• Register Today It's free!

Add Me To Sync Woes List

OzzieMike

Reaction score
City, State
Broken Arrow, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Our 2013 XLT AWD Exp had its first "serious" sync issue today.

I parked the car for 5 minutes, turning it off to take care of something. When I got back in the car and started it, I noticed that, even though the Entertainment was still set to the Sirius channel it was at before I parked, there was no audio. I noticed it said "Audio Off" in the right hand side dash display. I thought that was odd, so I pushed the Power button on the MFT, and it had no effect. I then tried changing to an FM station, which it did...now with audio. But the station presets section and the rest of the screen was still displaying Sirius, not FM. When I got home, I put it in park and shut the car off...but the FM radio was still playing! I tried starting the car up, but the symptoms remained.

A Master Reset seemed to fix things....but even that took forever. (Reset warning displayed...I acknowledged it...then, eventually, the screen went dark and stayed there. I pressed the power button and, eventually, got the Microsoft Sync screen, with a progress bar that said it was performing scheduled maintenance. Eventually it all went back to normal.

I found it VERY odd that my station presets were still there, but that I had to re-pair Bluetooth with my phone, and that all my Quick Dial numbers were gone.

I'm hoping there's a MAJOR update in the works at Ford that addresses the root cause of the MFT issues (e.g. Programming it in native language vs. the current Flash environment?). Very disappointing to me that, after several years now, Ford's only been able to slap a couple of band aids on the issue, but has yet to actually FIX it.Sure makes one wonder what it's going to take before Ford realizes it has a SERIOUS quality issue that CAN be fixed with some first-class programming.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, OzzieMike!

Which software version are you currently running on MFT? Also, the Master Reset only sets SYNC and Navigation back to factory defaults. The radio presets will not be erased.

Rebecca

Hi, Rebecca,

I have Version 3.0.2 on my MFT. The syncmyride website shows there's an update available, but I've not downloaded it for a couple of reasons:

1. It says it could take up to an hour to install, and I haven't found an opportunity yet where I know I can keep the car running for up to an hour.

2. From what I can read in these forums, the only thing the update changes is to put the outside temperature back onto the Home screen. It doesn't seem to have magically "fixed" anyone's MFT responsiveness.

Thanks for taking the time to help everyone here, Rebecca!

Mike

As an update to this, I updated MFT to 3.2.2 today. There was a sense of urgency because when I got home from work the radio kept playing after I'd turned the truck off and locked the doors.

Time will tell if this update results in any measurable improvements. On the plus side, the outside temp displays on the main display next to the time.

Update took about an hour total. It would have taken less, but when I tried to download the update on my Mac using Safari it wouldn't proceed because if the ActiveX requirement. I had to boot into Windows (I have Boot Camp w/Windows 7 on my Mac) and use Internet Explorer to download the files.

The update does put you back to square one though...have to repair the phone, reenter radio presets, Quick Dial numbers, navigation addresses, etc. after installing the update.

4 more years!!! :D

LOL I'm so awesome I didn't have to be present for the Presidential Debate! :p:

As an update to this, I updated MFT to 3.2.2 today. There was a sense of urgency because when I got home from work the radio kept playing after I'd turned the truck off and locked the doors.

Time will tell if this update results in any measurable improvements. On the plus side, the outside temp displays on the main display next to the time.

Update took about an hour total. It would have taken less, but when I tried to download the update on my Mac using Safari it wouldn't proceed because if the ActiveX requirement. I had to boot into Windows (I have Boot Camp w/Windows 7 on my Mac) and use Internet Explorer to download the files.

The update does put you back to square one though...have to repair the phone, reenter radio presets, Quick Dial numbers, navigation addresses, etc. after installing the update.

Keep us posted on how your system is working!

Rebecca

So far, the system seems to be working OK. (Hasn't continued to play the radio after shutting the truck off, anyway!).

One glitch I noticed this morning upon first starting out was that it showed my phone was paired...then 30 seconds later I see that the phone display area (upper left corner) changed to "add a phone". My phone was connected, though....nothing seemed to change this until I clicked on Disconnect, then clicked Connect...phone's back to normal now. No idea what happened to cause this...am hoping it's a one-time thing.

So far, the system seems to be working OK. (Hasn't continued to play the radio after shutting the truck off, anyway!).

