Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
I started my Ex up yesterday after stopping to pick something up and it 'dinged' and popped up a message on the screen that said something like "Nav or Navigation SD Card Fault" ' Please insert Nav SD Card' or some such. It stayed up a while on the screen until I dismissed it. At the next stop light I reached down and popped the card out for about 5 seconds and re-inserted and all was well.....weird.

Anyone else had this happen? Thoughts on why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It happens to me ALL THE TIME. I reported it on the bugs thread. Let me guess, you stopped somewhere near where you where (short ride) and picked something quickly (MFT off for just a couple of minutes), right?

Yep, Eactly

Yes, exactly. Went two miles to a Domino's pizza and was in and out quickly.

Hey, guys!

For now, re-seat your SD card if you get the error again. If the error doesn't go away after re-seating your SD card, please visit your dealer for service.

Hope you both had a great Thanksgiving!

Rebecca

It happens to me ALL THE TIME. I reported it on the bugs thread. Let me guess, you stopped somewhere near where you where (short ride) and picked something quickly (MFT off for just a couple of minutes), right?

I have also had this error about 3x; 2 after cold starts. Maddeningly, like all of my other MFT errors, the error inexplicably goes away (i.e., it doesn't work when I actually need it to get somewhere but suddenly works again when I am trying to show the error to someone else). If it was just broken, I could have it fixed or replaced. As it is now, I print maps off the internet before I go anywhere new (just in case the Nav is not working) completely negating the reason I paid extra for Nav in the first place.

Happens on short runs, I just remove and reset the card it's done.

Hi everyone ,hi Rebecca I posted this before in another thread about my SDcard fault, now it is over a month with the problem and the dealer did the last "fix" (replace the media hub),after leaving the shop not even a block away it happens again.So I talked to the dealer and they told me thats all they can do and I have to wait until the new software comes out.So, what they are telling me is that every vehicle sold with this software is having this problem?(thousands of Vehicles?) We tried everythiing from what you suggested to reset card to the dealership and nothing helps to get rid of the error. Now it is locked no navigation at all. at the end of December it will be 2 months of dealing with this. If we have to wait till the 1st quarter, (which could be until the end of March) that will be 5 month of no navigation, that we have paid for.... what is FORD going to do for us ? We need a better response then 'you have to wait' which will not help with the fustration.

Hi everyone ,hi Rebecca I posted this before in another thread about my SDcard fault, now it is over a month with the problem and the dealer did the last "fix" (replace the media hub),after leaving the shop not even a block away it happens again.So I talked to the dealer and they told me thats all they can do and I have to wait until the new software comes out.So, what they are telling me is that every vehicle sold with this software is having this problem?(thousands of Vehicles?) We tried everythiing from what you suggested to reset card to the dealership and nothing helps to get rid of the error. Now it is locked no navigation at all. at the end of December it will be 2 months of dealing with this. If we have to wait till the 1st quarter, (which could be until the end of March) that will be 5 month of no navigation, that we have paid for.... what is FORD going to do for us ? We need a better response then 'you have to wait' which will not help with the fustration.

argeboy,

Please PM me your VIN so I can look into this further for you. Also include your dealership name, city, and state.

Thanks!

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca I just sent you the information you requested. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hey, guys!

For now, re-seat your SD card if you get the error again. If the error doesn't go away after re-seating your SD card, please visit your dealer for service.

Hope you both had a great Thanksgiving!

Rebecca
I tired to create a backup SD card for my 2012 Explorer, but the system can't read the backup. Is there a special copy technique/ Thanks, Tom

I tired to create a backup SD card for my 2012 Explorer, but the system can't read the backup. Is there a special copy technique/ Thanks, Tom

I imagine the card is copy protected/encrypted for security reasons.

I imagine the card is copy protected/encrypted for security reasons.
That may be true, but other postings led me to believe that it was possible to create a backup against theft of the card. Tom

I did a quick search on Google and got lots of hits, most referring to something called 'Winhex'. Funny thing was, the people asking for help never seemed to get it to work the way the people offering the help said it should!?!

I think it is a case of basically defeating the DRM loaded on the SD Card, and copying the card. Of course, that is illegal. It is possible that Ford has some sort of policy in place to help customers with stolen NAV cards (maybe with a police report type of thing...).

Maybe Rebecca can chime in with Ford's policies on such occurrences.

Then again, a theft from the automobile would be something for your automobile insurance, but I can understand why you would want to avoid that hassle!

Hi, Tom!

VinceL is correct. The SD cards are copy-protected and encrypted so you won't be able to make a copy of it. If your SD card is lost or stolen, you would have to contact your dealership to get a new one.

Rebecca

Also happened to me the other day on a short run. Unplugged card and plugged back in and it resolved itself. Great..............

NAV Screen Not working properly

Bought a 2013 Ford Explorer and at 3700 miles (yes, 3700 miles!!!) the NAV screen stopped working! The dealership states it is not compatible with my iPhone. I can't understand why it would not be compatible with the most popular phone on the market. We were supposed to have a "fix" in two days. But have not received that call from Ford. Looks like we will return this vehicle soon as we need a working NAV system.

In fact, I don't believe onscreen NAV (not the SYNC turn-by-turn) even requires a phone at all to work.

In fact, I don't believe onscreen NAV (not the SYNC turn-by-turn) even requires a phone at all to work.

It does not. The card/GPS based optional Nav has nothing to do with a phone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought a 2013 Ford Explorer and at 3700 miles (yes, 3700 miles!!!) the NAV screen stopped working! The dealership states it is not compatible with my iPhone. I can't understand why it would not be compatible with the most popular phone on the market. We were supposed to have a "fix" in two days. But have not received that call from Ford. Looks like we will return this vehicle soon as we need a working NAV system.

Hi, reaganpetey!

Please describe what isn't functioning. Do you receive an error message when in NAV, do you have a blank/black screen, and have you tried re-seating the SD card? Let me know when you get a chance!

Rebecca

Back