Door trim misalignment with the dash | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door trim misalignment with the dash

Thanks, guys now I can't do anything else but think about it! Mine looks like photo. How in the heck can this pass QC on a $40k truck? I'll be PMing Corey and following thread for resolution.

On a side note we bought my wife the truck on October 2nd (my birthday, go figure) and it has been amazing. We have been on both a 10 hour round trip and a 16 hour round trip. 2,700 miles. Rides like a dream, even on the dubs!! Lol. We love it.

I think whoever is in charge of putting on the passenger side doors in Chicago needs a new pair of glasses! Maybe head over to Lenscrafters for one of their BOGO deals and pick up a pair for the QC guy at the end of the line.

I too am very pleased with the car overall though. This door situation is just a small gripe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had two different 2013 EXP XLTs last week as rentals, both of the cars have the same mis alignment as my 2011 LTD , as well as huge gaps between the door and dash. This is not as much an assembly issue as much as a design issue. I am looking at getting a 2013 MKX as I will not need as big a car anymore, the gaps ,and alignment of all the parts inside are near perfect in every car I have looked at.

I’m sorry I missed the updates on this thread. In case you guys missed my earlier post, I’m available to help by escalating up to your regional Customer Service Managers. Please send me your contact information (including VIN, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage) and I’ll lend a hand.

...I'll be PMing Corey and following thread for resolution...
I’ll keep an eye out for your PM, edub.

Cory

Well welcome to my world guys but i can one up you. the top of my door panel has actually popped up completely and im not too happy about it

th_385634535_20121224_155048_122_481lo.jpg
th_385636888_20121224_155105_resized_122_370lo.jpg
th_385640810_20121224_155116_resized_122_554lo.jpg

wow nobody jump in all at once and reply to this lol
Unfortunately this is an old problem and I don't think there is too much that can be added that hasn't already been said. Good luck in trying to get it adjusted.

Peter

Dan, looks like they never hung the top of the door cover over the metal sill. Dealer should be able to correct that and look at the alignment at same time.

So has anyone gotten anything other than "it is what it is" on this issue? it really pisses me off that after 3 model years of the vehicle that they have not bothered to do anything about it.

I'm sure it's not by design, and I don't think it's an installation issue either. I really think it's a defective mold for the door panels at their supplier. It's a shame that they are letting as nice a vehicle as this roll off the line with an obvious defect/lack of craftsmanship for 3 years.

Ford no longer cares, or uses the slogan: At Ford Quality is Job One

Just a fun observation. I was at the Philly Auto Show and I noticed that the door trim on the Limited was misaligned and the trim on the XLT was absolutely perfect. Did not look at the base or the sport they had on display. The trim on my 11 limited is was out of line :( ...........

Hey folks,

If you are currently experiencing this concern, I want to see what I can do to help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work.

Thanks,

Crystal
Hi Crystal. I don't think you will be able to do anything about this issue. It appears to be a problem with the way the Explorer is assembled on the line. A couple of members have had some limited success in getting the alignment better but not perfect. Most have had no luck at all. Several have posted that new vehicles on the dealer lot all have the same issue.
Fortunately mine is quite good but it would appear Ford's quality control is severly lacking in this regard. Perhaps you can help by advising that department so the issue can be addressed before the vehicle leaves the plant.

Peter

Just for the record, ours is out of alignment and dealer looked at all his stock and it was all out of alignment. Said I'm better off not messing with it cause it could loosen up and then be worse and squeaky

Re door and dash alinement

I have a 2012 that had this and dealer fixed in less than 20 minutes SO IT CAN BE DONE It looks GREAT 8888 NOW JOHN

Please post pictures of the repaired aligned dash panels

Just for the record, ours is out of alignment and dealer looked at all his stock and it was all out of alignment. Said I'm better off not messing with it cause it could loosen up and then be worse and squeaky

Same story we got. While i'm glad that they were honest that they were not going to be able to fix it and didn't try a botch job, Ford needs to step upan supply a real fix to the dealers.

So has anyone gotten anything other than "it is what it is" on this issue? it really pisses me off that after 3 model years of the vehicle that they have not bothered to do anything about it.

I'm sure it's not by design, and I don't think it's an installation issue either. I really think it's a defective mold for the door panels at their supplier. It's a shame that they are letting as nice a vehicle as this roll off the line with an obvious defect/lack of craftsmanship for 3 years.

Forget the fact that this vehicle has been out for three years. How did this ever happen in the first place?

This is reminiscent of the type of crap that Detroit put out in the 70's that almost put the American auto industry out of business. Ask yourself how Ford can expect the consumer to purchase a car that lists for $30K to $50K ( depending on model ) with this type of alignment on the dash. Oh and lets not forget the rear hatch alignment issues that have been well documented on the forum. Never mind how to fix it, ask yourself how they could possibly let these vehicles out the factory door with these issues. In most cases the dealer simply shrugs and says "thats the way they all are". We shouldn't have to be inconvenienced by taking them back to the dealer, they should NEVER have left the factory in this condition. " Quality is job none".

If Ford really cared about their consumers, they would call all of these back, give the cust. a loaner car while theirs was in the shop and return each car fully cleaned with a full tank of gas for the inconvenience. Even the early Korean junk had better panel alignment that the Ex. Really love the way the Ex rides, drives, and handles and would love to pull the trigger and trade my Ltd in on a new Sport, but can't bring myself to do it with these constant nagging issues that never seem to get resolved.

Alright enough said, I'll get off my soap box now and stop venting, sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone truly got his fixed?
I think that in some cases they can only make it look a little better. A true fix is near impossible since this seems to be a problem in the initial installation on the factory line.:thumbdwn:
Fortunately I am very happy with mine.

Peter

Back