• Register Today It's free!

Kill switch ideas

Karpiel73

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport
I had a brainstorm to install a hidden Killswitch on the Ex in order to prevent anyone stealing it. It would be ideal to cut all power so a slim jim becomes ineffective and the window would have to be broken to get in. Even then it couldnt be stolen because nothing would work. However I would still like to not reprogram the settings in my radio everytime. Any ideas how to go about this? Also, doesn't the ECM reset after 10 minutes w/o power?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont think you understand that doors use mechanical rods to work, this is what a slim jim operates.

imo if they want it they will just tow it away. or push it, or pull it, you get the idea.

01 is a pats vehicle, it already has a kill switch less you have a remote start, or a key in the vehicle.

I don't know exactly how it works but the idea of just taking the wires that prime the starter and make a switch for that, you should keep power.
You can also make a kill switch for the fuel pump so even if they get in and bust your ignition they wont make it very far with no fuel.

Although there is no way to make your vehicle theft proof, you can weed out the average smuck, or kid who wants to go on a joy ride.

dont think you understand that doors use mechanical rods to work, this is what a slim jim operates.

imo if they want it they will just tow it away. or push it, or pull it, you get the idea.

01 is a pats vehicle, it already has a kill switch less you have a remote start, or a key in the vehicle.

I know how doors work, I was referring to a wedge to pry the door away enough to get a slim Jim in and hit the power lock. If someone wants it bad enough to tow it in the middle of the night in an apartment complex while I'm sleeping then so be it.

I don't know exactly how it works but the idea of just taking the wires that prime the starter and make a switch for that, you should keep power.
You can also make a kill switch for the fuel pump so even if they get in and bust your ignition they wont make it very far with no fuel.

Although there is no way to make your vehicle theft proof, you can weed out the average smuck, or kid who wants to go on a joy ride.

I'm trying to come up with a solution so they never move out of the parking space. I've read on forums about the fuel pump and starter but they could pry the door open and hit the power lock and then they're in and stealing my stereo.

Hmmm, I suppose you could install a starter kill module (aftermarket) and wire in a relay, using it to kill the power to the power locks when you arm it, the disarm button would switch on the relay (latching) supplying power to the locks again. Car starters have a built in starter kill feature, it could be used for that.

I was born and raised just outside of Pittsburgh - been there many times and was there a week or so ago. Is it really that bad that you are that worried about your truck?

I was born and raised just outside of Pittsburgh - been there many times and was there a week or so ago. Is it really that bad that you are that worried about your truck?

I'm actually in Charleston, SC. I don't want to change that b/c that's where i'd rather be. :)

I'm actually in Charleston, SC. I don't want to change that b/c that's where i'd rather be. :)

lol ok. Well, is Charlston that bad?

As far as your original post, Im not sure how to get done what you want to do, but Im sure someone on here does

You realize that PATS pretty-much prevents someone from stealing the vehicle don't you? You would have to know your stuff pretty good to start up a vehicle with PATS. There is no need to kill all your power and design a circuit to power your ECM and radio. If all you want is to prevent someone from popping the lock the way you describe (with a wedge) there is a way to kill power to the locks in the way I described.

Crime is everywhere but being from the country where there is no crime I guess I notice crime alot more.

Wood1 could you explain PATS for me?

PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) relies on a special key that has a transponder embedded in the head. The keys you received with your vehicle have all been programmed into the computer in the instrument cluster in your truck. The transponder is why PATS keys are larger than a regular key.

There is an antenna (basically a loop of wire) hidden under the steering column cover around the ignition key cylinder that emits a EMF. This powers the transponder in the key which emits it's unique frequency (programmed into the vehicle's computer) and is picked up by that same antenna. When the computer sees this particular frequency it allows the engine to start. If you simply cut a regular key to match your coded key, you will be able to turn the key cylinder and the engine will start momentarily but then it will die.

PATS is defeatable but not by the average car thief that's for sure. It would take much less time to simply tow a car you wanted to steal.

If you wanna learn about PATS give [thread=234975] this a look see. [/thread]

I didn't know that. Thanks alot for sharing! I'll check that link out too.

With alarm and remote start systems, (I know DEI systems pretty well) You have to have a factory key in a "coffin" under the dash with a remote wire ran to the key cylender for the system to remote start the vehicle. The alarm incorporates a starter wire relay, that allows you to physicly cut your starter wire in half - under the dash - so that the start - remote or by key - goes though the alarm system and triggers that relay. That system is pretty complex to be started without the key.

I know how doors work, I was referring to a wedge to pry the door away enough to get a slim Jim in and hit the power lock. If someone wants it bad enough to tow it in the middle of the night in an apartment complex while I'm sleeping then so be it.

think your mistaken. what you are thinking of lock out took thats not a slim jim.

slim jim's are used between the glass and door to open a rod to unlock it.

honestly, its an ex, its about 3 seconds to use a slim jim and open it. killing the power to the door locks wont even matter. with out power its 3 seconds to slim, im old and dont do this daily and it takes me 5 seconds to get into an ex.

a car theif, will get in faster. pats will be the biggest problem for them, since they need a matching key or programmed key for the truck to start it.

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_5405_346/steck_autobody_stk32900_classic_bigeasy_kit.html is not a slim jim.

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_53118/access_tools_sj2_the_slim_jim.html

that is a slim jim.

A buddy of mine is a wrecking yard owner. He has a Silverado and found it too easy to jimmy the lock (slim jim) so he made a couple shields for the lock rods. Makes it impossible to break into that truck. I do agree, if someone knows how to use a jimmy you can open a door in a couple seconds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back