• Register Today It's free!

need inner tie rod help!!

99xpydude

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ex sport 4.0 ohv 2wd
I tried removing my inner tie rod with a rental tool but the tool won't fit over the knuckle in front of the nut used to remove it. Has any one else had this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried that but i couldn't get a good grip in the tight space.

I tried removing my inner tie rod with a rental tool but the tool won't fit over the knuckle in front of the nut used to remove it. Has any one else had this issue?

Had the same issue. Used my die grinder and ground the hole out so it fit over the tie rod. :D

someone just posted a thread on doing this yesterday. with pics. i suggest you look it up, they used the pipe wrench and it looked pretty easy.

I think I know what I was doing incorrectly now. I didn't have the wheel turned to help expose the nut on the back of the inner tie rod. I will try this tonight to see if it helps.

I think I know what I was doing incorrectly now. I didn't have the wheel turned to help expose the nut on the back of the inner tie rod. I will try this tonight to see if it helps.

be advised that if you turn the wheels while they're off the ground you'll have all kinds of noise and vibration in the power steering until you get the air worked out of it again.

Will the air work itself out or will I need do bleed it somehow?

Will the air work itself out or will I need do bleed it somehow?

it will eventually work itself out. you can speed the process up by turnning the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times, engine running with the wheels on the ground.

ok, sounds good! I will go ahead and do that. Thank you everyone for all of the info!

Back