Squealing when air or heat turned on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing when air or heat turned on

StricklandUSN

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT V6 FLEX
I had the belt tensioner and belt replaced a little over a year ago by shop down the street. It was fine until now during my cold starts or after its sit at least a few hours if you turn the air and or heat on it will squeal immediately or as I turn the wheel most the time it will I don't think this is a power steering issue because it make no sense why it comes with ac or heat usage and turning the wheel usually initiates it if it hasn't started right away then it will continue until I turn the ac or heat off and drive for about 5 mins or so then turn air or heat back on and it's gone wont do it again I thought of seeing how long it will squeal but I can't stand sounding like a hoopdie going down my street I tried it today for about a 2 blocks and it continued until I shut the air off. Sometimes you hear a clunk when you turn the air on especially if you on max air. There is a warranty for the work for 2 years or like 12000 miles which I'm still in but it's a busy shop and I don't have the time to be without a car while they take forever. The other work he did was work on the blend air door which I got a decent deal for all the work I got. But I'm looking at fixing this my self possibly I just wanna know where to start belt looks good not sure if it needs to be tightened up or what what are you guys thinking .

2004 exp xlt v6 flex fuel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try just spraying some belt dressing on the belt and make sure your pulleyes are clean. Im kind of suspecting your air compressor might be ready to take a dive.

The air compressor would cause these issues? What exactly does the air compressor do that would make it show these symptoms. I'm gunna try the belt dressing.when I drove the two block it was continuous pretty much if my foot was on gas

If the compressor is starting to seize up it will cause drag on the belt. If it seizes up all together you wont be able to drive your truck. I would definalty get that looked at. If it stops with the belt dressing then there may just be something up with your belt; ie some kind of fluid got on it or its got dust or dirt all thru the grooves.

Try accellerating in a straight line with the ac on and see what it sounds like. Then slow down and accellerate the same way with the ac off and see if its better.

Is the air compressor the pulley that's in the center on the bottom I seen a little wobble In That one but when u accelerate it looks better. Is there a thread for a self change out for that.? I can't afford the 500 dollar price for the shop to fix that assuming its like a 200 dollar part.

So as long as I don't run ac or heat it won't affect me right I need a few more pay checks to afford this fix I'm thinking your right though. Still gunna try the dressing but I wanna know some precautuions I can take in mean time to minimize risk to the car it's our only vehicle

I would try to not use the ac or heat. the compressor runs even with the heater running - the freon creates a dry air for defrosting. There is one setting for heat that does not run the compressor but I dont remember which setting it is. I just started a thread on it, ill let you know what is said about it. If the compressor is the problem, its easy to replace but to have it done propperly you would have to have a shop reclaim the freon, and recharge the sytem for it to work. At that point it would be worth it for a shop to just do it. Its a pain but thats the way it is with ac unfortunatly.

It would save you some money to buy the compressor from advanceautoparts.com and pick it up in store. They always have nice discounts available, I do this for everything and it saves a lot of $$. Keep in mind, I'm suggesting the compressor because thats the best of my knowledge. I would like to see others agree on it before you spend the money on it.

Advance auto parts price for rebuilt compressor ,accumulator , and oriface tube 240.19 plus tax ....it has free shipping thank god because there is no advance auto in San Diego. Plus they got a deal for 50 dollars off next 100 dollar order which is cool. I did not order it yet but seems reasonable its a Driveworks remanufactured compressor awaiting what you have to say from your thread I also am getting quotes from mobile mechanics for the labor since the shops rip us off here in San Diego especially military.

Mine did the same thing more than a month ago. I have to turn off heater/ac unit so that the compressor will not activate but is an issue if it rains (windshield gets fogged)

I have to replace the compressor, accumulator, condenser and orifice tube. Mine was seized that the orifice tube was full of metal shavings. If you have rear AC then the expansion valve is toast too. This job is labor extensive and should be done properly. You need to discharge the refrigerant, flush the lines, replace the items above, vacuum the system, make sure there's no leak and refill with refrigerant. If you have a shop do it it might take close above 1.5k or 2k.

I bought new parts from rockauto including the condenser, total was about 285 including shipping. They're all chinese brands (4 seasons) though..

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

It's wierd that it only does it on a cold start. It as soon as I turn it off it stops and like a few minutes later I can use ax or heat and its fine could it be a belt it's so loud I dunno how to describe it I poured a bit of water on the belt and it squealed but not the same squeal like in the morning or after work squeal I hear I can't really mimic the problem without leaving the car sit at the shop all night then having them start it up any more help insight or ideas are definitely welcome gunna get a bit colder here I don't want this going out and I ha e no heat or air for the family

If your AC is OK then it could be your pulley or clutch. It's actually cheaper to change the AC Clutch (comes with new pulley and bearings) than replacing the compressor. You still have to remove the AC compressor which somehow will make you decide that probably putting a new one is worth the effort.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

If your AC is OK then it could be your pulley or clutch. It's actually cheaper to change the AC Clutch (comes with new pulley and bearings) than replacing the compressor. You still have to remove the AC compressor which somehow will make you decide that probably putting a new one is worth the effort.

Thats cool, didnt know that was an option.

On the thread I started about the compressor running with the other selections, someone mentioned that in the winter they unplug the compressor all together. Good idea! See if it helps to do that.

ill check with my friend and give you a place that carries quality parts for pretty good price they also sell a whole kit for specific vehicles that i got everything ( compressor, evaporator, orifice, expansion valve) for less that advance would sell me a compressor. this was a couple of years ago on my old windstar but my buddy orders stuff from them all time and swears by them.

I would suggest you have a belt/tesioner issue....if turning the steering wheel initiates the squeal, then the belt is not at the proper tension. The a/c compressor is just another load on the FEAD belt & it too sounds as if it is slipping. The a/c compressor will activate in ONLY a/c mode or defrost mode.....heat (only) should not activate the compressor.
Start with the the simplest/cheapest items before you conclude it's something really expensive

If you find out its your ac compressor try calling Radiator Depot at 800- 723- 4286 all new parts not rebuilt. in 3 years of using these guys my mechanic said he has only had 1 that was bad and they overnighted a new one to him

I’m having a similar issue in a 2000 explorer 5.0. my ac clutch seized & shredded the belt & blew the rad, I had to go with an aftermarket rad & trans cooler mounted to the front of it. I also, & this is the intersting part, got a shorter serp belt & just bypassed the ac. I never use ac but always use the heat as I live in SK, Canada. I can start it up in the cold with the fan off & usually it doesn't squeal until the heat kicks on, but it also seems like my alternator is charging as much at it should. Ive tried belt spray, & have done all the work myself. I’ve been trying to fix it when I can afford to but it seems to never end

I just did the Harmonic Balancer on my 05 Explorer (That center bolt is a bear...), the belt still squeals and it seems that I will be replacing more parts.

Back