GPS for 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

logan.d122

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2002 ford explorer limited and I have been wanting to add an in-dash navigation system to it since last year. It now has the factory 6 disc cd changer head unit and I want to keep that fetaure. So I did some research and found out that the I can buy a ford factory gps from an '07-'10 explorer that has satalite radio, gps, and 6 disc cd changer. The only probelm is that I don't know if it will fit in my car, since it is on '02. I know that I will have to get the gps antenna and a new wiring harness. Has anyone ever done this, or something similar. Also, will the steering wheel controls still work on the radio if I change head units?

Thanks

It will not be a plug and play. You will have to modify the harness. I wanted the same thing but went with an aftermarket radio for a few reasons. For one I paid way less then what a factory radio costs. Two they supply more power and make you speakers sound better. Three I did not have to modify my wire harness. An adapter is available for radio and steering wheel controls. I kept the stock look sine many radios have a color changing screen. II also now have an ipod and aux input. I also here many big name companies are easier and cheaper to keep nav updated. Just my 2 cents. And you can keep your deck for a future vehicle since resale is usually better stock.

Keep this updated if you end up doing this please.

I have in-dash nav in my 03

I have a Chinese made head unit that has a 6 in touch screen ($400) and i have a tablet, a Samsung galaxy tab, and that plugs into the video input on the head unit. everything displayed on the tablet is also displayed on the HU, so i mounted the tablet on my console, and use the tablet for everything, and the HU as just well, a screen...

can you legally use a tablet while driving?

Back