anyone zip tie there throttle cable ? more hp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone zip tie there throttle cable ? more hp?

dannytech_lt

Reaction score
City, State
Union nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I was on you tube and stumbled upon someone taking the gas pedal and stretching the throttle cable and putting a couple zip ties so when you give it gas you are getting more throttle power n. Anyone do this?

I'm tempted to try it but i guess idle would be a higher rpm since technically I'm puking the throttle cable

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're not giving it more throttle, you're just eliminating the slack on the cable. Zero increase in horsepower. I've seen a few threads on this on truck forums, and personally I wouldn't do it. Wastes gas and engineers design cable slack for a reason. You achieve the same thing by moving your foot faster.

There is on old long thread about doing that on here somewhere. Basically your just taking up the slack so full pedal opens the throttle all the way. Don't take up too much slack or you will stretch the cable even more when you push the throttle all the way.

~Mark

maybe ill just do it as an experiment to pass some time

there is some small slack in gas pedal so maybe a small tug so when im on the highway itll push my fat pig truck around more lol

It really only matters if your throttle plate isnt opening all the way with the pedal. I did the mod and at first its nice to have the pedal there, but now its just like driving any other truck. You get used to it.

It really only matters if your throttle plate isnt opening all the way with the pedal. I did the mod and at first its nice to have the pedal there, but now its just like driving any other truck. You get used to it.

For someone like me who doesn't know the difference with or without using the zip ties I guess I'd notice a difference .. I do go full throttle often for highways and merging I think I'll give it a shot , as long as idle isn't different ain't its not excessive abuse why not worst comes to worse ill take the zip ties off .. I won't cut them down as precaution in case I don't like it

I guess that it was just a matter of time before someone dug this great trick up again. Don't you agree swshawaii? :D

I guess that it was just a matter of time before someone dug this great trick up again. Don't you agree swshawaii? :D
BTW that pic wasn't mine, it happened to Todd Z from MySt and Zabteck. There's no easy fix for a broken throttle cable on the road,
and very few dealers stock it. It's a great trick if you're not compressing the spring and getting the butterfly all the way open at WOT.
Truth is most are, and just removing the slack. Tying a knot on the throttle body end of the cable would accomplish the same thing. :D

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/m...G&VIEW=828950&SUB=828976&sitename=mysporttrac

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/m...&REPLYCOUNT=18&archive=1&sitename=mysporttrac

matter fact im not going to do this.. its not like im gonna have a big increase in HP anyway ..

i messed with the wire today and i really dont see me getting a HP gain which is my only reason id like to experiment doing this

Good, because there are much easier ways to boost the 5.0 ... just look at what the mustang guys do.

matter fact im not going to do this.. its not like im gonna have a big increase in HP anyway ..

i messed with the wire today and i really dont see me getting a HP gain which is my only reason id like to experiment doing this

The zip tie mod will give you hp the same way new plugs give you hp. Your getting your lost hp back, not getting new hp. If your throttle isnt opening all the way your not getting full throttle.

Just put something on the throttle to hold it down and take the air tune off to make sure it is open all the way.

~Mark

i want some pics of zip ties and cable ties, any one help me out???

I know this is a Ford forum but i did just that to fix my girlfriends jeep. If it stretched too far so it can't be tightened any more or simply can not be adjusted, that is a quick fix. I don't know if you get more horse power, but you will have back more top end. It sounds like its wrong but its because you can now get the valve in the throttle body to open up a bit more. Long term fix would be to cut the cable and add on a new end at the throttle, or replace the cable

Back