2002-05 Positive feedback | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-05 Positive feedback

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Tracker
Ok, I've been looking here for a while. I see a lot of posts about Transmission failures, wheel bearing failures, 4.0 V-6 timing chain failures, electrical problems. Body problems, Etc.

But, how many of you have had one of these trucks for a long period of time, put a lot of miles on them, and had no problems. I am really thinking about buying one, and am hoping that for every one problem 2002-05 Explorer, there are at least 3 or 4 good ones.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I've been looking here for a while. I see a lot of posts about Transmission failures, wheel bearing failures, 4.0 V-6 timing chain failures, electrical problems. Body problems, Etc.

But, how many of you have had one of these trucks for a long period of time, put a lot of miles on them, and had no problems. I am really thinking about buying one, and am hoping that for every one problem 2002-05 Explorer, there are at least 3 or 4 good ones.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.:D

Buy a 4.6 V8 and take care of it. Low mileage is preferred and try to get one with a 3.73 gear ratio to get it around. Then just take care of it and you'll be fine. I've had my 03 V8 for 5 years and put 100k on it with no real issues. A wheel bearing that I changed in an afternoon and routine stuff is about all I've had to change. I beat the hell out of it too....

I've got 125,000 on the dash. I've put about 95,000 on there my self. I love this truck but I will be honest. If you get the 4.6 the powertrain should be ok. But the small stuff will keep nagging at you and rack up cost if your not handy. Some problems are humming rear end, broken door wire harness, cd error on radio, climate control blend door. Most of the problems are easy fixes. I've had this truck for 8 years and it has never left me stranded and is pretty simple to fix most problems. In the sense of no special tools required and the parts are readily available.

I've had my 03 sport for almost 3 years now and have put about 50k in that time span and the odometers at about 90k now. Since ive gotten it ive done regular maintenance ritually and have only had serious repairs which were UCA, lower ball joints and sway bar links and bushings, and shocks all around but I could of gone another couple thousand miles but I really just wanted to upgrade my suspension a bit. No mechanical problems at all though, hopefully it will stay that way. It really just depends on how well you maintain it that matters IMO

That's good. Anyone have any good results with the 4.0? I was leaning towards a six.

I've had four 4.0L's and never had any issues with any of them.

:

:D That made me laugh. I'm noticing that there are a lot of V-6's on the market. If I find the right deal, I figured on getting one.

There is a reason there's a lot of them...

I guarantee there isn't one V6 owner who wouldn't go back and buy a V8 instead. Even if nothing has gone wrong with their 4.0, parts are more readily available for the V8.

go for the v8, and go for a 2004 or 2005. They are the most refined out of the 3rd gens. A lot of small changes were made between the years, but they really added up to a well built truck by 2005. If you can get your hands on a 2005 with v8, the 3.73 LSD, And 4x4, do it. MY truck made it to 144K miles whilest being driven like a race car.. literaly, i drive it like i stole it. be warned if you get a v8 that is 02-03 they are prone to firing spark plug blow outs due to a design flaw in fords cylender heads. This problem was fixed in 2004 and 2005 ford modulars.

Thanks for that. There doesn't seem to be too big a difference in mpg either.

That's good. Anyone have any good results with the 4.0? I was leaning towards a six.

I have been very pleased my 4.0L XLT, I'm at 168K miles and vehicle has been very reliable. I've been hit with a few problems, but the list is pretty short for a 10 year old vehicle.

70K miles: rear blend door in HVAC system (clicking noise)
110K miles: replaced wheel bearings
140K miles: replaced rear springs (one was broken)

Tires & brakes were also replaced at 75K and 150K miles. The original transmission has never been touched.

Parts are not that expensive on this model (as long as you don't care about brand name) and very much available locally or online. So if you are DIY type of a guy then it's a good truck to work on. If you want a shop to do the repairs then it's another story.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Hey Kevin, what year is yours?

Also, with the '04 and '05 did Ford fix any of the problems with the transmissions? Or are they the same as the '02 etc.

Hey Kevin, what year is yours?

Also, with the '04 and '05 did Ford fix any of the problems with the transmissions? Or are they the same as the '02 etc.

I have an '02 and from these forums it would appear I've been fortunate not to have any transmission issues with 168K miles. I don't know what improvements have been made in later model years.

When you say you havn't touched the trans, did you ever service it?

When you say you havn't touched the trans, did you ever service it?

It has never been serviced and still has the original fluid. If I could turn back time, I would have changed the fluid every 60K miles, but at this point it would probably do more harm than good (that is another long debate).

Since this transmission is sealed, Ford recommends that the fluid be changed at 150K miles. That is why it never came up until recently at the regular service intervals.

Just an FYI the transmission is not sealed, it has an open air breather hose that runs the top. I dont believe ford ever did update the transmissions, all of the 5r55 n/s/w's to this day dont have the servo bore pin fix, or the any of the valve body upgrades. the fact you made it to 160ish k miles is amazing. Most of these transmissions are rebuilt around 75-140k miles with out fail. Count your blessing bud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, you'd have thought that they'd learn from all the complaints. But then again, if people are still buying, why bother?

Back