Seat heater

College Student

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
This will be the secondwinter without it im in love with the passenger seat because it is working over there but my bumm is cold, I lost the thread on checking it and troubleshoot repairing, , could anyone throw out advise or any ideas, or do you know what the stealership would cost

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This will be the secondwinter without it im in love with the passenger seat because it is working over there but my bumm is cold, I lost the thread on checking it and troubleshoot repairing, , could anyone throw out advise or any ideas, or do you know what the stealership would cost

Thanks in advance
I had the same problem with mine, I found a thread on here that had a simple fix that worked for me every since, hope this works for you ... pop the cap off very easily(plastic) then take a small rag and place under opening to catch the run off, take a can of wd-40 or penetrating oil and spray in the opening a few seconds, put the cap back in and push it on and off a dozen times . now try it. ( mine started working every since ) good luck.

Ok will do, test #1

Didn't work for me, my bum was still cold on the way to work. now time to check the circuits to see which if not both of my pads is broken

try swapping switches....
It might be a little involved, depending on the seat they come out rather easy.
Two handles pull off, Recline Knob and the lumber wheel.
Once the Lumber wheel is off look for two screws holding it on, they have to come off.
then three screws hold the trim piece on.
Then it should lift up and out.

alright on friday i'll have time to try

the switches do go bad on these cars. maybe see if someone has a switch to replace it with or try taking one from pas side to try on driver side.

So yesterday practising in the wind made the waves come over the boat so I was wet trying to stay warm in the car driving home. I want this to work again somehow so I tried the switching switches and nothing happened the passenger seat got warm again and Im still cold what is the next step of troubleshooting?

you might need a new heater pad in the seat.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...J-UJr9K4uk8QS3tIHIAg&ved=0CEUQ9QEwBQ&dur=4332

from entering the car so many times and moving around in the seat it would seem pretty easy to me to break one of the connections on this and cause it to not work. This happened on my explore before I sold it and i did all the check throughs that were on the forum and it ended up needing a new seat heater pad as listed above.

Will this replace just the bottom? So Id need 2 seat and back correct? Is it possible that if I bought multiple sets that a normal toggle switch could be used to add these to the rear seats as well?

I never replaced it in mine I sold it as is. I would take the seat apart and look at both of them, you could get lucky and just have a loose connection.

And the way that they are setup it looks like you would just be able to splice into the wires and wire it to a switch to be able to install anywhere.

Another thing to watch out for, according to my FSM, there was a change in '03 halfway.
Might want to check your build date.

'02 to Early '03 they employed a module, black box under the seat to control the heated seats. I'd expect 2 black boxes, one for seat memory/adjustments and the other would be for the heated seats. The pad on this one had more than 2 wires going to the pad. The box was a common failure for them.

Halfway through the year they just went to a switch. if its this type, the switch usually died first, then the pads. I remember there where only two wires going to each pad, someone found the broken one with an Ohm meter. My '04 only had the switch. Not sure when the cutoff was.

hmm so I'll have to figure out which I have great. To further elaborate the little green lights on the switch don't turn on, the AC controls screen shows them on just not the switches themselves.

i would take check voltage available to the switch first, if there is voltage then next spot to check is at the connector under the seat going to the pad, if there is voltage then its your pad for sure

If the lights don't show at the switch it could be theres no power getting to the switch. Its a long shot. But you said it lights up on the center stack which is interesting. I agree with MrBean and check the voltage throughout the circuit.

Anybody happen to know which of the like six wires at the switch is what?

1st of all there is an excellent utube vid on the internet that shows how to recover an Explorer seat. The seat is already out of the vehicle on a bench (4 bolts and disconnect the electrical). It shows very well how to take off the lumbar and tilt handles, the screw positions for the side cover and exposes the seat heater switch.

My passenger side switch (2004) is malfunctioning -- will not turn off so I know it needs replacing. I search here and found the Ford Part Number, bought one off of Fleabay ($38 plus $5 shipping) and it arrived last week. Looks simple enough. It did have a different vendor and part number than the Ford one but it is a FORD OEM from Airtex part number 1S9127. Hope it helps, and my passenger side Bum is not cooking anymore cause the switch works.

I've taken the seats apart in the past that isn't the difficult part the difficulty is finding out the fault in the system

Easy! if the other heated seat is working fine then u don't need a wiring diagram...I am no Ford Engineer, but check the driver's heated seat's circuit...at the switch to the driver heat pad, check which wire or pin it is that provides power and which one is ground...den do the same on the passenger's switch. Compare your voltage readings all the way to the connector under the seat. You should know which connector it is for the heat pad when you took your seat apart. Make sure the negative lead of your DMM is on a good ground when you check for voltage available. Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, thanks to the poster in this thread for the eBay switch source! The shop where I get my vehicles worked on found a neat and easy method to get the switch out, took all of about 2 -3 seconds, no damage. The switch is held in place via two clips, so Mike the Mechanic gets two fairly stiff pieces of plastic, and top and bottom of the switch, inserts the the plastic pieces and then uses them to pull the old switch out. The new switch works like a charm, i.e., not on constantly.

Back