Oil Change interval | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

all good info! it is pretty easy to understand. change the oil in relativity to driving habits/workload (trailers, cargo, etc.), atmospheric conditions, and quality of oil, etc. all of these factor into what oil you should choose and how often to change it.

I think one of the most important things is to UOA test the oil and filter after a particular duration of driving. the tests shouldn't lie as to whether or not things are in spec or not. I will definitely be getting one with my 7500 mile change.

Personally, i think Mobil1 should definitely do the trick for me, with either a ford racing or mobil1 filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plan on going with with Mobil1 Synthetic and Fram filter. Didn't have any issues the past 4 years with an '08 Escape.

I just changed it every 3-4K miles and will most likely hold off a little longer this time around.

I plan on going with with Mobil1 Synthetic and Fram filter. Didn't have any issues the past 4 years with an '08 Escape.

I just changed it every 3-4K miles and will most likely hold off a little longer this time around.

Too often for a full synthetic. It'll be good for at least 5000 miles, but it's your money. 5000 miles is an easy OCI to keep track of. Motorcraft is a much better filter than Fram for the same price.

I use Pennzoil Platinum with a Mobil 1 or K&N filter and change it when the dash display says CHANGE OIL NOW!!! (none of that SOON bullcrap :D ), typically around 7000-7200 miles. I've sent used oil to the lab and they said it was fine.

Use the oil life monitor.

I posted a UOA on here last week for 10K miles on Mobil 1. Bottom line...it's good to 10K.

I've got 6,5000 miles on Amsoil and I'm sending the sample to blackstone tomorrow. I'll post my results

I've got 6,5000 miles on Amsoil and I'm sending the sample to blackstone tomorrow. I'll post my results

How many miles??

Peter

Did you just pull a sample or do a full change? Amsoil ought to be good for many more miles than 6,500. (unless you really meant 65,000, which is WAY too long :) )

Haha oops, 6,500 miles. I just did a sample, I'm waiting till 12,000 unless I get bad news from Blackstone. I might do it a little early this time since my last oil was Castrol Syntec which doesn't have any detergents... so the Amsoil is looking a little black :( we'll see though, it isn't super black. Still got some gold to it

Haha oops, 6,500 miles. I just did a sample, I'm waiting till 12,000 unless I get bad news from Blackstone. I might do it a little early this time since my last oil was Castrol Syntec which doesn't have any detergents... so the Amsoil is looking a little black :( we'll see though, it isn't super black. Still got some gold to it

Cool. I'd love to see the UOAs, especially at 12k.

I've been getting the oil changed at WalMart. Currently using Mobil 0W40 and the best Frame filter they offer (Extra Guard, IIRC). Out the door, it's about $75. Been doing oil changes every 7,000-7,500 miles. Turning over 56,000 miles this week.

In our '08 Escape we did use the oil life monitor...it came up every 3500-4000 miles. I assume b/c of the driving conditions out here in NM. Altitude, heat, and city mix.

I assume then that you are not referring to the '97 XLT that shows in the left margin profile. If you do, then you do way less driving then I do. What vehicle/model do you have?

Peter

I've been getting the oil changed at WalMart. Currently using Mobil 0W40 and the best Frame filter they offer (Extra Guard, IIRC). Out the door, it's about $75. Been doing oil changes every 7,000-7,500 miles. Turning over 56,000 miles this week.
Your only about 49,000 miles ahead of me Bill. :D

Peter

It is the 97 xlt. Mom bought it when I was 15 for as the family truck with 96,x.. miles. I got it a year later with 102,x... I drive 42 miles round trip to work, and 9X miles round trip to school. Work 3 days a week, go to school 2. Usually drive 80 miles round trip on Sunday to go ride.
I average a little over 25,000 a year.

Bill, why pay walmart $75 to do your oil?!?!? Thats about what I paid for 5 quarts of Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series and a filter. Of course I'm changing the oil myself but you see my point. Changing oil isn't hard

Bill, why pay walmart $75 to do your oil?!?!? Thats about what I paid for 5 quarts of Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series and a filter. Of course I'm changing the oil myself but you see my point. Changing oil isn't hard

Why?

2 words:

1) Company
2) Car
:)

Plus, on weekends, I am attending my daughters' soccer matches, basketball games, dance performances, school plays, ....and the list goes on.

In my free time, I break out my Porsches (Boxster and 993 Turbo) and terroize farmers, cattle and Amish on remote counrty roads in southwestern Wisconsin. I routinely drive about 200 highway miles to rip through 120 miles of great country roads.

The P-cars do NOT go to WalMart.;)

Does anyone know the torque settings for the oil drain plug? Necessary or not, I'm going to change my oil at 600 miles and put in some Mobil 1 synthetic. But as I have a tendency to "over-tighten" things I like going by the books on things. Been searching the forum for probably longer than the oil change will take, but no luck so far.

Vehicle is 2013 Explorer Sport :)

Does anyone know the torque settings for the oil drain plug? Necessary or not, I'm going to change my oil at 600 miles and put in some Mobil 1 synthetic. But as I have a tendency to "over-tighten" things I like going by the books on things. Been searching the forum for probably longer than the oil change will take, but no luck so far.

Vehicle is 2013 Explorer Sport :)
Welcome to the Forum gratney and Happy New Year! :wavey:
I don't know if there is an actual torque setting for the drain plug. I can't be bothered doing it myself and have the dealer do. I'm sure someone will reply if there is one.
Good luck.

Peter

FWIW, I changed my oil over this past weekend; my first DIY change on this vehicle. Here's my take. This was the second oil change since the dealer provided the first one for free. The drain plug was very tight and I had to use the long ratchet to break it loose...seemed way too tight to me. Never-the-less, I gave it a pretty good tug going back in, but used the shorter handle tool. I know it's not very exact. I do own a torque wrench, but I've never used it on a drain plug.

I was very pleased with how easy it was to change. I was able to remove the oil filter without raising the front of the car using only my hand to loosen. Once I located the oil drain, I pulled a floor jack out and raised the front of the car about 3". This made reaching the bolt and positioning the oil catch-pan much easier. Filling was simple as the fill tube is right at the front of the engine. I only found one drop of oil on the ground when I finished. This is one of the easiest changes I've done on a vehicle in quite some time. (My Ex is FWD)

Due to the Christmas and New Year holiday's I had let the Oil Life Indicator run down to 8%. It was pretty black, but all there. I too went with Mobile 1 Synthetic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This Thread, and for that matter the whole Forum is such a Hoot....just plain laughable.......Does anybody really know what they are talking about? ......best regards Plum

Back