• Register Today It's free!

welding on cooling fins

slickemhoundd

Reaction score
City, State
Glassboro, southern jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 5.0
I just stripped down my diff covers and I have plenty of plate steel. I'm putting in my rebuilt painted regeared axles Monday. So with the covers sitting here I was thinkin of welding on cooling fins to the stock covers. I was thinking of this to be different and possibly gain something from it. My front axles locked so I was hoping this could assist in the extra heat from extra rotating parts even while dissengauged. Any opinions on this, aside from buying an aftermarket cover? Soon enough they will be swapped out but interested in this route first

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive seen bolt on cooling fins on a Mercedes diff, they are there for a real reason

as long as you don't add enough to make them a point for a nice rock to hit :( i think you should be fine with your home-made heat sink :)

according to them the differential cooling fins could cool the differential by up to 15 degrees celsius when pushing the car at continuous high speeds

Well that's a pretty substantial for cooling capability. I've already made one addition to it. Could call it cram air on the risen side of the cover, so now ill go ahead ans put fins on it. Thefont is pretty much 80% protected so I'm not worried about that. The rear I may tinker with concidering ill likely pick up a new one soon

sounds good , here is a pic from the benz i was talking about

IMAG0071.jpg

oh jeez! I dont have enough to get that elaborate! Would be pretty neat tho

lol youd have to be a machine to do that just wanted to show y:eek:u what i was talking about just in case u wanted some reference

Back