2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just received a phone call from my dealer. The steering parts are scheduled to ship from somewhere on Friday. Hopefully, our Explorer will be back at home no later than October 26. Wondering if the call from the Regional Customer Service Manager did anything? I did mention the Minnesota lemon law that has 30 business days out of service and it qualifies for repurchase.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

test

just got a call from my dealer too about the steering racks being shipped sometime in the next week. But she did say there were only 2 units.

righty tighty

Just went out to the garage to try your experiment. After two consecutive power steering failures (seems to be getting worse...), I got to try it.

I'm surprised at how easy it was to turn the wheel while not moving, seems different than other vehicles. However, the force on the wheel seemed very even from lock to lock. Never felt like there was slop, but had to peak out the window to make sure the wheels were turning. Just that easy...

Not sure if that helps.

Had the Explorer back to the dealer for this and the pin-stripe removal. The dealer said there was a "bolt loose". Service was gone for the day when I got there and that's all I got for an explanation. Definitely improved the feel. Eh, who needs tight bolts anyway....

Just went out to the garage to try your experiment. After two consecutive power steering failures (seems to be getting worse...), I got to try it.

I'm surprised at how easy it was to turn the wheel while not moving, seems different than other vehicles. However, the force on the wheel seemed very even from lock to lock. Never felt like there was slop, but had to peak out the window to make sure the wheels were turning. Just that easy...

Not sure if that helps.

According to information and data I received from NHTSA, the steering effort is constant... that is the level of effort does not change under any circumstance, because the electronic assist is designed to do that. The electric motor kicks in the required torque as required to maintain around 2.8 ftlbs effort at the wheel at all times, moving or stationary. So in situations where past experioence has conditioned the driver to expect harder steering conditions, they are not therein the design of the EPAS... whic would result in a loose feel when stiffer is expected. my 2 cents. by the way mine is still a wreck under a tarp.

According to information and data I received from NHTSA, the steering effort is constant... that is the level of effort does not change under any circumstance, because the electronic assist is designed to do that. The electric motor kicks in the required torque as required to maintain around 2.8 ftlbs effort at the wheel at all times, moving or stationary. So in situations where past experioence has conditioned the driver to expect harder steering conditions, they are not therein the design of the EPAS... whic would result in a loose feel when stiffer is expected. my 2 cents. by the way mine is still a wreck under a tarp.

This is not the experience that I had. When Traction warning light came on and then my EPAS failed my steering became so hard it was almost like the steering froze. It took all of my strength to move the steering wheel and not hit the wall I was headed right too.

This is not the experience that I had. When Traction warning light came on and then my EPAS failed my steering became so hard it was almost like the steering froze. It took all of my strength to move the steering wheel and not hit the wall I was headed right too.

He's talking about how the steering works under normal use, noting that the steering effort is constant no matter what speed. He's not talking about the effort it takes when it fails.

I want to correct some information I had posted. Testing done by NHTSA as reported to me, with the EPAS working, steering wheel effort at 15 mph max'ed out at 3.8 lbs with 120 steering wheel angle. It is basically linear, no change in effort. When EPAS was off, as in failed, the effort max'ed out at 32 pounds :eek: effort as steering wheel at 120 degree (1/3) turn, almost an order of magnitude greater. (took 10 pounds of wheel force just to initiate turn affecting drive wheels). Note this was at 15 mph and a 0.3g turn.

Convential hydraulic assisted steering on failure does not result in that level of effort, but I don't have specifics on that.

:chug:

I too had a 2012 Explorer fail at 55 mph. The steering wheel froze. I was able to move to the shoulder as I was in the right lane. Who knows what would have happened if I was in a different situation when his happened. Car has been at dealer from Sept. 30th and today is Oct 23rd. Still no part!!!

Just received a phone call from my dealer. The steering parts are scheduled to ship from somewhere on Friday. Hopefully, our Explorer will be back at home no later than October 26. Wondering if the call from the Regional Customer Service Manager did anything? I did mention the Minnesota lemon law that has 30 business days out of service and it qualifies for repurchase.

Have you got your explorer back yet?

No. When I called the dealer on Monday, October 22 they were under the impression that the part was shipping on October 19. Yesterday, when I talked to them again, the parts are back to an unknown ship date. When I have asked the dealer and the regional customer service manager, no one can tell me anything. I have started the paperwork for a repurchase under my states lemon law. We have now passed the 30 days out of service part of the law. Anyone have any feedback on a GMC Acadia?

Anyone have any feedback on a GMC Acadia?

Definitely not the best choice if you're looking for a really reliable vehicle. The Toyota Highlander has much better reliability, as well as the Honda Pilot. Neither are cars that I particularly like, but I'd probably go with the Highlander over the Pilot.

Definitely not the best choice if you're looking for a really reliable vehicle. The Toyota Highlander has much better reliability, as well as the Honda Pilot. Neither are cars that I particularly like, but I'd probably go with the Highlander over the Pilot.

I would go with an Expedition.

I would go with an Expedition.

That's a good vehicle, but the increased difficulty in parking and maneuvering as well as the worse fuel economy makes it a little less appealing. And it costs more... I wouldn't recommend it unless you need the extra towing capacity and room. But if none of that matters to the buyer, then yes, it's a good choice.

This thread is sliding off track. It was opened to discussion steering issues, not replacement vehicles.
Thanks.

Peter

I got my explorer back this week with the new steering rack. It has been 5 weeks in the shop. Dealership did a good job and I got the use of a rented Yukon for the time and no charge to me! ( I do like my ford better then the Yukon though) I am concerned about down the road what problems will pop up in the next year when I am out of warranty!!This vehicle has presented me with various problems MFT and false instrument warnings? I looked at the new Fusion got my wife today, but it scares me based on my current experience with the explorer. I think this is a problem Ford needs to address to current ford owners. Just my opinion.

Just received a call from the BBB telling me Ford is repurchasing my 2011 Explorer, I will receive a check for we paid (including tax, title extended warranty, etc., basically reversing the transaction)for the Explorer minus .10 per mile for the miles we put on it. It has been sitting at the dealer since September 17 waiting for parts. Will have the money within 45 days I'm told. I just started the paperwork last week. Wow was that quick.

Update: Brought my explorer in on 9/21 for the steering wheel issue. Still no part... (10/29).

Lemon laws vary state by state. I have 27,x.. miles. I think it would be worth a call to the BBB at 800-955-5100 (M-F 9am to 5:30pm EST). They are in Arlington, VA so it might be harder to get hold of someone today or tomorrow. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lemon laws vary state by state. I have 27,x.. miles. I think it would be worth a call to the BBB at 800-955-5100 (M-F 9am to 5:30pm EST). They are in Arlington, VA so it might be harder to get hold of someone today or tomorrow. Good luck.

Deleted my initial response because I found out Lemon Law in Alabama is actually 12K miles.

Ford is also unwilling to extend my warranty. I'm likely going to be in a situation where I have to sell my Explorer for a loss since Ford isn't willing to warranty their work.

Back