DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
Hey everyone,

Before you leave because it's a long post, please see if you can help me with ANY of these problems.

I didn't want to make 15 separate threads..

Alright, so, to begin, I own a 1997 Ford Explorer XL 4.0L OHV w/ Control Trac 4x4.

So, my questions are:

- My ABS light has been on for a long time, I scanned it and it's the front left sensor. The hub is still fine, is there a way to fix the sensor? I read there isn't because it's the auto locking 4x4 hub, but then found some people have managed to do it..

- My Ex didn't come with keyless entry. Is it possible to just add in a used RAP module in the back if I pull it off another Ex? I'd love to have the keyless entry/alarm feature..

- It also didn't come with the factory sub, but if I pull one from another Ex, would it be easy to install? (Factory sub box, aftermarket sub)

- The door in the Ex is pushed in, but I have another thread about that..

- There's a clanking noise coming from under the trunk. A metal on metal sound. It usually happens when driving on bumpy roads and you can only hear it if the windows open. It sounds as if it's coming from the rear/under the trunk. Any ideas what this might be?

- Driver's window goes down very slowly, I think it just needs grease, but it could be something else?

- It's starting to rust around the gas filler area, right above the door and above the rear wheel wells. What's the best way to stop/fix this without too much physical damage to the paint..

That's all I can think of for now. If I get anything else, I'll be sure to add it.

Thank you all.

- Dom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just took a look at www.rockauto.com and they show a replacement front sensor for a 97 AWD and 4X4. Various manufacturers available.

I'd think adding keyless entry would be a big job due to differences in the wiring harness.

I had the same problem with my driver's window. I just took the interior panel off, ran the window up and down, and sprayed anything that moved with a can of white lithium grease. The same grease you use on door hinges, etc. That fixed the problem.

I'm not a bodywork guy but I'm sure you'd have to sand down the rusted areas to bare metal, prime, and repaint.

Noise from the rear? Loose exhaust, broken exhaust hanger, spare tire not securely fastened, sway bar bushings? I'd suggest just get under there and start grabbing and shaking things until you find the noise.

I just took a look at www.rockauto.com and they show a replacement front sensor for a 97 AWD and 4X4. Various manufacturers available.

I'd think adding keyless entry would be a big job due to differences in the wiring harness.

I had the same problem with my driver's window. I just took the interior panel off, ran the window up and down, and sprayed anything that moved with a can of white lithium grease. The same grease you use on door hinges, etc. That fixed the problem.

I'm not a bodywork guy but I'm sure you'd have to sand down the rusted areas to bare metal, prime, and repaint.

Noise from the rear? Loose exhaust, broken exhaust hanger, spare tire not securely fastened, sway bar bushings? I'd suggest just get under there and start grabbing and shaking things until you find the noise.

I'm not sure about the 4x4 sensor, since it's built into the front hub.

The rust, I really want to fix it, but it'd require repainting it, and I can never find the right paint color for my ex, even at the dealer. (Special order paint?)

And, I did go under the truck a while ago and was grabbing things. Nothing rattled. My muffler is going bad, but it's not loose, just a hole somewhere in it.

Thanks for the reply.

Dom, i it were me, i would pull the spare to see if rust has created that clank your unsure of... Especially with the mention of other visual rust. Brackets let go and next thing you know parts drag until sensors disconnect...

Dom, i it were me, i would pull the spare to see if rust has created that clank your unsure of... Especially with the mention of other visual rust. Brackets let go and next thing you know parts drag until sensors disconnect...

I had the spare down already this summer, and a few weeks ago.

I like to drop it 2 times a year to clean the rim and the underside of the truck where the tire sits.
And of course to add air into the tire.
I'm sure it's not the tire.

But, I also have a problem with my spare not going down all the way.. I think the chain/link is broken?

It hangs in the air, won't go to the ground.

a rust neutralizer will stop existing rust from going any further. it works best on surface rust. use it, sand it, prime and paint. if you've already got rot, the only way to stop it and fix it is to cut out the rusted metal and replace it.

a rust neutralizer will stop existing rust from going any further. it works best on surface rust. use it, sand it, prime and paint. if you've already got rot, the only way to stop it and fix it is to cut out the rusted metal and replace it.

I only have paint bubbling so far, so I need to it stop before it rots.
Any recommendation of a neutralizer? Something I can get in Canada?

Bump for other questions.

Back