more than happy and pleased.
2. Bad snow storm hit 2 years ago...I discovered that I had 2 wheel drive only and got stuck. Needless to say, being stuck in NYC during a snow storm can be a terrible experience. So, after having parked the truck in the same spot where it was stuck, I was less than happy and wanted it fixed.
3. I read the forums and there were suggestions that it may be the transfer case motor. I went out and found a working one at a salvage yard. I paid 200 to have it installed because I don't have a lift nor a spot to work on my truck safely. The motor was changed and like a kid at Christmas, I pressed the 4x4 button and nothing happened.
4. I read some more and it was suggested that it may be the 4x4 control module. I bought one from Rock Auto. It looked like the right part and even plugged into the wiring harnesses correctly. However, when I started the truck, the 4x4 low light started blinking. I though that it was a good sign. Sadly, as soon as I pressed the brake fuse number 23 blew, and locked out the shifter. I took the truck to Autozone and they "worked" on the truck. So $175 later, they said that they had no idea.
5. I removed the new module and plugged in the old one. When I did that, I noticed that the 4x4 lights on the instrument cluster lit up and the truck was able to be driven. I pressed the brake shifted into drive and off I went in 2 wheel mode.
6. When I press the 4x4 high button, the 4x4 light illuminates on the instrument cluster, but 4x4 does not engage. When I press 4x4 low, the light on the 4x4 low button blinks.

After the 4x4 light illuminates on the cluster, it stays on for about 2 minutes, then turns off. I am sure it is because the truck does not actually go into 4x4 mode.

7. I have spent 2600 on an engine rebuild and 2000 on a tranny rebuild about 3000 miles ago. The truck runs awesome and I am really happy with it, I just want the 4x4 to work.

Any help would be really appreciated. BTW the module I got from Rock Auto did not cause the 4x4 lights on the cluster to come on...all it did was blow fuses. So, I am guessing I lost 200 on that part, oh well.

You can email me if you have followup questions.
:mad:
Thanks in advance.

The 4x4 Control Module is VIN specific. The module from Rock Auto was the incorrect module, that's why it blew the fuse for the brake lights. Ask mr how I know this. :p:

Try going to www.silverstatefordparts.com and giving them your VIN, that way they will be sure to get you the correct part.

Good luck getting it sorted and be sure to keep us posted.

Just a couple images and annotations to those with less experience, like myself.

After having acquired the replacement control module, which is well documented in this thread:

1. Remove the glove box as shown
1.jpg

2. Locate the module attached to the blower via a single bolt bracket. The two connector plugs are on the bottom and are easily removed by hand.
2.jpg

3. Removing the module is made much simpler by taking the bracket off first, as shown, then removing the module from the bracket.
3.jpg

4. Installation is quite simple. Insert the plugs, attach module to the bracket, then install the bracket to blower motor.

Other thoughts.

I lived without the 4WD working for a couple years and will promptly change the appropriate fluids as they are undoubtedly nasty.

Make sure your part vendor has your VIN to aid you in buying the proper module.

Lastly, I always disconnect the battery when doing this type of work.

Hope this helps!

Welcome aboard the_target!! :salute:

Nice job. :thumbsup:

This was long overdue. This should help out a bunch of people since winter is on the way!!

My 2002 Explorer Limited suddenly had no 4x4, auto, 4L nor 4H. Dash idiot lites only on start up showed 4L but would not engage with it in N and brake depressed. Went to the local mechanic (don't have a Ford dealer in town anymore) He had no idea what to do. I came home yesterday and OF COURSE came on here! Researched all the postings here.

Was encouraged I could find the problem. Went and picked up the 2/ 20A fuses for under the hood, they looked good but I changed them out anyway. VIOLA!!!! I now have Auto, 4H and 4L!

Gonna have someone check them out with a meter, but visually they were intact. (p.s. did not d/c the battery to change them out AND Battery a couple weeks ago would not start up vehicle, hadn't used it much more than short couple miles to downtown in the last months and temps had dropped. Put the charger on for bout an hour and was back in business, am thinking this may have been a factor This was the first time since then that I needed the 4x4 - ice and snow)

THANKYOU ALL, for giving me the skinny on how to accomplish this! Ford garage 50 miles away wanted me to bring it in for their computer hook up, then order parts and again return to have them installed! Service Dept said IT COULD NOT BE the fuses!!! ;>)

Here is the update folks...took the advice from here and bought a new control module, and guess what? I have 4x4 again. THANK YOU so much for the advice. I do have a follow up question though, is it normal to hear a whine when you turn? I am thinking I need to get grease put somewhere...just dont know where. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks again everyone.

Here is the update folks...took the advice from here and bought a new control module, and guess what? I have 4x4 again. THANK YOU so much for the advice. I do have a follow up question though, is it normal to hear a whine when you turn? I am thinking I need to get grease put somewhere...just dont know where. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks again everyone.

Nice job getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

The noise could be almost anything. How's your power sterring fluid?

Check the wheel bearings, ball joints, suspension, steering system.

4x4 not working

hello i also have 4wd issues i have read a lot of threads about 4wd not working and have not found the same symptoms as mine. my lights on the dash come on when first started[never blink] and when selected on dash. shift motor engages when 4x4 low is slected and you can hear and feel clicking in the 4x4 module and still no 4wd hi or low i have checked all fuses and replaced both hall sensors in transfer case and added a new ground wire just in case could this be the module or maybe the clutch in the transfercase any help/advice would be very appreciated thank you

Was encouraged I could find the problem. Went and picked up the 2/ 20A fuses for under the hood, they looked good but I changed them out anyway. VIOLA!!!! I now have Auto, 4H and 4L!

Gonna have someone check them out with a meter, but visually they were intact.

I'd guess that pulling the fuses cut power to the module and gave it a reset. I was getting nothing when pushing the dash buttons, but after disconnecting the battery I get a dash light when pushing buttons (but still no 4wd for me!).

Glad your fix was easy!

hello i also have 4wd issues i have read a lot of threads about 4wd not working and have not found the same symptoms as mine. my lights on the dash come on when first started[never blink] and when selected on dash. shift motor engages when 4x4 low is slected and you can hear and feel clicking in the 4x4 module and still no 4wd hi or low i have checked all fuses and replaced both hall sensors in transfer case and added a new ground wire just in case could this be the module or maybe the clutch in the transfercase any help/advice would be very appreciated thank you

Are you getting power to the wire that engages the clutch? I think you've ruled out most things aside from the module or clutch. Good luck!

Did you give a try to replacing those 2 20 amp fuses?
Certainly worth a try if you have not. Mine looked fine, but changed them out anyway.

I am certainly a happy camper!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you i have checked all fuses in 4wd system but will recheck. would that be the brown wire? that goes into the t-case will need to check that should it be 12v thanks again

Back