One glitch I noticed this morning upon first starting out was that it showed my phone was paired...then 30 seconds later I see that the phone display area (upper left corner) changed to "add a phone". My phone was connected, though....nothing seemed to change this until I clicked on Disconnect, then clicked Connect...phone's back to normal now. No idea what happened to cause this...am hoping it's a one-time thing.

Sometimes after an update or Master Reset, a phone and MFT will do this. I've noticed that a simple reboot of the phone will usually take care of the issue.

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca...I will try rebooting my phone before I head home from work in just a little bit and see if that takes care of this issue. (It did the same thing to me again at lunch).

I will report back if this occurs again.

Rebooting the phone may have done the trick, as I didn't have to "disconnect-reconnect" it when I left work yesterday. Thanks again for the suggestion!

642 miles before MFT disappointment

Just to piggyback off a related thread.... Have 600 miles on the new 2013 Explorer Limited. Running 3.2.2 off the the lot. Today we leave to go shopping, back out of the driveway and the backup cam goes black. We think WTF?? Thats kinda distracting and dangerous. We are new to this debacle known as MFT. Black screen as we are driving for about 3 minutes. Kids are screaming for their music. Finally see the performing scheduled system maintenance screen. Think, hmmm, ok that's cool. Got an update. Well then every 10 minutes or so, it does it again. 3 times. We finally figure out the system is crashing. Did it again trying to back out of the crowded store parking lot. No backup camera or aids or anything else the system brings to the table. Unbelievable. Nothing hooked up to USB. Only a bluetooth connection to my Motorola Droid 3. What a half baked system. My wife is furious we just spent this kind of money on a vehicle that is run by a buggy computer. She was thrilled when I told her research shows this has been going on for years and they can't fix it right. She was in tears thinking about how much money we just forked out for this experience.

Just to piggyback off a related thread.... Have 600 miles on the new 2013 Explorer Limited. Running 3.2.2 off the the lot. Today we leave to go shopping, back out of the driveway and the backup cam goes black. We think WTF?? Thats kinda distracting and dangerous. We are new to this debacle known as MFT. Black screen as we are driving for about 3 minutes. Kids are screaming for their music. Finally see the performing scheduled system maintenance screen. Think, hmmm, ok that's cool. Got an update. Well then every 10 minutes or so, it does it again. 3 times. We finally figure out the system is crashing. Did it again trying to back out of the crowded store parking lot. No backup camera or aids or anything else the system brings to the table. Unbelievable. Nothing hooked up to USB. Only a bluetooth connection to my Motorola Droid 3. What a half baked system. My wife is furious we just spent this kind of money on a vehicle that is run by a buggy computer. She was thrilled when I told her research shows this has been going on for years and they can't fix it right. She was in tears thinking about how much money we just forked out for this experience.

If it is continually crashing you may have a defective component. I'd run it back to the dealer. I don't think a continuous reboot is a common issue related to software woes. It may just be bad luck (or good luck, depending on how you look at it), and you need the APIM replaced.

Rebooting the phone may have done the trick, as I didn't have to "disconnect-reconnect" it when I left work yesterday. Thanks again for the suggestion!

:thumbsup: Glad to see it worked! :)

Hi, briandoc!

I agree with nnichols, and suggest giving your dealer a shout. From what you described, there may be an issue with your MyFord Touch that your dealer can help diagnose. Please keep us posted on the outcome!

Rebecca

That's not a normal symptom. There were some problems awhile back with it, but in general very few people have been reporting black screen of death problems.

Our 2013 XLT AWD Exp had its first "serious" sync issue today.

I parked the car for 5 minutes, turning it off to take care of something. When I got back in the car and started it, I noticed that, even though the Entertainment was still set to the Sirius channel it was at before I parked, there was no audio. I noticed it said "Audio Off" in the right hand side dash display. I thought that was odd, so I pushed the Power button on the MFT, and it had no effect. I then tried changing to an FM station, which it did...now with audio. But the station presets section and the rest of the screen was still displaying Sirius, not FM. When I got home, I put it in park and shut the car off...but the FM radio was still playing! I tried starting the car up, but the symptoms remained.

A Master Reset seemed to fix things....but even that took forever.

We just experienced a very similar issue with 3.2.2. We were playing off our USB drive. This morning when my wife started the car it would "show" that it was playing the USB with song time clicking along (in fact she used voice command to play a specific artists and it switched), but no USB would play. Instead she was stuck with AM radio. FM and CD worked too, but it would still show the USB playing .. when it wasn't.

Eventually had to do a Master reset which fixed things, but causes us to have to go back and resync phones etc.

Back