Anyone tested the strength of their windshield? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone tested the strength of their windshield?

lexrid

Reaction score
City, State
Holly Springs, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
...I just did, not by choice however.

I just had a car blow past me in the left lane of the highway and run over a 2x4 that was apparently laying in the road. Said 2x4 flew up and made a direct hit with the windshield. Quite possibly the loudest thump I've ever heard. Impact was hard enough that it knocked the black cover right off of the sensor for the auto-sensing wipers. The best part of the story is that somehow the windshield didn't break...unbelievable. Some serious scuff marks and a few really deep gouges but no cracks. I'm guessing it has to do with the extra thickness that's added for the "Soundscreen".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're very lucky!

I hear ya. It must have hit flat rather than on the end like that video. That's the only thing I can think of that would have left the gouges and scuffs that it did and not shatter the windshield.

I already had my windshield replaced....a rock hit it along the passenger side corner and it cracked it...it eventually cracked all along the windshield......

Wow, the first thing that hit my windshield chipped it. This was within two weeks of taking delivery :(

I drove the Ex on Saturday morning. I was looking everything over again and noticed that the rear view mirror was off a little bit. When I grabbed it to move it, I noticed that it was separated. So, the impact on the windshield was so severe it separated the front and back half of the mirror. It all snapped back together pretty easily, so I don't think there's any issue. But wow, that 2x4 hit hard.

Also, my wife drove the Ex today in the rain and the rain sensing wipers worked fine so I think we're good to go, just have to deal with the gouges out of the glass for now.

Same here, had my windshield replaced cuz a rock hit the windshield at the very top near the rubber seal. It started near the rear view mirror then all across the driver side.......

I just tried throwing a brick through my windshield. The brick won....j/k

I do currently have a crack on my windshield. I was entering the freeway behind a truck filled with rocks and dirt. A little rock came up and hit my windshield. It left a small crack. So far, it hasn't gotten any worse.

Back